Winters Classic Horse Abortions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gosh I am so sorry to hear of this and especially the loss of your foals. I hope all recover quickly and that their are no more loss'. Thank you for posting this, so that others can be aware.

Beth

Oh! This is so awful, I am so sorry and will keep you all in my prayers for a quick recovery.

Robin

I am so sorry, what a nightmare!
default_no.gif

Last year after congress i had the pony get really sick that i had taken and there was no way for me to isolate him, he had already been in contact with most the other horses. It spead down the barn isleway, every morning another horse sick. I know how it feels
default_sad.png

Also, i believe at congress a week prior they went through and disinfected all the stalls, i am sure i read this somewhere and i STILL had a horse(s) get sick. So did others
default_sad.png

Im sorry, i hope no one else has any problems
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Leeana,

I had one pony at Congress and she came home sick to, two weeks of it. Thankfully no one else came down with it.

I am so sorry, what a nightmare!
default_no.gif

Last year after congress i had the pony get really sick that i had taken and there was no way for me to isolate him, he had already been in contact with most the other horses. It spray down the barn isleway, every morning another horse sick. I know how it feels
default_sad.png

Also, i believe at congress a week prior they went through and disinfected all the stalls, i am sure i read this somewhere and i STILL had a horse(s) get sick. So did others
default_sad.png

Im sorry, i hope no one else has any problems
default_sad.png

Hi! This is my first post and I was prompted to write because I too was at the Breeders Winter Classic Sale and purchased two colts from different barns. Being an experienced horse person, I did isolate the colts, but the bug still infected other horses. We have 25 horses and to date about 20 are sick. We did have a pregnant mare come down with the bug; she had been fully vaccinated with both Pneumamort and then a full series of shots (5 way, strangles, tetanus, rabies, WNV, etc) about 2 weeks prior to the sale. I'm happy to report that she had a live baby on Mon morning - he was just shy of 10 months gestation and is at the vet while he gets strong enough to come home. However, I have a 3yr old big horse that is also at the vet with pneumonia and neurologic symptoms (hind end ataxia). The vet has sent blood work looking for rhino and epm. If he has the neurologic form of rhino, this is really bad news. The blood work is due back on Thurs and I will let you know what we find out. Meanwhile, if you have sick horses; disinfect (it can't hurt), take temps, and watch for symptoms. We've treated most with Tribressin (oral paste form of SMZ) and Banamine.

I've shown horses for over 30 yrs and never seen such an outbreak after an event.

Hi! This is my first post and I was prompted to write because I too was at the Breeders Winter Classic Sale and purchased two colts from different barns. Being an experienced horse person, I did isolate the colts, but the bug still infected other horses. We have 25 horses and to date about 20 are sick. We did have a pregnant mare come down with the bug; she had been fully vaccinated with both Pneumamort and then a full series of shots (5 way, strangles, tetanus, rabies, WNV, etc) about 2 weeks prior to the sale. I'm happy to report that she had a live baby on Mon morning - he was just shy of 10 months gestation and is at the vet while he gets strong enough to come home. However, I have a 3yr old big horse that is also at the vet with pneumonia and neurologic symptoms (hind end ataxia). The vet has sent blood work looking for rhino and epm. If he has the neurologic form of rhino, this is really bad news. The blood work is due back on Thurs and I will let you know what we find out. Meanwhile, if you have sick horses; disinfect (it can't hurt), take temps, and watch for symptoms. We've treated most with Tribressin (oral paste form of SMZ) and Banamine.

I've shown horses for over 30 yrs and never seen such an outbreak after an event.
Thankyou for posting and letting us know about your horses. I am glad that your foal is alive - and hopefully strong enough to come home soon. Are the two colts that you bought at the sale OK? Please keep us posted on your big horse - I am praying that he gets through this.
default_no.gif

The two yearling colts that I bought are fine now. They both got 5 days of Tribressin. I've still got them quarantined with the other sickies until everyone in their group is healthy. I had so many sick that I had to make a "boys" sick pen and a "girls" sick pen! I actually only have two minis that have not gotten sick. Horses on either side of them in the barn got sick, but these two didn't. Now, they're the only ones left in the barn!

Oh wow, I am so sorry for all of you going through this nightmare. I will keep your horses in my thoughts and prayers, I am sure this is a very difficult time with everyone expecting new foals.

Please keep us updated.....
default_sad.png

Sorry to hear about all that everyone is going thru. Certainly not the end results anyone was looking for coming out of this sale. From reading all these post I would have to guess the "bug" going around is highly transmissable airborn. Too many horses have come down with it (although there may be more than one type of infection going round), and many others at home are catching it in a very short time span to be anything but airborn. Sad part is the ventilation system at the facility probably helped spread it and the carrier/s could have been anywhere in the facility. We've been thru same thing showing cattle and sometimes all the prevention measures known won't prevent the spread of some viruses.

Hoping for a full recovery for all!

In past years our yearlings would get sick after shows. Then it would spread to everyone else. Went through SMZs and other antibiotics. Seemed like it was months before we'd get everyone over it!

I got desperate after we picked up 3 horses at an auction a few years ago and they came down with colds. Two of them took 3 months to finally get over snotting and coughing. Our vet tried different antibiotics, then finally he gave them equistem (sp?). They finally kicked it. After that experience I put the show horses on a natural immune booster. I've provided the link below. KNOCK ON WOOD...........We have not had any illness in 3 years. We didn't show last year so it's hard to count that year.

About 2 weeks before I put my show horses in the barn they get about 1/8 teaspoon once a day. I continue that untill after our last show. I just use it through the show season to give them an extra boost.

http://www.herbs4horses.com/equine-product...er-c-38_17.html

Don't know if it's luck or what, but I'll continue the process as long as it works!
default_yes.gif

Lynda

Got my registration papers in the mail today for the two mares we bought at the sale but unfortunately I will not be needing one of them. The second mare that aborted, Laurel Acres Rowdy Rockets Ruby, died this morning. I am making arrangements to take her to A&M to have an Autopsy done. I still have over 20 horses with coughs and snotty noses. I can only pray that the other horse from the sale that aborted, Diamond Tree Fantastics Mabeline, will make it. I think I am done with auctions.
default_sad.png
Bob

default_no.gif
Oh no...Bob and Sherry, I am so very sorry about the loss of your mare. I hope yours, and all other people's horses from that sale also will be OK. So sorry for all of you. Sending prayers to all.
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif

I am soo very sorry to hear this. I hope the rest of your herd will fair better.

Bob and Sherry,

I am so sorry to hear of your losses. I'll be praying for you and your herd. What an awful Tragedy.

God Bless,

I am just heart sick for everyone involved! The losses! The illnesses! Prayers heading out every direction!

Viki

Oh no Bob and Sherry - my heart goes out to you - this is worse than a nightmare. How horrible - it was bad enough that the mares aborted - and now this. I bought at a sale and ended up with scaley scabs all over one of the horses - and I was worried about that - now I know that there is so much worse that can happen at sales, shows, etc.

I wish it had turned out differently for you - this is tragic. Please post the results of the autopsy (if you can bear to).

Oh my - big hugs and lots of prayers - as the tears are running down my face thinking of what you and your horses are going through.
default_no.gif

Prayers-6.gif

Oh Bob, I am just sick for you and Sherry.

All of us affected by this 'thing' are just living in a state of constant fear that this will be the outcome for us too.

We thought things were beginning to turn around here on our farm, but had to put two more horses on meds this morning. Those two (two of the 5 who had not gotten sick) had been symptom free untill now.
default_sad.png

Now we're just waiting to see if mares abort or if foals expected right now are going to get it right after birth.

I am just so sorry to hear this news.

Charlotte

Bob & Sherry,

I am so very sorry for your loss, and for everyone going through this.....
default_no.gif

Please let us know what the autopsy says, this is very concerning that something can be going through to so many horses, causing abortions and even death.....this is just a nightmare for everyone involved!

Our prayers to you all!
default_pray.gif

Back