What's Your Day Job?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
We've done this thread before, but I think it's been awhile, it's always fun and we have new members who may want to chime in.

What's your day job?

I am a financial adviser, money manager and registered investment adviser. I've been in this line of work since 1995, and prior to that was a mortgage loan officer. Previously, I held a stock broker's license and a registered principal's license but decided last year to give up a broker / dealer relationship and keep my professional focus on money management and fixed / guaranteed annuities. It was a good move for quite a few reasons
default_smile.png
I'm the president of our firm, O'Roark Asset Management, that employees myself, my father and our administrative staff. I love what I do! Lots of public speaking and working one on one with clients. I cannot think of anything I'd rather do for a living.

What about you all? What's your day job?

Last edited by a moderator:
I work at a horse barn that does EAP(equine assisted psychotherapy).I also clean a few houses and do a little animal sitting. I love my jobs and the people I work for
default_aktion033.gif

I have been a travel consultant for 40 years this June.......started in Cleveland, military took me to Guam and Southern Maryland (miss those crab cakes), and have been in Dallas area since 1982. Business has changed alot over the years but has been good to me and have been very fortunate since becoming self employed in 1997. Alot of ups and downs but still going....there are still a few of us old dinosaurs left.

I work in Document Management at a major mortgage company in Fort Worth. I scan in all sorts of documents and also process emailed/faxed in documents.

I currently am a full time student in college hoping to go to vet school one day, but I also work part time at an animal shelter.

I'm a Saddler (English saddles and strap goods). I apprenticed for 3 years with a Saddler from Britain.

I also have worked at a horse barn for the past....15 years. The owners sold the farm and moved last April
default_sad.png
but I am still running the barn.....it's just not the same though
default_no.gif

I board dogs, groom dogs and do some local house sitting as well.

~kathryn

Full time mini pooper scooper of 27 years..never got my dream job of being a pampered princess sleeping till noon watching soaps and eating bonbons all day..so settled for my current day job which turned out even better..my income is from rental properties though..
default_laugh.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

I am a high school English teacher, but in a non-traditional way. Two years ago I started teaching for an on-line high school and I really like it. The kids are generally great, and you've got to love a job you can do in your pj's! I teach American Literature to about 125 juniors and seniors. I often wonder if we'll see more and different ways that a high school education is being provided to students. This is no diploma mill either. This curriculum is just as rigorous, and probably even more so, than anything I taught in my 15 years in a brick and mortar school.

Jayne

I am currently retired, last position was Dog Groomer for 20 years, before that, Vet assistant, animal tech at a research lab for NIH. Now I work on the farm. Seven days a week 365 days a year. A senior citizen but still trying to han g in there.

Ive been a dog groomer for the last 20 years, its really the only thing Ive ever done. I own my own dog spa and keeping it running is a full time job into its self.

I have done many things over the years but have been a hairstylist for 19 years, currently working as a barber. I was in retail management for a while and have had many part time jobs at horse farms. Last summer I had a part time job at a Standardbred farm and it was one of the best summers I have had in a long time. I fell in love with Standardbreds and driving. I think this is what I will miss the most when I move to Florida this summer.

I work for two different Community Livings supporting adults with developmental disabilities to live in their own home.

Currently disabled. I am looking for work that I can do while taking the meds that I have to take.

wow, great thread! Very interesting jobs folks have!

I'm the Executive Assistant (EA) to the 3 owners (President, CEO and Vice President) of a 550 plus employee Defense Contracting company. we have offices all over the country and overseas. We support all branches of the military as well as Government Agencies. Everything we do is government contract.

While I directly support the three owners: primarily the CEO, I do provide support to the entire 16 member Executive Staff but most of those are located at other facilities.

I mostly coordinate and maintain their schedules, cater to the Gov't officials that visit for meetings, schedule conference rooms and do all the catering etc. Lots of personal tasks in there for the men as well. My tasks would be too long to list here but I can tell you that come 4pm every weekday and I am shut down and chomping at the bit to get home to the farm!

While we just had our 15th anniversary in 2010, I was their first EA ever hired so it was easy to spoil the men and make the position somewhat what I wanted (meaning no shoes to fill). I'll have my 5th anniversary with them this September.

Prior to that I worked for Defense Contractors in VA and had a 3 hour commute one way. Dozen years of that and I couldn't take the commute any longer. Cut my salary in half to come back to the local area for peace of mind and more farm time without all the wasted time of commuting. I have always worked for the Government since the age of 18.

I have worked for the state of Ohio for the past 25 years in IT. I am currently a Business Analyst working on the new Medicaid computer system.

Before that, I trained horses and taught at Meredith Manor.

Fraud Investigations at a major credit card company

Professional Nanny this fall it will be 11 years! I currently care for a 4 yr old, 8 yr old & 11 yr old. I love my job & "my" kids, but on the tougher days I love coming home to muck stalls and care for critters that don't talk back!

For the past few months I've also been working part-time at a local dressage barn. I feed, turn-out, muck stalls, and bring everyone in, etc. I know for sure I'll never own enough horses to clean 14 stalls daily!! It's not something I was looking for, but when the vet tech at my clinic mentioned it, I thought it would be fun and a good learning experience.

My husband and myself own daily newspapers and various print publications.
default_smile.png

BBH- How did you like ole Southern Maryland?
default_smile.png

Well my day time job is " Im a stay at home mom". I have a 8 year old who goes to school, then I have a 4 year old who will be in school next year.

I also take care of all the animals during the week while everyone else is working for someone else, hee hee. I am my own boss. Iam the deputy here on the farm. Or should I say Sherriff.
default_new_rofl.gif

Latest posts

Back