Doing your own vaccines

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do vaccinate for WNV and they get their tetnus however I do not vaccinate my aged mare (who is somewhere upwards of 25) for anything else It is a decision my vet agreed with for that particular mare.

My oldies are old. One is somewhere in her 20's and the other is between 30-35. I had another old mare in the same age range but I gave her to a little girl this summer as a starter horse. I think I will stick to what I am doing.

Seems kinda silly to me to STOP giving vaccines when they most need them.... when they are old, with a weakened immune system. Kinda counter-intuitive.

Seems kinda silly to me to STOP giving vaccines when they most need them.... when they are old, with a weakened immune system. Kinda counter-intuitive.
Thanks for your opinion Nathan I know everyone has different ideas I cant speak for Ashley just for myself and my vet was in total agreement with me in fact helped with the choice on our aged mare who again gets WNV and Tetanus that is it

Efficacy of vaccinations decrease in an 'elderly' equine and risk of illness due to the vaccines increases. I give tetanus shots to our 'elderly' horses because we have so much flooding every spring, but, with my vets guidance, I do not vaccinate for anything else as they have very little risk of exposure to anything else.

Efficacy of vaccinations decrease in an 'elderly' equine and risk of illness due to the vaccines increases. I give tetanus shots to our 'elderly' horses because we have so much flooding every spring, but, with my vets guidance, I do not vaccinate for anything else as they have very little risk of exposure to anything else.
My vet was on this same thought with my senior gelding; we vaccinated for tetanus plus sleeping sickness that's it for the old guy.

Several horse (big and small) friends have suggested I do my own vaccinations (except for what the vet needs to do). My hesitation is that I feel "guilty" about doing the vet out of his job. Though I know it's a matter of finances-not being cheap or stupid. How do most vets feel about their clients giving their own vaccines?
default_ohnoes.jpg
I work at a vet clinic and believe me in saying that it makes us much happier when people do their own vaccinations! with all the stuff that we "have" to do it frees up our time if we are not vaccinating every horse in the area. Dont feel guilty, there is plenty of work for him/her.
default_biggrin.png

That is a common misconception. Reactions do not increase. Reactions are a side effect of an over-active immune system, not an underactive one. It is VITAL to continue and increase vaccinations for older animals, just like it is for older humans.

Reactions can be a side effect of an overactive OR underactove one, Nathan. There are some vaccinations that elderly people are not recommended to be given as well. I just got done taking a few classes on it
default_smile.png
Love learning about the immune system-it is so complex.

Of course vaccinations are recommended for most. The positives usually always outweigh the negatives. I vaccinate for what my vet and myself feel is necessary.

Latest posts

Back