What's For DINNER Tonight?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know how well the mashed potatoes will freeze, but I want to say I've seen mashed potatoes in the freezer section. You could always make them into patties, then when you defrost them, fry up the patties like hashbrown patties.

Well, I'm all cooked out again, LOL! Last night we had baked cod (hubby is not fond of baked fish, but I am not supposed to have fried). I mixed rice milk (probably could have used a little regular milk), dijon mustard and melted butter and pour it in a baking dish. Put fillets in and turned them in it. Baked for 15 minutes. Then sprinkled with seasoned Panko crumbs and drizzled with butter and baked a little longer. Threw together pasta shells with a "chicken gravy" and string beans. Surprisingly, Hubby cleaned his plate!

Hey! Went to the Pain Management Dr. yesterday too. I guess I don't have Chronic Pain Syndrome it seems. Not enough of the correct symptoms! I guess what's going on is that I do have osteopenia and osteoporosis and it is causing extremely slow healing in my foot and ankle. And since the injury I have been going back and forth between walking on it and not walking on it. The walking on it is keeping it from healing (and I did a LOT of walking on it in the beginning). So NOW I am back to NOT walking on it again. I think he is hoping it heals in 1-2 months time. The Dr. suggested a knee scooter for at home. It would free up my hands more and be easier on my hips and knees I guess? I am thinking of getting one. Hate to spend more money (out of pocket or insurance) but these crutches are so sucky! I am SO tired of all this, but glad I don't have the chronic stuff, though I suppose this means my ankle will be more apt to be injured in the future if I am not careful. But I am hoping I am walking again in April!

That is (in its way) wonderful news!

I haven't cooked a meal since Christmas eve. Today I will make fresh mushroom soup and we'll have it with the left over potato buns I made to take to my BIL/SIL's for Christmas dinner.

Husband took me grocery shopping today. We bought the store's pizzaria pizza for lunch. I made BBQ's, baked french fries and corn for supper. Plans for New Year's Eve; we stay in. In the past we usually have steak; but this year we bought the pizzeria's italian for then-lasagna for husband and mostecolli for me and their Italian salad. They had put fresh out, so it will be good for Tuesday night yet kept in the 'fridge.

If the weather and roads are good-I asked my Mom and he gentleman to lunch New Year's Day. Not much to do then. I am going to put out cold cuts, cheese, condiments, bread and buns, potato salad, baked beans, cranberry sauce and sour cream and a dutch apple pie for dessert. It's supposed to be -20 to -23 tonight and tomorrow night. My husband put the horses in. They line up at the gates when it get like this. They aren't dumb. They know it will be warmer inside. Supposed to get a little more snow too. They ARE calling for 'several measurable inches' of snow for New Year's Eve though, so my Mom might not get out. So doesn't like winter either. We "board" her little mini here, as she lives in town, so she doesn't get to see him much. The roads get pretty ice/snow out here, as you all know from being in the same boat. Well, hubby and I will have a nice lunch either way, I guess.

I'm making some spaghetti sauce today with turkey sausage and will serve it over linguine with salad, some garlic cheese bread (H loves that stuff), and this sugar free pudding / cream cheese thing for dessert.

Home made chicken noodle or cream of chicken soup tonight (as per my husbands request
default_smile.png
) to use up the last of the chicken in the fridge. Tomorrow probably something with the left over turkey or ham lol. Maybe turkey pot pie which we both enjoy and can be frozen if I make an extra. I'm out of the fresh potato buns I made so I will probably make biscuits to go with tonight or just some store bought multi grain bread.

For us tonight, it's going to be steak, baked potatoes, salad... maybe something for dessert
default_eat.gif

mmmm, I'd love to have a nice steak tonight. Unfortunately our beef is still on the hoof so it will be more than a month probably before I have a good steak in my deep freeze again. Tonight we are going to my BIL/SILs for spaghetti and birthday cake.

We are getting snow again. Going to have the lasagna/mostocolli and italian salad tonight. Had the Turkey soup last night. My IBS had acted up big, so I used tomato juice instead of diced tomatoes to make it a little more soluble and skipped the beans.

Turkey Pasta Soup

1/2 cup small pasta shells

1/2 pound lean ground turkey

1 small onion, chopped

1/2 garlic clove, minced

3 cups chicken broth

1-15 oz. can white navy or cannellini beans, drained

1-14 oz. can diced tomatoes

1 teasp. each of dried basil and oregano

1/2 teasp. pepper

1/4 teasp. salt

Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in pot, cook the turkey, onion and garlic until meat is cooked through, and drain. Stir in broth, beans, tomatoes with juice and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 10 minutes. Drain pasta and add to soup. Cook 5 minutes longer. 4 servings.

Here's another we enjoy that's easy. It's not truly chowder, but somewhat like it.

Creamy Chicken Corn Chowder (for 2)

1 cup chicken broth

2/3 cup cubed, peeled potato

1/2 cup frozen corn

1/4 teasp. minced garlic

1/8 teasp. dried marjoram

1/8 teasp. dried thyme

1/8 teasp. pepper

2 Tablesp. flour

2/3 cup milk

2 oz. shredded chedder

2/3 cup cooked cubed chicken

Combine broth, potatoes, corn, garlic, marjoram, thyme and pepper in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Combine flour and milk until smooth. Gradually add to vegetable mixture. Bring to boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in cheese until meltedd. Add chicken. Heat through.

And to go with it we sometimes have:

Cheddar and Chive Biscuits (makes about 8)

1/4 cup milk 3 Tablesp. beaten egg, divided 1 cup flour 3/4 teasp. baking powder 1/4 teasp.salt 1/8 teasp. pepper 6 Tablesp. cold butter, cubed 2 Tablesp. minced chives (fresh or dried) 1 tsp. water 1 Tblsp. shredded cheddar cheese

In Small bowl combine milk and 2 T. of egg. set aside. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Cut in butter until it is coarse crumbs. Stir in milk mixture until just moistened. Stir in cheese and chives. Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a 2 inch round biscuit cutter. Place on baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. Combine remaining egg and water and brush onto biscuits. Sprinkle with additional cheese. Bake in preheated 425 degree oven 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot.

Today, I have a thing in the crock pot... these HUGE plump chicken breasts that I cut into large chunks, cream of chicken soup, couple cans of drained sliced muchrooms, some sherry, some parsley, some dried minced onions... It smells really good already but it just went in (on low). Will make some sides, one starchy and a couple low carb ones.

Happy New Year! We have a tradition here so tonight this is our menu. Pork chops, hoppen john, which is rice and black eyed peas, and broccoli for the greens. Yum, looking forward to dinner already, but first the Rose Bowl Parade, yeah!

Jill, that sounds about like the beef I make in the crockpot. Mine is made with round steak (browned before putting it in the pot), cream of mush soup, mushrooms and seasoning (I skip the sherry); and we serve it over noodles.

Well, we got snow..not huge, but enough, about 4-8 inches in the area. The neighbors are back from their Christmas vacation in California. He brought over his little International tractor and gave my husband a fairly quick lesson in working the rear plow and front bucket on it and let him use it to plow our drives. I think he just finished. We paid $75.00 twice already for plowing jobs. So this is nice. I know hubby will try to give him gas money, but he never will take it. (we'll get them a gift dinner card probably).

So my Mom can't get out for our New Year's Day lunch. So we will just do up the sandwiches, potato salad and pie for ourselves. I think I am going to make potato soup tonight and cut up some canadian bacon in it (I'll add peas to my bowl after, since hubby doesn't like peas in his soup).

Yes Jill, I think maybe you need to see a doctor about that! If you lived in one of the colder regions of north america you would be less enamoured of that white crud lol. Still, even I have to admit that it makes the world beautiful to look at. Its just a pain to move around in and if it weren't for my wonderful husband and his bobcat the horses would be hard pressed to move around much since we've already gotten over 2 feet of it. Want some? LOL

H and I should be eating the left over crock pot chicken thing, which was good but a lot like what I usually make chicken into!

What I think we will be eating is some store bought stuffed meatballs (hope they are good!), some butter sauce fettuccine from a mix, some green beans straight out of the can, and a "spring mix" lettuce (from a store-bought box) and grape tomato salad. It's going to be a super easy dinner, but I'm looking forward to digging into it
default_eat.gif

Oh Jill, you can have ALL the snow here and the ice too. And the temps! (well, maybe not the temps, I don't wish bad things to you). Then at least I could get out with this bum foot and crutches. I am not thrilled with theses minus temps coming up, but I guess they are common in some areas anyway. January is such a boring month anyway.

I think I am going to try a sort of shepard's pie tonight with leftovers. I have roast beef from Christmas (freezer) and the mashed potatoes and I will make a gravy and add mixed veggies-I hope. You never know. It is so hard to do things on these crutches. Hubby is supposed to inquire at work about a knee scooter to borrow from someone who just got off it (if she has it-).

Nahhhh. The potatoes looked a little funky after thawing out. Maybe just discolored like potatoes get when they sit out of water; but I didn't want to take a chance. Didn't look appetizing anyway. I think I will grind the roast beef slightly and just throw it in some spaghetti sauce and have pasta. Brrrrr! It's getting cold!

Latest posts

Back