What neurotic horse related behavior do you do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovinarabs

Reaction score
Now with winter here I am constantly worrying about everyone weighing enough, but not too much. My friend Teresa gets such a kick out of it. Taron is such an easy keeper and gains weight so easily that he is actually a little chubby going into winter, but that is okay. He actually put on weight over winter last year so I have to be careful not to spoil him too much. But I am always worrying if I can feel a rib there or here, and was that prominent or just barely able to feel it, etc… It is especially hard now that we have Chic. She being a quarter horse (and built like one – wow) she looks so much bigger than Romeo, and then when you see him next to Taron who looks like an old broodmare with a 10 month old foal he looks scrawny. I actually called Teresa the other day and asked her if she would come and look at Romeo because I am worried about his weight. She laughed at me, okay – I am a little neurotic, soothed my fears and promised to check him out the next time she is here. So then last night I actually had a nightmare that I went out to do chores and Buddy and Trooper were just skin and bones. They were like walking skeletons and then as I was frantically trying to figure out how this happened over night and what to do, the owners of the resuce I adopted them from, pulled in the driveway and took them away. It was awful! I still get choked up remembering it. Have you ever had those dreams where you wake yourself up crying. ACCKKKK!! I am losing my mind! And here’s the really freaky part. I have stress induced psoriasis and for the last 15 years I have really battled with it. Since I got the horses it has been slowly getting better and I am happy to say that I am virtually spot free at the moment. Now how is this possible when I never stop worrying about all of them! ;) Just had to share my little neurotic behavior for the day.

I worry about colic more this time of year. I live in the desert SW so our winters are pretty mild. But we do get cold nights now and then. We are in a "cold" snap right now and it will probably get down to 15 or so tonight. The water troughs freeze and I get super paranoid about everybody not drinking enough and getting impacted. I add salt to the feed for those that don't lick their salt blocks. I am planning on ordering a couple heated buckets to have on hand for the older horses in particular. They don't sell heated buckets or water trough heaters around here.

I get most obsessive near foaling season. When a mare is close to being due to foal, I am constantly checking her, I keep her on camera and have the Equipage on her, and I most definitely do not go ANYWHERE when a mare could foal, even if it is a remote possibility. My family rolls their eyes
default_rolleyes.gif
: and think I am crazy
default_wacko.png
: , and my youngest daughter makes muttered remarks about "the thrills of foaling season", but they are also proud of me for my dedication to my mares and foals.

With as obsessive and neurotic as I get during foaling season, it's a good thing that I have a limited foaling season, lol!

I get most obsessive near foaling season. When a mare is close to being due to foal, I am constantly checking her, I keep her on camera and have the Equipage on her, and I most definitely do not go ANYWHERE when a mare could foal, even if it is a remote possibility. My family rolls their eyes
default_rolleyes.gif
default_wacko.png
: , and my youngest daughter makes muttered remarks about "the thrills of foaling season", but they are also proud of me for my dedication to my mares and foals.

With as obsessive and neurotic as I get during foaling season, it's a good thing that I have a limited foaling season, lol!
default_yes.gif
: Ditto!

I click to people when the line I'm in isn't moving at the pace I want it to...

default_rolleyes.gif
default_wacko.png

HEHEHEHE...just watch how many of us have questions flying at foaling time, we are too impatient to wait and can't take time to remember the wait from last year!

Winter time I'm weekly doing a pasture walk-though, doing my "touch-test" for weight.....feeling for ribs and backbones, etc......

But during foaling time, I have to admit I'm the most stressed out. I get jumpy, only sleep an hour or two at a time to sit up and check the camera monitor......constantly watching mares during the day for any "different" behavior.......Sometimes I wonder why is it always ME that does this? Meanwhile, Larry is happily sawing logs next to me!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

MA

Not sure if this is what you mean but in the past if I am with a child and they start to move I will reach out and grab them and say whoa!!!

Also in the past if i had been working horses all morning i have been know to tell a child to okay walk on.....

Many strange looks and boy do you feel foolish.

If you mean what strikes terror in my heart its to see a horse down rolling or kicking at its sides.. Stark terror......

Bonnie

OH BOY! :eek: I do some strange things too! I am right there with the people that click to the kids and say whoa! my 3 y.o. son has gotten used to this. He actually responds better to me when I click and say whoa.... I know it's bad!
default_unsure.png
:

I get crazy about blankets and weight with the horses during the winter. I HAVE to make sure that the horses are getting enough hay and are keeping weight on. If I feel that they aren't I give corn oil with the grain and if I think the horse is thin enough, I have to blanket so they don't work too hard to keep warm and put on weight. So far the only horse out of 21 that has a blanket is my arab yearling filly. She was thin going into winter and since the weather here has been up and down... She also didn't have a winter coat started when it got cold here the first time so she's been blanketed with a medium-weight blanket since the temps droped to freezing the first time! Hoping I don't have to blanket any more this year!!!
default_yes.gif
:

I think most of all, I tend to yell "Heads Up!" while at work if I am pulling a pallet or taking something large to the back, lol. You get some pretty weird looks from people. I also have a habit of going "ennght" (the weird no sound) at kids when they are doing something or are fixing to do something wrong...As far as being paranoid, I don't really get too worried unless it is windy or raining. I've been known to come home from work to put a horse in the barn or to blanket them. My boss doesn't like it. But, hey the citters are my family and unless they want me to miss alot of work, they are going to have to deal with me leaving everynow and then to take care of my horses so they don't get sick.

:new_shocked: I don't do any horsey thins so much any more, but I do sometimes have nightmares. Since watching liberty at worlds on the computer I've dreamt that "my" horse War Paint is in liberty and when I go to catch him he runs into the fence and breaks his neck. I wake up in hysterics . Now mind you I don't have a horse named War Paint but if I did I would never put OR in Liberty.

Latest posts

Back