What's Your Day Job?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am the Sanitation Manager for a well known pizza company. The main product is frozen pizza's. But we also make various other foods. Been working the graveyard shift for almost 19 years.

Since I'm a student I don't have a full time job but I coach gymnastics and babysit on the weekends. I love teaching the kids new skills and seeing their excitement when they can do it by themselves. I am a sophomore in Agricultural Business Management . When I graduate I would like a job in ag. insurance or appraisal of some sort.

I work for the Health & Welfare Fund for a Union. We manage/process the Pension, Annuity, Medical, Dental, Optical, Pharmacy, Vacation and Death Benefits. Days are 9-9 1/2 hours long,Monday-Friday and some Saturdays, some days are very stressful(I leave with many more gray hairs and talk to myself all the way home) others not so much. I work with some really great gals and have one awesome boss!
default_biggrin.png
Really hoping to retire in 10 years or less.

I have the pampered Princess job.

(well somebody had to do it!)

Due to bodily pain I wouldn't wish on anyone, I don't work.

So I raise minis.
default_wub.png

And do arts, crafts, anything I can to help with the bills as much as I can. It's not much, but I'm not good for much else.

I used to be a waitress, a cook, a caretaker at an Irish Manor House (animal care) Was a KP at an Army Mess Hall.

Mostly what I do now is helping people the best way I can in any way I can.
default_yes.gif

I work 2 jobs.

Day job is "marketing analyst" for a major fortune 500 company.
default_smile.png

Other job is I own a game studio with my husband. I'm hoping this year to be able to have the time and funds to get back into the show ring. The past 2 years we've been buried and broke getting the studio off the ground. Bless good friends and parents.
default_smile.png
(And yay for Ramen?)

I don't sleep much. My working hours are usually 8AM -2 AM, LOL.

I have several titles depending on what time of year it is. During the summer I do some work with the family business. My Dad owns a swimming pool company and I run the retail store. During the winter I pretty much just hang around with the horsies and my daughter! I am also a proud Army wife and that can be a full time job all in itself!!!! I also manage a local show series that supports our local trail riding club and volunteer at another local show series. Somewhere in between all the shows I help out at and run I hope to be able to show my own mini this year!!!!

I work for the Health & Welfare Fund for a Union. We manage/process the Pension, Annuity, Medical, Dental, Optical, Pharmacy, Vacation and Death Benefits. Days are 9-9 1/2 hours long,Monday-Friday and some Saturdays, some days are very stressful(I leave with many more gray hairs and talk to myself all the way home) others not so much. I work with some really great gals and have one awesome boss!
default_biggrin.png
Really hoping to retire in 10 years or less.

I am very familiar with the Union Funds. Our guys here are union members. Hubby is Vice President of a Mechanical Contracting Firm - union employees only - does all government contract work (no residential) - Plumbing and HVAC - we have a fabrication shop where we do all our own fabrication. Hubby is a union plumber by trade.

Our son (Holly's husband), is a Foreman for hubby's company and is a union steamfitter by trade. We represent Plumbers Local 5 and Steamfittitters Local 602. With the volume of members in so many trades, I can appreciate all your hard work with all these funds. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very familiar with the Union Funds. Our guys here are union members. Hubby is Vice President of a Mechanical Contracting Firm - union employees only - does all government contract work (no residential) - Plumbing and HVAC - we have a fabrication shop where we do all our own fabrication. Hubby is a union plumber by trade.

Our son (Holly's husband), is a Foreman for hubby's company and is a union steamfitter by trade. We represent Plumbers Local 5 and Steamfittitters Local 602. With the volume of members in so many trades, I can appreciate all your hard work with all these funds. Thank you!

Thank You!! My husband is also a Union SheetMetal Worker(HAVC). If only more people would appreciate Unions.

My hubby and I had a restaurant in one town and a bakery in another for several years but finally couldn't take the 7 day a week 16 hour days any longer and closed them both in 2004.

I then went back to work for a company that I worked for in high school (many years ago). I am a store support manager for a corporation with stores in three states. my job entails a lot of different things, I do management training, employee training, work freight, fill in for store managers that are off for vacation, handle all of the vending machines, and lots of other trivial things on a day to day basis in retail. I love my job, I am traveling a lot but it is interesting and never boring because I am very seldom doing the same thing 2 days in a row.

I am still adjusting to having weekends off but will be able to enjoy it once this move is over and I can get the house in order.

I work full time at a Lighting Manufacturer in Laurel, MD as Purchasing/Warehouse/Inventory Manager. Lots of stress indeed. Wish I could full time with my minis but being by myself I need that income to pamper my horses
default_smile.png

But looking on the positive side... I can always get lights when I need them...LOL

default_new_shocked.gif

I'm a freelance writer. I primarily do poker news and strategy articles but just started doing some fun entertainment stuff on the side too. I used to be a more active player, but honestly after hours of reading and writing about the game I have very little desire to play it anymore. My family's been running an air freight business for 40+ years, so I also occasionally help out there. This year we've also started buying and selling antiques more aggressively, and after having some awesome finds this month I'm thinking of taking a break from poker for a bit.

My husband and I are the proud owners of Treiber Auto Parts and Repair, Inc. It is a Napa auto parts store with a two bay garage for mechanicing and tires. We are also a Goodyear dealer and a Country Clipper lawnmower dealer. I manage the store and shop, while my husband maintains a full time job managing and driving for a redi-mix company. I have been at the store for 15 years and owned it the last 5 1/2 years. I love working and can take off the time I want to play with the horses and compete some. We also do custom round baling of hay and cornstalks, along with dealing in some real estate and rentals. I am hoping that eventually the store will be able to provide a decent profit for my husband to quit his job and just keep up with the baling and real estate. I am one of the wierd ones, that cannot imagine retiring. I enjoy my job most days....the other days its like having 50 husbands. LOL.

Donna

HOLLY at White Tails......I was in So. MD from 78--82, when divorce and re marriage brought me to Dallas area...and though I have not been back I would like to visit.....like I said miss those crab cakes! I am sure that it has changed...that was a non horse part of my life....lived the St. Charles in condo......yuck!! used to garden off my patio.....I have kept in touch with my boss from that time....and you prbably know the name Keller Bus...they run service into d.c and such......miss the fall weather and color too. Where are you at in S. MD??

LOL Oh okay! Well you left when I was born! AHAHAHHA !

St. Charles is a nasty place! Its very very different now than when you were here. I wasnt born in Southern Maryland, but have been here since 2000.

We live about 20-25 mins south of St. Charles. We are closer to the bridge to go into Va.

You should come back and visit. There is a place down here that you would love their crabcakes. YUMMY

I worked at a craft store for three years during high school and my first few college summers as a register cashier and customer service representative, then after college with the economy so down I signed up with a temp agency which turned out to be a wonderful move. I got to try out jobs in many fields (spent one memorable summer working in a warehouse where I learned to scamper up and down wobbly two-story rolling ladders with big boxes
default_new_shocked.gif
) and in the end found that I really enjoyed jobs in the medical administrative field. My last temp job was filling in for someone going on maternity leave at a local hospital call center and they compressed three months worth of training into 1.5 days and threw me in the deep end answering phones for nine different hospitals.
default_new_shocked.gif
:shocked
default_new_shocked.gif
When I not only "swam" but did a good job they hired me.
default_biggrin.png

I've been with Evergreen Hospital for over five years now as a receptionist with their consulting nurse line and love my job. Every caller is different, you never know what's going to be required when you pick up the phone, and it suits my talents to a "T." There've been many opportunities to move up but I love the clinical side of things and those other roles would have taken me away from that so here I am, still a receptionist. I'm part switchboard operator, part customer service rep, part EMT, part IT technician, part staffing manager, and have to know a little about EVERYTHING, which I love.
default_wub.png
I think the next couple of years are going to bring some changes but I know the skill set I've picked up in this job will help me get another great one wherever I end up.

And hey- I'll know just what to do if my kid gets a fever!
default_wink.png

Leia

I love reading the input here!
yes.gif

And for those of us with jobs outside the home / farm... how the heck did Monday morning roll around again so fast?
blush2.gif

I love reading the input here!
yes.gif

And for those of us with jobs outside the home / farm... how the heck did Monday morning roll around again so fast?
blush2.gif
You mean, you don't take President's Day off?
default_wink.png

Enjoying my 18 soon to be 19 miniature horses and the good life. Hubby and I are both Retired...

Official job... doorman to two bossy Boston Terriers..

I am a Senior Patent Paralegal at a company in Bellevue, Washington. I have worked at several Intellectual Property law firms since 1997, and prior to that worked in several different areas of law, but I have found I really enjoy IP. I have done patent and trademark prosecution work in the US and foreign countries (through various foreign patent law firms). I love the company I'm with now, and hope to be here for a very long time!

I've worked a wide variety of jobs over the years, including Assistant Manager of a health club (that was fun), groom at a race horse barn (loved it) and ended up as a baker. About ten or twelve years ago when the stress of the job started getting to me (you know the drill-- do more in less time and with fewer coworkers to get it all done) my husband suggested that I "retire" and be there for our then-teenage daughters. Retire in my 30's? Ok!
default_smile.png

Hubby works as a troubleshooting journeyman lineman with the power company. We have over 40 horses that are my responsibility, though hubby helps, doing the heavy work like hauling hay, tractor work, etc. I have plenty to keep me busy.
default_yes.gif
We also thoroughly enjoy the four-so-far grandchildren. LOVE them. They very much enjoy spending time with "Nana and Papa" too. They're just getting to an age where the oldest of them may be able to start showing a bit, so I'll get to combine two of my biggest loves, grandbabies and minis.
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back