What type cart?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuzzle

Reaction score
My boy is going into driving training and I will need to get a cart. There are so many to choose from so I was wondering what everyone's favorites are. Also I was looking at Triple C Carts. Anyone had experience with them? Are they comfortable, good quality, durable? I hate not being able to "test drive" before I buy so any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

What are your plans? Are you looking at showing, doing parades, CDE, Roadster, touring around your farm and local country roads?

For local/4-H shows, an Easy Entry "EE" cart is great. It's easy to use, very sturdy, and has a seat built for 2 or 3 adults/kids. They can be customized by recovering the seat and back support, and a can of spray paint. They are not typically used in AMHA/AMHR shows, certainly not at Worlds or Nationals. They run around $400+ and hold their value well.

AMHA/AMHR shows - a "Show Cart" is the norm. This is a wooden shaft cart with bike type wheels and a vinyl "basket." New ones will run $1,200 and up, depending on if you want custom paint. Occasionally you can find a good used one for $900 and up. Some manufacturers are Jerald, Double Diamond, Waggoner (I think they are still around). Very rarely you will find a Houghton, which is IMO the Cadillac of carts.

For a "Roadster" class you will need a show type cart stirrups and with the basket removed, a closed wheel - where there are one or more bars across the entire width of the wheel to protect others if it comes off. There are also regular Roadster carts out there that don't have the basket, just the stirrups.

There are others who manu carts. You have to be careful to check the balance of the cart so it's not too heavy on the horse's back. You should be able to hold the shaft up with one finger with someone sitting in the cart. If you can't, pass it by!

Putting a "wanted" ad on the saleboard might help you find the right cart.

Driving is a blast - have fun!

Hope this helps!

You might want to post this on the driving forum (go to "Forum" and then "Driving...") where you are likely to get more replies.

What type of driving will you be doing? Pleasure driving around the farm, breed show ring driving, American Driving Society Driving, all of the above or none of the above??? Many of us have LOTS of carts. The one I actually use the most is an Amish made wooden Easy Entry cart I got from Star Lake Tack. Not my favorite (that is a Graber show cart) but the most useful because I can use it for training and giving cart rides. I didn't test drive any of mine.

If you are a beginner and haven't driven before I would look at getting an easy entry. They are the least expensive carts, easiest to get in and out of, lightweight and easy for a green horse to pull and easily resaleable if you find driving is not something you are going to enjoy. They will also be a cart that will be always be useful down the road should you decide you really love driving!

If you are an experienced driver and know what type of driving you would most be interested in that will dictate your choice of vehicles.

There are many threads from the past on both the main forum and the newer driving forum on the merits of many different vehicles. Do a search on the name of the vehicle you are interested in.

My boy is going into driving training and I will need to get a cart. There are so many to choose from so I was wondering what everyone's favorites are. Also I was looking at Triple C Carts. Anyone had experience with them? Are they comfortable, good quality, durable? I hate not being able to "test drive" before I buy so any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
To answer your question about the Triple C cart, I have never seen or used one. I looked them up and The one thing I would be concerned about with this particular cart would be the breaks on a pnumatic tire. Other than that they are about the same cost as any other easy entry cart. I also personally do not like the looks of this particular cart. Also, be very careful about weather the cart (not the Triple C Carts) is a China import or not. Odds are you will have to repair a China made cart soon after you get it. Look through the tack dealers on the forum (main page) you will find a very nice cart that is reasonable.

Thanks for your replies. I am new to driving and am just looking for a cart to learn with and go down the road with. My eventual goal will be to do some little open shows and maybe even someday get into CDE but that's way down the road. So easy entry cart is what I am looking for. Thank you for the information on the weight that was a huge help. Where I am sending my boy for training they have an older knock around cart that they said I could buy for a real reasonable price but when I picked it up unloaded it felt really heavy and the shafts are really skinny which looked weird to me. I had picked up and pulled a friends Easy Ryder cart and it was light so I was wondering if the weight would be an issue.

The shafts on my cart that was made in China are about 3/4" to 1" in diamiter which is kind of standard. The easy entry carts on Ozark minis, for the tack it is "mini tack.com" is a very nice cart that you will not have to repair every time you turn around. I made the mistake of buying a China cart that on our 3rd outing both wheel bearings went out. After much searching I found new ones at $80 each (they take a strange bearing and take 4) which if I had to buy the bearings The cart would have cost me more than if I had gone with the better cart. As it turned out my mother knew someone that worked at a printing plant and they gave me the bearings (all 4) so my cart didn't cost more. I would really reccomend the ozark cart for a first time cart if you want to stay safe.

Katiean, just to clarify--not all "China" carts are created equal! I say that because the CTM carts that Ozark sells--the ones you are recommending--are also made in China. CTM products are located in Ohio, so I was surprised when I got my Mini cart from Ozark Mtn. several years ago and the boxes all came with "Made in China" emblazoned across them! However, I can say that even though they are made in China, the CTM carts are excellent carts. Quite a number of people in this area have them, and they are all holding up well to use. They have good wheels on them, and the carts themselves are well made and well balanced. Actually someone looked at mine the one day & couldn't tell that it wasn't a Frontier cart (and this fellow is very keen on the Frontiers--he will tell you that a Frontier is the only EE cart to buy!) Still, he gave my CTM cart the seal of approval and wasn't convinced that it wasn't actually made by Frontier for CTM! <VBG>

Having said that, I got a pony cart (also a CTM from Ozark) last fall, and the boxes it came in said made in Hong Kong...or was it Taiwan? It wasn't China, but some other Asian country. So, I'm not sure if all the CTM carts are now made there, of if pony carts are made one place and Mini carts still in China.

But, definitely some of the made in China carts are not a good buy. There are some advertised on e-bay that are very cheap and I've known a couple people that bought them and had something break right away. I've also known a couple people that bought some not-so-cheap carts from another source and had to replace the wheels right away. Some wheels simply are not made strong enough to be used on carts!

Latest posts

Back