What's For DINNER Tonight?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have leftover spaghetti for tonight, along with salad. I restrained myself yesterday and didn't bake the cookies, but I may not have as much self control this evening
default_biggrin.png

I think I'll try a quiche with shrimp for dinner. I made a huge crock of clam chowder last night for the crew where my husband and son work to have for lunch today as well as cheese biscuits to go with it. Saved a little for myself for lunch too.
default_smile.png

Hubby asked for tuna and mac for supper, so that's what we are having. First time I heard about it, I thought ick, but its actually pretty good. Just mac and cheese with tuna added; I always go for Kraft Mac and cheese, so one can of tuna (drained) per box of mac and cheese. Prepare mac and cheese as usual, then add tuna, leave on stove long enough to heat tuna through and serve.

Wow, I'm going to try the mac & cheese with tuna, that sounds yum, I've made it before with sliced hot dogs, polish sausage and ground beef, but not tried it with tuna, I love tuna.

Tonight it is rump roast, it is cooking right now in my slow cooker, I added a can of french oinion soup and a couple teaspoons of steak sauce. I'll cook it all day, then before feeding the horses I'll take the raost out, let it rest a few minutes, while it is resting, I'll take out a quarter cup of the liquid and make a roo in a cup then add that back in, stir, then slice the roast and add it back in. When I'm done feeding horses I'll serve it with mashed taters. delicious and simple.

Last night Hubby wanted to use a gift card we had for Longhorn Steakhouse. We just had one open up this past week. (we already have a Lone Star and a Texas Road House, both good). The steaks we had were wonderful. Very tender. I had to ask the manager how they did their mashed potatoes. They were real, not instant. I was guessing cream instead of milk; but he said they put some sour cream in them and fresh finely minced parsley for color. My husband thought it was chives, but I told him there was no flavor so I thought it might be parsley.

I like mac and cheese with tuna too. I like to add peas to mine too. My husband will only eat tuna in a sandwich and only mayo, no other mix-ins. When we were first married I used to make tuna casserole at least once a week. He sure was sweet. He ate it and never told me he disliked it! Now he would probable eat a few bites and quietly take it to the kitchen. So I just make stuff like that for my own lunches instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are making me hungry lol. Maybe I need to go eat some breakfast. For mashed potatoes I will often add cream cheese (the new flavoured ones are great for this!) or ranch dressing in place of milk or cream. They turn out so creamy and flavourful even I like them and I am not a big fan of potatoes normally (except to eat them raw lol)

I'm trying to figure it out now. I've got a cold and not much of an appetite, but still will probably want to eat something. Trying to figure out what H and our friend would like as well, but that requires minimal effort on my part. I have slacked off a couple of days already feeling all cold-y. Urgh... but at least H is bringing me home a new bottle of Nyquil!!!
default_517.gif

Sounds like he should bring home pizza and your favorite canned or dry chicken noodle soup so you can heat, serve and rest!

We have chicken breasts cooked in balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper; baked beans (Bush brand) and a steamer mix of squash, red pepper, carrots, onions and asparagus mix veggies (which hubby wrinkled his nose at, but I liked it).

Ahh, Nyquil, the blessing of our time. I swear the stuff is magic (so its probably terrible for us
default_rolleyes.gif
) Hope you are feeling better soon Jill.

I don't know what I'm doing for dinner, probably left overs, hubby is working late and I don't feel like cooking (or eating actually)

I've put it off for two nights, so tonight, I'm finally going to make a batch of meatballs, but no idea what I'm going to make to go with.

I have food thawing in the fridge for Monday lunch, we are preg-checking cows, so I have to feed the crew; I'm making stew. And, I have stuff thawing for Christmas day. We go to the in-laws Christmas Eve for supper and gifts there, my MIL makes a scrabbled egg dinner; then Christmas Day we go to Mom's for brunch and gifts there and usually have scrambled egg brunch, so... This year, I offered to make Chicken and Dumplings for Christmas lunch at Mom's house, give her a break on cooking and me a break on scrambled eggs. They aren't complicated, just need to cook the chicken up ahead of time and haul the ingredients in and use her stove. It'll be a nice change. [i'm really not a big enough fan of scrambled eggs to eat them two days in a row, but I have for the last probably 11 years. Really don't know why I didn't do something sooner, other than laziness.]

Yes! What's on your Christmas menus?!! Christmas Eve is supposed to be here; but I am a bit worried what the weather and road conditions are going to be. We had freezing rain last night. Tomorrow and Sunday are to be snow, at least 3-6", maybe more. So that will need cleaning up. And as you all know, that will mean ice and snow pack roads out in our country areas. Plus we don't have a plow my Hubby will have to hire someone to clean up our driveways for Christmas Eve and all. Monday I scheduled for a Dr. appt. for my ankle too. I am going to worry about my Mom and her gentleman friend driving out here as they are in their early 80's.

Anyway. For Christmas Eve we are to have Roast Beef (I am going to crockpot it), small pork tenderloin (roasting in the oven), mashed potatoes, glazed carrots, (my sister's) home-canned green and wax beans, tossed salad, rolls, ensalada de noche buena and tres leche cake (in honor of my son's girlfriend, who was born and raised in Mexico), cookies (homemade shortbread and iced sugar cut-outs) and those little rolo/pretzel/pecan candies they are showing in the magazines.

Chrismas Day Hubby and I are usually on our own, so we will figure something out then. Otherwise, sometimes my Mom invites us to her and her gentleman friend's for lunch.

I won't be cooking for Christmas dinner again this year (I kinda miss it) but for Christmas eve I will make a ham, garlic mashed potatoes, cream corn, brussels sprouts fried with bacon, a salad and buns. Desert will be icecream and/or the Christmas baking I have done. Not long now.

I'm feeling about the same, but super dopey from the Nyquil! Urgh.

Today is H's and my anniversary (both of our first date (28yrs) and our marriage (10yrs) -- I didn't want to rush things!). I'm making us some nice steaks, loaded baked potatoes and salads. I was "starving" earlier today but now feel like nothing sounds good enough to eat. Hoping my appetite returns because I am making the steaks regardless.

For Christmas, I think it will be crock pot turkey breast and the fixin's. I'm wanting to limit the carbs and make sure it's colorful. Maybe mashed cauliflower, peas, carrots, cranberry sauce (loaded with sugar but no one eats A LOT of that), mixed green / wax beans... And will probably have to bust out a box of stove top stuffing, because that's just mandatory for holidays. Hoping it will taste good, and looking forward to fixing it.

However, I have been contemplating Lasagna instead. Not sure. It will be just H and I for Christmas, but will send food to our friend. I can load it up with sauce and cheese and bell peppers, and add salad, etc., to keep the carbs in check.

H's family does Christmas on Christmas Eve, and my family was planning to do it tomorrow until my cold got in the way -- no one wants to catch it and Mom and I are going to AZ for a couple days (26th-28th -- helping her navigate to see her BFF that she hasn't seen in person in about 40 years, a surprise for her friend's birthday!) ... IMO, flying is the pits regardless but I know from experience, it's a lot worse if you have a cold and I don't want my Mom to get mine before the trip, and neither does she! So our family Christmas get together will probably be 2 weekends after Christmas. Phew, got more time to wrap the presents!!! But to that get together, I plan to bring salad, "Prince Edward Medley" mixed veggies, and donuts from this amazing local bakery.

Jill, I hope you feel better soon, hate having a cold. My two grandsons are coming up from Florida to spen Christmas here at my youngest daughters house. She is taking them sking. So we are not doing Christmas until the 28th at her house. She hasn't decided on the menu yet, but I'm sure I'll be making something to bring. Around here I usually cook a ham on Christmas Eve, potato sald, mac salad, and green salad, so we can eat when we get hungry and all the cooking is already done. Leaves Christmas day open for church or visiting.

Riverrose; I like your menu and schedule. Every year it's a bit of a stress because my sister's daughter has to spread herself out among her husband's relatives both Christmas Eve and the whole of Christmas Day and that evening! We have to squeeze in where we can. My Mother has always claimed Christmas Eve since we were little girls. But my niece's relative have no "give" to them. They don't seem to care that my niece has family too that want to spend some of the holiday with them and their little ones. Every Christmas Eve they have to eat (sparingly), open gifts right away after and run. Kind of spoils the pleasure and peace of it. This year (crutches and all) I am hosting Christmas Eve. To try to help a little, I said we would eat about 5 pm (and hour earlier than usual). My sister asks if we can't eat at 3:30!!!!! So they can spend more time. That's not lunch or supper as far as the rest of us are concerned. So I told her that it just doesn't work for the guys schedules. I can do 4:30 (it'll probably still be 5) and come early for visiting. We will still have to rush gift giving. My sister gets early Christmas morning to spend a LITTLE time with her daughter and grandkids. They come over for a breakfast and gifts there. I just had to vent about greedy relatives/in-laws/etc. that won't work with the other side!

GOODNESS! I lost track of the thread again! Sorry.

Had pan-fried steak, white cheddar mac n cheese and string beans the other night. Tonight was just BBQ's with ground beef and steak fries (Ore Ida frozen).

Got the Dr. appt. tomorrow (Mon.) afternoon-big deal, she's just going to refer me to a pain managment Dr. now (can you tell I am down about all this again?). Fell flat because of the stupid crutches twice today! Those things are dangerous!

Anyway, don't know what I am going to make for supper. I think I will try to get Hubby to stop for something. I have a Christmas cake and deviled eggs to make for Christmas Eve. So I would rather not cook.

This weekend was Christmas for my family. After having it Saturday at my niece's with lots of extended family having chili, seafood etoufee, and tons of snacks I was looking forward to Sunday with my boys and their wives and children at my small home with a small crowd. I even invited their Dad and his wife because my youngest son just thinks he does not have the time to go to "so many places." I cooked a pork loin (heavily seasoned with home-grown herbs), garlic mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean bundles, wheat rolls, cheese log, cookies, brownies, deviled eggs, garden salad, and bought a delish Edward's pie. This was blessed holiday season. I having been cooking snacks for my office all week. I seem to be the only one in the Christmas spirit. Same went with Thanksgiving...I cooked Buffalo Wing Soup for my office. It really is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I cooked it for my boys families after Thanksgiving and they loved it. Since I did not have a kitchen last year due to water damage I am loving cooking this year!

Stopped at Culvers tonight. I had a butterburger and a side salad. Hubby had the Fish Dinner (and some custard of coarse!).

Got my Tres Leche cake half finished. I guess I will be staying up to finish it. I want it completely cool before putting the filling in and icing it. Decided to skip the deviled eggs. I like them a lot, but there will be plenty to eat.

Niece texted and said they want to come early to visit because NOW they have to be at her husband's family even earlier. OH WELL! Told her OK and the kids could have their gifts when they come. If they can't stay to eat that's ok too. Next year I think we will just plan a dinner and if they make it, they make and if they don't, they don't. Stuff like that happens I guess. We will enjoy the evening anyway. I am looking forward to it and the company.

Going to the Pain Dr. Friday. They said I have got to start getting back on that foot or I never will. Wonder of wonders, I actually was able to hobble fairly well (considering) for a while tonight on it (Praise God!!!). Only used one crutch too!

Enjoy your next two days!

I'm not cooking, but we always have scrambled eggs with bacon plus dessert for Christmas Eve dinner at the in laws.

And, I have my chicken cooked and ready to make chicken and dumplings tomorrow for noon meal at Mom's.

Leftovers! Tonight I am going to take some of the leftover roast beef and make a stew or soup. Probably with potatoes and carrots or mix veggies, maybe some noodles. Whatever I feel like throwing in when I get going.

I had some of the leftover salad for lunch with some leftover King's Hawaiian rolls and a tuna fish sandwich.

I am going to freeze the rest of the roast beef and the pork tenderloin. There a quite a bit of mashed potatoes leftover (I went overboard). Those could be frozen, couldn't they?

Latest posts

Back