harassment at work help advice?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriarwoodAcres

Reaction score
I started a new job about 2.5 weeks ago. One manager.. we shall call her "S". She is just a shift manager.

Shes pretty rough. so, I started this job recently, and I cant seem to do anything right by her. I am always in trouble for something even if I havent done it. Now, I know I've done things wrong but its because I am now, I'am still learning the "system".

I came into work one day and we had just gotten our truck that morning(we work retail). She put a box down and said, the tote by the batteries is yours to put out. ok, no big deal. We were SLAMMED for a saturday, nothing was done in a timely manner as we'd like. I never got to step away from the cash register. It took me 2+hrs to get that one tote out that was stting 10ft from the register. She came to me later that afternoon and told me EVERYTHING I had put out was in the wrong place. By this time, i was confused as there were tons of the same products in the places I put items and the tags and upcs added up. So I proceeded to let her finish her rant, herd her out and went to fix these items. As I was going through them I started to notice not so many if any were wrong so I brought over another manager and told her what was going on and asked her for help to show me,make sure I wasnt losing my mind. She told me I was doing fine and "S" is just that kind of person and not to let her get to me. So i brushed it off.

I was also told in this conversation with "S" that I failed at my job last night doing recovery when in reality, the jobs she was talking about was on the other side of the store I was working. So, really that wasnt my fault and I told her that. She didnt care.

The store manager had told me from that converstion that night that "S" was in the wrong and he'd say something to her. I didnt nore did I plan to say anything about this to him as I figured she was right about my restocking.

That made things worse. I went into the store last night off the clock to purchase a few things. When I went in, she didnt see me as "S" and another employee "H" were standing at the register. I went through the store and proceeded to come back to the register to get a basket and never said anything to either girl. When I got the basket "S" looked up and loudly said "OH MY GOD" I didnt say anything, I let it go. As I proceeded down the aisles I herd "H" ask her what happened the day "S" yelled at me about my stocking. Loudly, "S" proceeds to tell her "she said nothing. (meaning me) She just shut her mouth. As I figured would be the best situation and not to cause a scene as the store was super busy. They proceed to talk loudly and at this point I am half way down the store and could still hear every word "S" was saying. She proceeded to tell "H" how badly she hated me and she couldnt stand me and hoped I got fired soon and that she wanted nothing more then that. At this point, I was hurt. This lady is in her 30s and acting like a high school girl. I am in my early 20's. I couldnt believe it! I decided I wasnt going to purchase anything and just go to another store and walked out.

Is there anything I can do? If I talk to the manager, he does say something to her but it seems it comes back to me twice as hard. I talked to my bf last night and he said you're really not making enough money to deal with her attitude if nothing is being done. I agreed. He said if something isnt resolved put your 2 weeks in. Well, I agree but I am not in the position to lose my job over some immature behavior especially that being what she wants. I dont want to go to work anymore, my stomache gets in knots just thinking about it.

Does anyone have any advice?

I'm sorry this is happening to you. I have only ever had problems with one of my bosses and luckily I didn't have to be around her daily. I do know what it feels like to dread going to work, and making yourself sick just thinking about it. The only advice I have for you is to document everything! Dates, times, people who are witnesses to an incident...you never know when you may need it.

I worked in retail for 8 years (Petco), only I worked in the grooming salon and was a manager.. I have see a lot of stuff. Don't you love retail cliques?! Annoying, frustrating and disheartening. I know how you feel.

Document everything. Be careful not to advertise to other associates what's going on too.

What I would personally do and have had to in the past.. Get both managers together with you present and have a nice discussion......

Good luck.

Sounds to me as if they know how she is and tolerate it. I would document all incidents as suggested, and would also immediately look for another job, as it sounds like they are not going to do anything. The documentation is important in case they do fire you, so that you can apply for unemployment, and prove you were not at fault. It is ridiculous that an employee this age is indulging in this type of behaviour, but it is quite common in retail. Try and ignore her, as she does this to get a reaction and make herself feel powerful. If you do not react, at least she will not get any enjoyment out of it. So sorry you are having to go through this. Good luck and take care.

Punch her in the face!!!

No... but I agree above, document everything. There also should be a phone number to call (HR) Human resoruces, and inform them about what she said and how shes telling other employees about the issue. Thats very unprofessional of her and should not be tolarated. Defently have a meeting with her, and her boss and call it out to her face. Heck start carrying a pocket recorder to if needed. This is no different then sexual harrassment in my opinion.

Good luck!

Best bet is to document and in all honesty, work twice as hard and be twice as nice, ESP. In the presence of her superiors and equals. Do not stoop to her level and do not vent to other employees. You would be surprised at how far a mature attitude and great outlook will get you in the world of retail.

She is doing it on purpose to MAKE you quit! She's a shark!!! I've come across those before! I just buckled down and did my job twice as well! She finally gave it up and realized I WAS a part of the crew and she accepted me. But it was horrible for a few months. (it was an Army mess hall in CA)

This is YOUR job in YOUR life. Why let someone as nasty as her ruin it for you? Why let her win?

Yes, I would tell the boss exactly what happened. And I would tell him that each time you let him know what she's done to you, that she does it twice as hard. Talk to him in a calm manner with the facts. Tell him you like your job and that you're willing to work hard and want to do your very best, but it's hard when someone is sabotaging and going after you like S is doing. She isn't only affecting you, but is a reflection on all of them. I'm sure other customers in the store besides you heard her yelling that nasty crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Document everything and it doesn't even hurt to let her see that you are making note of the incident.

Be ready to call a lawyer for the harrassement as the company could be sued.

Let her know that you are reporting the incidents to a level higher if the bullying does not stop.

She is trying to make you quit but she may be reprimanded and demoted if you prove her bullying or degradation is unfounded.

Keep track of everything, dates and times etc.......and make sure she is aware that you have things recorded.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with what all the others have stated. There are some women in a higher postion that feel they are all powerful, and can really drive you insane, been there and through that. I won't look good on your work record if you quit so soon, and you want to keep a smile on your face, do your job very well, hold your head up, take pride in what you do, and say yes mam, even if you a so angry you could spit. Don't forget to be really nice to upper managment and show them all of your documentation. Good luck, hang in there, good things come to those that wait!

How big is the store you work in? Is it a chain store? You can go to your Human Resouce person if you have one and make a written complaint. If it is a chain store, call the hot line number they have that handles complaints like you have. It seems the managers are just letting her get away with everything. She needs to be fired. Also, contact your local unemployment agency, they have a department that handles workplace harrassment issues like you are having. I hate to say it, but retail is this way, there is always one or two associates that seem to get away with everything. Good luck, been in your shoes and hated going to work everyday.

Definitely go to the big boss/HR with this. SHE LOST THE STORE MONEY when you don't even feel comfortable SHOPPING there and TELL them that.

There is no reason for her to be like this. My sister had someone do that to her, and she did end up quitting (It was US Air Express). Grit your teeth and hang in there, as it will really PO her. And document, document, document. Keep a notebook and write it down, right in front of her.

I go in to work my Friday shift and there was another employee to "take over" my shift. When I walked out and didnt buy anything I texed the other manager and said "I am done"...mean done with "S" and her crap. so he thought I meant I quit....if I was quitting I wiould have made that clear. So I wasnt scheduled at all this coming week and after talking to the big boss and straightening it all out its fine now but I told the boss with "S" sitting there what happened. He didnt say much and she just smiled in sarcasm as if I was lying... WHY would I lie about that? He did say hes going to look into that more and if nothing is done, ill complain to HR.

Latest posts

Back