Where to Start Finding a Trainer?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for all the info, and thanks Ashley - I will send you an email. I am not sure if I want to trek up to Ohio, but I will certainly keep you in mind, since your horses look lovely.

I will also look into Laura and Joe - if I do send him there, I will certainly send him off-season. Maybe I can save up for late fall and have him ready by spring.
default_smile.png

I know I need to buy a harness and cart, however I figured if I went ahead and put him in training, it would give me some time to get the money together, that way by the time he's ready, I wil then have a cart. I'm also trying to save for a trip abroad and several other things, so I have to budget accordingly. I think that having him trained is the most important thing, especially since I imagine it would take more than 30 days to have him ready to go. That would give me an extra 60-90 days to get that cart.

Thanks for the mention about him being trained for pleasure driving and not show - didn't even think of that.
default_smile.png
You are welcome!

For prices... I offer off season training at $300, show season is $450. Off season is when I typically get more of the pleasure horses, or future show horses that haven't been started yet.

Most trainers (I do) will require you to have a harness for your horse, but not a cart. If you don't know much about it, the best thing to do is to work with the trainer and they can help you buy one that fits properly. As a rule of thumb, I generally say it take 3-4 months of training for the average horse, to be considered generally safe. Keep in mind though, it varies based on the horse. It could take longer if the horse is skiddish/scared/ not handled much. Or some horses are just slow learners or stubborn. There are others that learn quicker!

I have one of Ashley's mares that she bred and trained... Versatility Farms Expect Love.... She is ABSOLUTELY bombproof...and she is not a dead head horse at all.. Whatever Ashley exposed her to during training has allowed her to accept anything that is going on around her without it distracting her. She is trained for in the show ring and out on the trail.

Also know that Joe and Laura are excellent and you couldn't find more honest, skilled people to put your horse with...

Latest posts

Back