When an AMHR-B measures over 38" - - then what?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The NSPR is a performance division meant for people who for example breed an ASPC stallion to an Arabian mare etc. Think larger riding pony
default_smile.png
Ive seen some really great examples

An "A" miniature horse is 34" or under at the last hair of the mane. A "B" miniature horse is over 34" up to and including 38" at the last hair of the mane.

Anything over is NOT a miniature horse. I don't want to have yet another height division to accept horses over 38". That would add another 30% of classes to shows. And where do we stop? 40? 42? 56?

The people who started the Association and Registry made the rules. We either live with it or change it so anything of any height, breed, etc, can be registered. I intend to live within the original tenets of the Association and Registry. If it's going to be just height, better be prepared to accept dwarfs because they are under the height rules.

So I won't be breeding to stallions that are 38" (or 36 or 37") I'm not interested in finding an individual Shetland that happens to be under 34" out of 40" parents and use it in my breeding program and expect to have all under horses.

This sounds like a good alternative, especially since much of the appeal of the big Bs is driving and performance.
The drawback is, the NSPR was intended for bigger ponies--Shetlands crossed on Arabs or QHs or Morgans or whatever, so there would quite possibly be larger ponies, as in 13-14.1 hands, in this division, so a 39" oversize Miniature isn't going to fit into this division either. There is the added problem of having very few shows that actually offer NSPR classes.
If I had a 40" Mini I probably wouldn't waste my money on NSPR registration. If I wanted to show that horse I would just take it to the local fairs and enter it in the open pony classes, where no registration papers are required. No money spent on registration and prize money from any placings at the fairs!!

Maybe I'm all wet, but there must be an awful lot of people that want to show over 38 inch miniatures, because there sure seems like a lot of them coming in and showing.

I think it will all stop when the show measuring gets tuff and people know that if they breed tall they stand a chance of the horses not being able to show in the 34- 38 classes and thats when we start talking value.

But hey, why not start another division, I feel that is the only reason most want the double is so that they can show AMHR. Then they wouldn't to have to cheat.

They created that National Pony thing to cross the Shetlands to get taller ponies. Why, not? They could do it for us. Whoever they are? Just be honest on size.

I do know that there are plenty straight B miniatures that can go over 38 too. I think we need a National Show Sport Mini. If the Shettlands get another division we should too. Ah yes, there is where I could turn George out with the Fjords.
default_biggrin.png

Maybe I'm all wet, but there must be an awful lot of people that want to show over 38 inch miniatures, because there sure seems like a lot of them coming in and showing. I think it will all stop when the show measuring gets tuff and people know that if they breed tall they stand a chance of the horses not being able to show in the 34- 38 classes and thats when we start talking value.
Yes I agree- I know being a steward is a very hard job and one I would not want. We all know there is a backlash for protesting or tough measuring and we can all admit there are horses that are over 38 inches showing in the ring. I am not talking a half inch either I really am not overly bothered by a 38.25 or 38.50 heck even 38.75 inch horse as we all know a horse can measure different 3 different times in a row but when they are clearly bigger then that it gets a bit annoying.

NSMR .... NATIONAL SPORT MINI REGISTRY or maybe NMSHR .... NATIONAL MINIATURE SPORT HORSE REGISTRY. Yes!! I like that one. What do you think Renee?

One parent must be AMHR registered--the other can be any Miniature or pony up to ???? hands--and to be eligible for NMSHR the horse must be no taller than 48" or ????

Cool! There could be halter and performance classes....halter classes would see the horses being shown on the triangle, like sport horses do, to show off their superb movement.

Good Afternoon,

You can all go read my post that I posted last year about the NSPR division on the Shetland Pony side of the Li'l Beginning board. It will help you understand why the division was created. The rulebook also list all of the aspects of this division if anyone wanted to participate in it.

Karen

I was looking around on the web. What about something like this? http://www.imtpa.com/

It is strictly height registry I think, with many divisions, and based on performance, specifically harness racing.

Kinda getting off topic but its not just the aspc/amhr showing that are obviously over. I have seen it with amha minis---the 30" and under division etc.

Cheaters cheat and until the registry takes a firm stand on measuring it will continue no matter what the horse is papered

I know whenever it is brought up to add divsions to the mini classes its always said that there is not enough room to add anymore classes?

But hey if someone wants it bad enough write up a proposal and take it to convention
default_smile.png

Kay

Karen- You know that I am just being kind of silly here, but I think I remember that when it started it was to be open for minis too. I even remember talking to the office about it as I have a friend of a friend that bought some very nice Shetland Ponies and then a very expensive well bred Arab stud. He is raising some beautiful registered half Arab ponies I guess. I was considering doing the same with some of my palomino mares. I even contacted Midwest Arabs and priced a little Magnum Psyche colt. Can you just picture how pretty some of those little kids ponies would be? And then all of a sudden it was only for the ponies. Is my memory going and was that just a dream? Renee

No it is NOT just for ponies it is open to any offspring of either a AMHR registered or ASPC registered and I am guessing ASPR registered horse/pony.

The mini/pony can be crossed with any other breed and the requirements are DNA testing and that the resulting foal be under 14.2 hands is how I understand it to be.

It is not meant to be a breeding registry but a performance one so if you have a great T/B mare and feel like crossing her with your B mini in hopes of getting a small pony then you can surely try it :)

I don't think it is anymore, a bunch of us were reading about it in the last rule book and I think that it is just for the ponies now. I may be wrong and will check. We probably didn't go to the right spot in the rule book.

I am too old to start messing with something like that. But that would be some double registered horse. Half Arab ---Show Pony. It seems like the Arabs half gotten so big that it would be nice to see some little ones again.

K you got me curious going to find my copy of the newest rule book Ok here it is page 69 part 21

The National Show Pony will be open to any pony 14.2 and under that can be verified by DNA that one parent is registered in either the ASPC or AMHR A stallion report is not required to be filed in order to register a NSPR animal for these are performance only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is what it says. Page 164 Section VIII Part 1 Eligibility.

Any pony that is registered with the American Shetland Pony Club, the Hackney Horse Society or any pony that is the result of the mating of a registered Shetland and a registered American Show Pony any pony that is the result of the mating of a registered Hackney and a registered American Show Pony, or any pony that is the result of the mating of a registered Americans Show Pony to an American show Pony is eligible to be recorded in the stud book of the ASPR upon the completion of an application for registration and submisssion of the appropriate fee.

Now you guys tell me if you can figure this out. We drop the minis out and take on the Hackneys. I wish there was one of those little yellow faces over there that was scratching his head. Maybe I'm missing something and there is another spot in the rule book.

Well I'll be darned Lisa. I think that I am confused. ASPR --- National Show Pony Registry----I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. You are right.

I gotta get this straight.

We have the --

Classic Shetland Pony

Foundation Shetland Pony

Modern Shetland Pony

American Show Pony

National Show Pony

American Miniature Horse--- overs and unders

Wow did I forget any? And the Ponies have overs and unders, don't they.

I can't stop thinking about this. It says any pony under 14.2. With one parent dn'd can come in. So all of my minis could be show ponies also. Right? And they show at Congress. Right?

So my minis would be full blooded Straight American Miniature Show Ponies and off I could go to Congress if I wanted to go to Congress. Now they are not to be used for breeding as show ponies but what is the difference, as soon as they were born they could be registered because one parent is miniature.

And so we already have a place for miniatures that go over 38 inches. And as long as one or both parents are registered miniatures we can breed for the little show pony. Oh Goodness

Here we go again. To me it is all so simple, Once a horse is a registered miniature horse it is a registered miniature horse. What people want to do on their own farms is none of my business. I don't think that anyone should have a right to pull the papers.I think that the show measuring is the answer to the delema. s

I feel that if we screw those show measurements down tight we will solve lots of problem. If we insist that the stewards measure honestly and are not afraid to protest if we feel they are off we would go along way in bringing back some integrity to the whole industry. And we need that right now.

If there are enough people that want to show 38 plus registered miniature horses go for it- make some classes. Measure very strictly at the shows and let the people decide what is valuable.

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

Ah yes, there is where I could turn George out with the Fjords.
default_biggrin.png
That WOULD be neat!!
default_wub.png

I phoned and inquired about my Paso Fino Mare who was only 13.3 hands and we where not sure if she had been bred to my miniature stallion.

Asked if she could be registered American Miniature Show Pony and they told me yes.

As long as one was under 14.2 hands and the other was registered miniature horse.
default_smile.png

I believe Fran and Walt also told me this could be done, which made me phone to find out. This was about 4 or 5 years ago.

This sounds like a good alternative, especially since much of the appeal of the big Bs is driving and performance.
The drawback is, the NSPR was intended for bigger ponies--Shetlands crossed on Arabs or QHs or Morgans or whatever, so there would quite possibly be larger ponies, as in 13-14.1 hands, in this division, so a 39" oversize Miniature isn't going to fit into this division either. There is the added problem of having very few shows that actually offer NSPR classes.
If I had a 40" Mini I probably wouldn't waste my money on NSPR registration. If I wanted to show that horse I would just take it to the local fairs and enter it in the open pony classes, where no registration papers are required. No money spent on registration and prize money from any placings at the fairs!!

IF I had a 40 inch horse -- I would NOT have a mini-- I would have a PONY. Clear & simple. !!

Latest posts

Back