What makes a Tobiano?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice horses....Tobiano does not produce face white.

None.

So, if your horse has face white it may well have Tobiano but it also has another pattern.

And this thread was started to show Tobianos only, in order to educate.

/quote]

The face can have blaze, star or snip according to articles I have found.

According to Equusite.com:

[SIZE=18pt]Tobiano[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Tobiano is a dominant color pattern, and is most common. A tobiano generally has four white legs, at least below the hocks and knees. The dark color of the pattern is usually covering one or both flanks and the spots are regular and distinct (smooth ovals or round patterns that extend down over the neck, chest, and/or shoulders giving the appearance of a "war shield"). Generally, face markings are just like a solid-colored horse (solid, blaze, strip, star or snip) and body color may be either predominantly dark or white. The mane and tail is usually mixed of two colors. A majority of tobianos have spots that are smooth-edged and not jagged like most overos, and many have white over their back and/or neck. [/SIZE]

To clarify this is what APHA considers tobiano:

The dark color usually covers one or both flanks.

Generally, ALL FOUR legs ARE white, at LEAST below the hocks and knees.

Generally, the spots are regular and distinct as ovals or round patterns that extend down over the neck and chest, giving the appearance of a shield.

Head markings are like those of a solid-colored horse--solid, or with a blaze, strip, star or snip.

A tobiano may be either predominantly dark or white.

The tail is often two colors.

Hope that doesn't confuse anyone but wanted to clarify that tobianos CAN have all four white legs and CAN have facial markings with just the tobiano pattern

With that said, here are our tobianos:

102_1105.jpg

101_0906.jpg

102_1117.jpg

CIMG1620.JPG

Tucker.jpg

Nope, sorry, Tobiano , on it's own does not produce face white.

The APHA is wrong, it is a simple as that, just in the same way that the AMH/R often get their colours wrong, the APHA has got it's patterns wrong.

Wish they would enter the 21st Century- but what can you do??

Tobiano inhibits white forward of the chest/shoulder, thus, with Tobiano alone, you do not get any white on the face.

But, as said, I have only seen a couple of horse that were Tobiano alone- and they were minimals.

So, basically, all your animals have another pattern- looks like Sabino- going on.

Sabino is thought to be the most likely culprit for "normal" face and leg markings that are now known to be a minimally expressed Pinto pattern.

Thus the sudden appearance of Pinto Arabs and TBs

Last edited by a moderator:
Where would one go to find the correct definition of Tobiano since APHA and Equusite.com is wrong?

Leslie

I found this at VGL (veterinarian genetic lab) at UC Davis on tobiano:

Gene TO: Tobiano Spotting Pattern

Several different white spotting patterns exist in horses, but so far only that of tobiano (Fig. 2E) has been clearly shown to be conditioned by a single gene. Tobiano spotting, symbolized by TO, is a variable restricted pattern of white hair with underlying pink skin which can occur with any coat color. The pattern is present at birth and stable throughout life. In general, white extends from the neck crest, withers on top of the croup in an apparent top-to-bottom distribution on the body. The white areas may merge to form an extensive white pattern of generally smooth outline. The legs are white, but the head is usually dark except for a facial marking pattern.

But... solid horses with no pinto close in their background can and do have snips, blazes, stripes, stars, etc. I've always heard that Tobianos have a predominately dark face but can have these markings with no other pattern.

This is Rowdy was tested Positive for Tobiano: Homozygous Pos ( TT) Also has ink spots

Rowdysmall.jpg
Rowdyweb2.jpg

Rowdy2marks.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is OMP Pizazzs Yessiree Bob:

BobLeftJune02.jpg

He has splint boots on his front legs in this photo:

BobRPTrottingRightCroppedmedium.jpg

For those who insist tobianos can have face white and still not carry any other pattern, how do you explain QH/Paints? AQHA Quarter Horses with generation after generation of only "solid" breeding, with "no Paint," still sometimes produce Paints! And what kind of Paints are they? Overos! They all come from parents who appear solid with the exception of face white, but are really minimal overos, thus they are producing overo foals. Same thing with minis. White markings on the face are indicative of some form of overo.

I have to admit, I'm not into QHs anymore, so I don't know the correct terminology for the "crop outs," but I do know AQHA now registers them. Anyway, this was about color.

Once testing is available for Splash and wider testing available for Sabino, this will all be easier to understand. Meanwhile, many will continue to disagree with each other. I hold to the opinion that ANY face white is the result of another gene other than Tobiano.

Being homozygous for Tobiano does NOT mean that they cannot have another pattern present also. Just the same as a homozygous Black can also have Cream, Agouti, and Silver added to the mix to create a Silver Buckskin.

eb4c9139.jpg

Our homozygous stallion, L&J Excessive Style

ecefb715.jpg

Our red/white mare, Moss Grove Lightin Lady & her colt, CJMM Painted Noble Spirit

ebb1a4b5.jpg

Our mare, Moss Grove--CJMM Painted Dancer

Here are my beautiful Tobiano girls.
default_wub.png
:

The black is Sugar, the buckskin is her daughter Princess.

Sugar's markings are pretty minimal, compared to Prin's. You can see how the white is on her withiers, the white in her tail, the ermine spots.

sugar2-1.jpg

GuessWhosPrego004.jpg

GuessWhosPrego011.jpg

On princess, she's got black around her chestnuts, ermine spots, white from above (seen on top of butt), solid colored head. typical tobiano.

CharmHomeandherd020.jpg

CharmHomeandherd024.jpg

CharmHomeandherd0322.jpg

these color threads are so fun and informative, thanks!

I'm still not convinced that Tobiano's can't have "normal" facial markings like star/strip/snip. There are multiple solid horses that have no Pinto in their breeding that have facial markings. It seems if what rabbitfizz and songcatcher are saying is really true than most horses must carry sabino or other overo color patterns.....and I just don't think it's true. I think it will be interesting to see as our color genetics become more defined and testing more prevalent what comes of this. :bgrin

In the mean time......here are some of my tobiano's

Dream

100_0415.jpg

Heir

Heir2.jpg

Lily

100_0508.jpg

Lacy and mom(Desi)

100_0223.jpg

100_0207.jpg

both have facial markings but certainly both look tobi to me. :bgrin

Lauralee, Thanks, this is always interesting!!!

Here is my tobiano, He's LWO neg, Homozygous black, solid face

He does have one solid leg... What does that mean???

LittleJohnweb6-18-06.jpg

I'm still not convinced that Tobiano's can't have "normal" facial markings like star/strip/snip. There are multiple solid horses that have no Pinto in their breeding that have facial markings. It seems if what rabbitfizz and songcatcher are saying is really true than most horses must carry sabino or other overo color patterns.....and I just don't think it's true. I think it will be interesting to see as our color genetics become more defined and testing more prevalent what comes of this.
I agree with you 100%, I find it very hard to believe that ALL of those horses out there are technically overos..

I'm confused
default_wacko.png
:

This is Capall Beag Tinkerbell, who i have been calling a sorrel & white pinto but now ??????

Help please

Tink1.jpg

Tullamore0025.jpg

She has brown eyes and some sorrel colouring through her tail but her left side is completely white.

thanks

I'm confused
default_wacko.png
:

This is Capall Beag Tinkerbell, who i have been calling a sorrel & white pinto but now ??????

Help please

Tink1.jpg

Tullamore0025.jpg

She has brown eyes and some sorrel colouring through her tail but her left side is completely white.

thanks
Of course she is Pinto. Tobiano, Splashed White, Sabino, and Frame (LWO) are all forms of Pintos. Your mare appears to me to be Tobiano + either Splash or Sabino or both.

Latest posts

Back