What pre foaling shots do you give your pregnant mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
We normally give EWT , Tetnas Toxoid and WNV in addition to the Rhino shots they have gotten throughout the pregnancy and hold off with Rabies till after the foal is born. But I think I recall a lot of people also hold off on the WNV till after foaling too . Please excuse my long line of words new computer with windows 8 doesn't agree with the forum I think .

We only do the Rhino shots throughout pg. I worry about abortions with too many shots.

May I ask, Lori, why do you give a Tetanus Toxoid in addition to the EWT? I believe the EWT includes a Tetanus already.

I give Rabies, West Nile, Tetanus, and Rhino. Pregnant mares get Rhino at 5,7, and 9 months. Firm believer in giving all the necessary shots to all the horses whether they are for showing, breeding or just pets. I also don't understand why some breeders don't vaccinate foals when they are old enough to be vaccinated. If anyone is hesitant (not sure if I spelled that word right) on giving any of the shots to pregnant mares than at least do it before breeding them. They can't do it themselves. It's our job to keep them healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't vaccinate pregnant mares for anything during pregnancy. I've had mares abort in the past after vaccinations of all kinds, so I hold off vaccinating pregnant mares. I do vaccinate my mares after foaling and before breeding back. Normally, I do EWT and WN. Rhino/flu to those that have never had it. I do start vaccinating my foals by the time they reach 4 months of age.

I dont give any while the mares are pregnant I make sure they have them before they are bred so they are not due for any.

A friend of mine used to do the one you give a month before foaling and her mares where losing their foals.

I give the foals their foal needle within the 48 hours and their tetanus and their other needles as they become old enough.

EEE, WEE, Tetanus, and Flu. Never lost a foal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back