Do you do pre-foaling shots?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniequine

Reaction score
Do you all give pre-foaling shots? Which shots?? Curious

Thanx
default_smile.png

I try to give pre-foaling shots about 30 days before the mare foals but split into 2 sessions. Once it turned out to be the DAY before. I give whatever my other horses get in the spring - EWT, rabies, West Nile, Potomic(?), Rhino/flu.

No, I do not vaccinate my mares at all during pregnancy if it can be helped. Any vaccine can cause a reaction and sometimes a fever. Even a low grade fever can be enough to abort a fetus. I've had several mares abort over the years close to vaccinating. A coincidence, maybe. But, I decided it wasn't worth taking the risk anymore. I vaccinate my mares shortly after foaling and start vaccines on my foals at an earlier age. Generally around 3 months. This year it was 4.
default_rolleyes.gif

I also keep my show horses that come and go vaccinated for Rhino/Flu. I do think that helps to keep exposure to the breeding herd at a minimum.

Good point Becky about the Rhino/flu for the show horses. We learned that one the hard way and this year the show horse and the yearlings are getting Rhino/flu every 2-3 months during show season.

Always. 4 to 6 weeks prior to foaling. I do a 4-Way (flu, tetanus, WEE, EEE). Foals are vaccinated after they are weaned (between 4 and 6 months of age).

Last edited by a moderator:
VEWT flu/rhino, some years WNV. No mosquitos in Texas this year though. Used to do rabies but had so many reactions to it one year - and have read that it does not give foal immunity (can anyone verify that? don't know if it's true) - that wait and do it after foaling.

Jan

Thanks everybody ! I appreciate your info. I have talked to several breeders too.... they pretty much all say the same thing.

I think I will wait until she foals. I am afraid to give any shots at this point.

Hard decision.....

Thanks again
default_smile.png

I first make sure all my mares receive E/W/T, F/R & WNV prior to breeding. Then at 5, 7 & 9 months pregnant they will get a Pneumabort K. I do my best to try and give a E/W/T/F & WNV 3-6 week prior to expectewd foaling. Approximately 12- 16 hours after foaling I run a IGG test to check that the foals immune system is strong. If the test is boarderline or low I have plasma given.

Latest posts

Back