What's For DINNER Tonight?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooogh Ryan, mention of leg of lamb has my mouth watering. I called a local raiser of sheep this week to see if I could get some fresh lamb stew meat for an Irish stew for St. Patricks Day. Theirs is always frozen, never fresh so I just made my stew out of beef stew meat. It was great though and since it called for only a half bottle of Guiness I was burdened with finishing off the other 5 1/2 this week. Poor me.
default_cheers.gif
I come from a long line of McKowns and it sounds really Irish to me.

I will be making a trip soon to stock up on lamb though. I love it and what rosemary combined with it can do for a dish.

Now, I almost NEVER fry anything. BUT sometime in the next couple of days I am trying out a recipe that is supposed to make Bloomin Onion seem so yesterday. It is fried onion dippers (no fancy cutting) with homemade balsamic ketchup. The onion batter calls for club soda. If it is a hit I will let you guys know.

It was really good Vickie. I marinaded it over night in Honey, Dijon Mustard, Lemon juice, rosemary, oregano, and fresh mint salt and Pepper. Cooked on the weber and seeing tho there was none left after lunch, I guess everyone liked it
default_smile.png

Ill be interested to hear how the onion recipe turns out. Im not a big one for frying things either, But I did try Salt and pepper Calamari on the weekend and it was good as it was only a light flouring so didn't retain the oil.

Cheers to the 5 1/2 bottles that were left over, cant have those going to waste now can we
default_smile.png

Last night we had eye fillet steak with scalloped potatoes , honey and sesame carrots , green peas and corn. Did the steak on the BBQ .

Have no idea what will be on the menu tonight. it will be something easy as its been a huge week at work and all I can think about is sleep
default_smile.png

Made a chicken Laksa on Saturday so had plenty of left overs for last night and tonight.

Does anyone have a recipe or an idea I can use to stuff chicken breasts. I got some on special that I have in the freezer waiting to be used. I tried stuffing them with Sundried tomatoes, spinach and Fetta they were good and the other combo I tried was Pumpkin, honey and cashew (Very Tasty) Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
default_smile.png

Whats everyone else been up to on the cooking front ?

Been boring here. Besides my occasional IBS, I have now given myself acid stomach! So the 'can't haves' have increased! Bah!

H and I used one of our Christmas gift cards and went to the 'Stone Eagle' for dinner the other night. Elegant place, but jeans are OK there too. We were seated in a little step-up 3-two person table corner. Brass railing around it. Windows. Little round tables with bamboo wicker chairs. We felt out of place at first. It was lovely and the food was fantastic. H had lasagna and couldn't get over the flavors. He had a little bowl of their homemade baked beans that he said reminded him a little of chili. They had a tang and bite to them and he said they were 'great'. I had their house salad with raspberry vinegrette. It had various greens and salad veggies on a small plate. Hard boiled egg yolks crumbled over lightly. For my main I had char grilled chicken breast (SO tender and juicy and tasty!) and steamed/sauteed veggies (red pepper, zuchinni, summer squash, asparagus tips and broccoli). Heaven! We have one more gift card for there and can't wait to use it. But what to have?!! They have steaks, fish, wood fire pizza and more more more! Yumm0!

Last night I made chicken breasts with mozzerella melted over, sage stuffing, veggie and a two person pound cake loaf.

Tonight we were in late, so made boxed (organic) mac n cheese, veggie and mandarin oranges. Each had a big chocolate chip sugar cookie I had baked this afternoon. (made em for a belated Easter gift for the step grandkids, who are in Mexico visiting their grandma).

Performancemini, sorry to hear about the Acid stomach, hope this can be easily treated.

The restaurant you went to sounds really good
default_smile.png
If the food was that good, try something different
default_smile.png
and if the meals are as good the second time, I know what gift cards you guys should be hinting at for xmas pressies this year
default_smile.png

A good (consistent) restaurant is hard to find these days, well it is where I live anyway. I spent the last 15 years managing hotels, clubs and restaurants and the one thing I pushed for the most with chefs was consistency. Glad you enjoyed your night out with H.

Apart from hideous amounts of chocolate consumed over the weekend , I did make a really nice butterfly lamb (marinated) and had that with roast vegies and a garden salad.

last night I ordered butter chicken from the local Indian restaurant. Spent the day redoing the boundary fence and by the time I got the posts in was time to feed the horses.

Interesting evening (and sad): major nightmare weather. 2 actual tornado touchdowns within 10 miles of our home! Hail, rain (pastures are flooded at the moment) and in the midst of it all I went ahead and made supper-LOL! (believe me I was scared and praying too).

Made turkey burgers, french fries and cherry turnovers.

That butter chicken sure sounds good Ryan!

Oh no well I am sending good weather vibes your way, stay safe and I hope the terrible weather passes quickly:)

The butter chicken was great, I always order it if I eat there.

I made a massive Lasagne last night , plenty of left overs for tonight and the rest I will portion and freeze.
default_smile.png

Made a slow cooker Beef and red wine stew on Saturday served with mashed Potato and peas. Love putting dinner on in the morning and its ready when you have finished for the day outside.

Fettuccini carbonara last night with some crusty garlic bread. Followed by a rather SMALL bowl of cookies and cream Ice-cream.

Tonight have no idea until I go shopping on the way home.
default_smile.png

Chicken Thigh fillets (browned) with fresh thyme & rosemary, 600 mls of chicken stock, 1/4 of a cup of wostershire (excuse spelling) sauce, carrots, onions, Potatoes and Corn. 8 hours later and it was great. Love my slow cooker.

Had Plenty left over so the following night I made a chicken stock and turned it in to a chicken & Vegie soup.

Tonight will be something with vegies as I have plenty in the fridge , just need something to accompany them to the dinner table
default_smile.png

Left overs for supper tonight, happens to be homemade meatballs and baked beans, not sure if I'll add something or just stick with the light dinner, but thinking maybe mac and cheese. Have a roast in the crock pot, but cooking it for sandwich meat and maybe to make some beef and noodles for supper tomorrow.

I have not made the onion dippers yet but still hanging on to the recipe. I have been working some overtime and try to cook enough of whatever we are having to take some to my neighbor whose husband had heart surgery a couple of weeks ago. There were complications and they finally got to leave Dallas but he has to stay in a local hospital for a while. I cooked a pot roast a couple of days ago and took some to my aging dad and left some in my neighbor's refrigerator Dad said it was good and that he ate every bite. My neighbor said it saved her life. She said after a rough day at the hospital she got home to find her air conditioning out. She drove to town for new air filters and did not get to eat until 10 that night. She was so grateful to find a note from me telling her that I had let the dogs out and left her supper. Sometimes I take her the simplest things like yogurt with fresh fruit and granola. She eats like a little bird so I try to not load her up with dishes to return. I found a recipe for veggie enchiladas this week. Left her some last night. My husband and I really liked them and they were simple. Sautéed garlic and ground coriander in olive oil. Added frozen corn, black beans, spinach, cilantro. Cooked it until the spinach was wilted. Rolled the mix up in tortillas, topped with red sauce and cheese. I will do that one again for sure.

Does anyone like Poke Salat? I cooked some this week after getting advise from my an elderly neighbor on how to cook it safely. Figured if anyone knew she would. I find that I really do like it. Plan on cooking more of it before it matures too much.

Ive never tried Poke, whats it like ? By the wording "Safely" when cooking it , I gather it can/could be dangerous ?

You would be a great neighbour to have Vickie , I am sure they are so very grateful for the meals and knowing that you are there for them. The Enchiladas sound good I will have to try them.

Pulled some lasagne out of the freezer and had with vegies last night for dinner. Will be something really easy tonight as I need to shop (maybe tomorrow) , tonight I will be putting away the feed delivery that arrived today. trying to stock up on as much hay as I can before it hits the $20 a bale (and that's the small square ones)
default_thumbdown.gif
:ThumbDown

Ryan, poke salat tastes a lot like spinach. It grows wild and there is plenty of it now. I always heard you don't want to pick it once the weather gets hot and you start seeing purple stems and berries because that can be a bit poisonous. We are having a mild and rainy spring so the leaves are still young and tender. Washed each leaf thoroughly then brought it to a boil for a couple of minutes, drained it, repeated 2 more times then added seasonings and boiled it for 20 minutes. We found out we really like it.

Tonight is baked Cornish hens with a side of zucchini.

Our homemade pizza is usually super basic, just hamburger (well, cheese and sauce too) usually since we have lots of it in the freezer (I happened to have just enough browned hamburger in the fridge for a pizza.

I love hamburger ,one of my favourite meals to make is just grating a carrot and onion , little garlic and some herbs , roll them into thick patties. Pour a tin of tomato soup over and bake
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back