Why did you choose a mini over a pony?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One issue I'm having with this size pony is that equipment seems to fall on either side of their size range. For instance, mini cart shafts are too short and narrow, while "pony" size carts and harnesses are a bit big. I am looking at customized equipment that specifically fits these odd sized ponies.
Anytime you get a horse (pony) that is basically below Cob-size, custom is the way to go. I haven't met too many off-the-rack pony OR mini harnesses that fit anything. You can get closer when you work with a reputable harness maker, but cheap equipment almost never fits anything and you end up spending more to get it to fit. Been there, done that. Won't do that again.

"Buy quality, cry once"

We just bought a Section C Welsh 12.3 hand pony mare, and we are LOVING her! No concerns about overfacing, plenty of power, but still not too big (and she moves like a "real" horse.
default_aktion033.gif
) Actually, when we show photos of her, we have had friends that have a hard time believing she is only 12.3. We also have both A and B driving minis, and the length of leg, reach, and power is incomparable in the Bs vs the As. And there is less concern about overfacing with the Bs, but it is still easy to add too much weight, especially in a crummy surface. The small As are great for beginner drivers and kids, but eventually I felt like I "outgrew" them (challenge-wise) and wanted more horse. The difference between driving a small A and a big B is like a Shetland Pony and a Warmblood, especially in obstacles. "Borderline" minis can have characteristics of either As or Bs depending on the individual horse, some are "wimpy" and some have more power. Ponies are a little more to "handle" in facilities, feed, transportation (you need a real trailer, not a "mini" van...
default_rolleyes.gif
) and actual training. Although I don't believe in treating any horse like it isn't a 17 hand warmblood, the minis are easier to "deal" with.

Myrna

RhineStone said:
The small As are great for beginner drivers and kids, but eventually I felt like I "outgrew" them (challenge-wise) and wanted more horse. The difference between driving a small A and a big B is like a Shetland Pony and a Warmblood, especially in obstacles. "Borderline" minis can have characteristics of either As or Bs depending on the individual horse, some are "wimpy" and some have more power.
Good points! I can see how with a true A mini (like under 33" and not one with a super-charged personality) a forward driver might easily get bored. I've been lucky- Kody is wimpy when it comes to physical pulling power because of his hind end conformation but he's always been amazingly forward and fun to drive so I've never felt any lack except for not being able to take passengers and having to carefully watch what kind of cart I hitch him to. I'll admit some envy of my friend's sturdy B mares as they have the same "Warmblood in a tiny package" feel but have a LOT more power and she never has to worry about overfacing them in the course of routine driving. I like the 33-34" minis personally as I don't want to have to compete with the big-moving Shetland-bred B's at the registry shows but they sure are nice!

Leia

I chose A minis because 1) I am old and 2) I am small (under 5" and under 100 pounds)... and maybe a bit wimpy. So with my size, pulling power isn't really an issue and I doubt I would feel perfectly comfortable driving some of the ponies I have seen. (Love to watch them though). I am hoping that our new mare - Buckeye WCF Last Dance - will be the perfect compromise, as she is a tall A, and moves like a dream, yet (in the 30 hours she has been here LOL!) seems to have just the perfect temperament - brave, sensible, smart, and very loving.

Back