What should I do with Josie and what is happening

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Kay, Josie is looking lovely besides those awful little sores, poor bubba girl.

I agree with the others the vet needs to look at that asap! considering its itchy, I would think lice or some form of infection... and she might need some antibiotics to settle it down, I think once the infection (or whatever it is) is healed you won't have a problem with the itching, the cream that Diane suggested will help for a little while... maybe something with an anaesthetic agent in it will help as well, but all of these should just be temporary until the vet comes... (cortisone is quite a dangerous drug, and if given for long amounts of time can greatly affect the skin and even organs in her body) so please be careful when using it Kay, and the same with your dog, we have a thing over here called Neocorte. which is pretty much what Diane has suggested. not sure if you can get it over there...

she is looking good otherwise
default_smile.png
can't wait to see how she grows up
default_smile.png
just lovely!!

with clipping, its hard to know, what sort of clippers are they? its best to wash her before you clip her so the blades don't blunten as much, as a dirty coat will blunt blades really fast! good luck with everything, please let us know how you go with the vets
default_smile.png

Should I just brush her really good? I will try the cream for a little bit. We rescued a goat one time and it had fleas but you could see them very plainly but are they sometimes not visible? What would be a good way to bathe her? Her sore isn't open but could it still get infected? I will get my clippers out and we have spray for them! When I clip her do I just shave her down all the way or do I leave like 1/2inch? If you did that it would be very uneven wouldn't it? I need tips on clipping!! Ha ha

We put cordisone cream on our dogs tummy since he is allergic to grass and he is a mini dachshund (wiener dog)! Ha ha.

Josie is turining black around her muzzle, eyes, and her chest is starting to turn a little black!!! Do you think she will turn black with a white mane and tail or is it just a phase?? I was kind of hoping she stayed a palomino!! She carries the creme gene so what could she possibly be??

She finally stopped rubbing her sides and she has some hair growing back now! The hair that is growing back is also black with a few palomino hairs in it!!

Ok, well I am going to clip her today and we will find out what is under that foal coat! Here are some pictures I took yesterday!!

Josie 1.jpg

Josie 2.jpg

Josie 3.jpg

Josie 4.jpg

Good luck with the clipping, but dont expect her to show you the colour that she will end up with! A clipped coat never shows a horse's true colour. With a foal you may have to wait until next Spring as she loses her winter woollies and develops her first true coat.

great pic and advice Diane, I agree, kay I see a beautiful Pally filly there, I'm still waiting for my 8 month old Finn to show me what colour he is truly, I'm guessing dark bay with him but he has so many colours in his coat its so hard to know... I reckon foals do that just to keep you on your toes and make sure your giving them enough attention LOL

my mare Penny is another example of the black based chestnut/ pally's like Diane has explained so well, here is a picture of her, from last summer, I love her black eyeliner and muzzle, and I think Josie will be the same, just lighter
default_smile.png
:)

018.JPG

hope that helps,
default_smile.png

This is what they call a "black skin" palomino -- so you can see the influence of the black skin. The coat can be flecked with black, or show black hairs in the mane or tail, and the muzzle can be black. They are still "palominos".

marko244_1.jpg
The color is shown in this pictures looks very much like my silver bay dun mini mare, Tana (can't see legs in the horse above, so I won't rule out silver bay).

Here's Tana:

Tana - July 22, 2010 - standing.jpg

[Her nose looks pink cause she has appy characteristics.]

Tana - May 18, 2009.jpg

I need to get new pictures that show better just how dark her coat is. Soon, as I need to add some to the foaling page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diane he is beautiful, I used to have a Haflinger stallion that had dark skin, all Haflingers are Palomino even the darker ones like mine.

horses 201.jpg

Sorry I haven't been on for a while but Josie's legs and belly are very dark but she has like a white stripe on her back but is still like a palomino with a white mane and tail!! She is turning but we have no clue what she will end up!! I will post pics soon!! I have been so busy it's been crazy!! She is coming along very nice with her leading and showmanship! Her mom jasmine just finished her driving training and you can see her pulling under dreamindelmar on YouTube! Thanks for all of the pics!!

hard to tell without seeing pics. sounds like she is a nice dark golden pally to me... but I don't know much about palominos... so glad she is going so well for you
default_smile.png
well done!

Latest posts

Back