What makes a Tobiano?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauralee

Reaction score
I'm going to get several posts started, in order to demonstrate the various pinto patterns to the folks that are showing a desire to learn. Please help me by posting pictures that depict typical TOBIANO.

Trying to avoid examples where it is obvious that the horse carries more than one pattern, in hopes that it can be demonstrated what each pattern looks like. Lets keep this simple so that other folks can learn from it. Please do not complicate this thread with every color exception to the rule. That will only confuse newbies more.

So what makes a tobiano? (IN GENERAL)

Tobianos have solid colored faces.

Tobianos have brown eyes.

Tobianos have white stockings to the knees and hocks.

Tobianos have white patterns that run in a vertical fashion.

Tobianos have white patterns that tend to cross the midline of the back.

Here are some examples of TOBIANO:

jubilee2.jpg
promise.jpg

blueonblack2.jpg
lonestar3.jpg

blue4.jpg
lillysales.jpg

photos18.jpg
photos1.jpg

Please add pictures of tobiano, and any additional educational tips for identifying the pattern. For those that intend to learn, feel free to ask questions!

Thanks for this.

It'll be a great help for those of us who still mix them up.

:aktion033:

Hmmm...I thought I had two, but now I'm not so sure
default_smile.png
Oh well I will keep watching the thread and learn. Thank you for doing this.

IMAG0003.GIF

LDS Midnight Myst - Sorry the photo is dark, but you can see her white markings. She also has a patch on her near side about 6 x 12"

IMAG0001.JPG

OB Double Dynamic - sorrel pinto stallion - sire is Alvadar's Double Destiny, solid Buckskin.

paintedecho1.jpg

FHF Painted Echo - doesn't show his face, but it's solid with brown eyes.

Jan

It is important to remember that TOBIANO tends to stop the pattern at the knees and hocks. You will see four even white socks, and color will come down to the knees all around. If you have a horse with white going WAY over the knees or hocks, then there is something else (probably splash) going on there.

Just FYI.

Please remember, the guidelines that Lauralee has given for Tobiano is to be used as a "baseline" to start at. The amount of white markings on Tobianos can vary greatly. You can have a "minimum expressed" Tobiano that has only a spot of white on it. And you can have a "maximum expressed" Tobiano which can be almost pure white expect for a dark head!
default_yes.gif
: There is a wonderful page in one of my color books showing all the different variations of the different patterns....Tobiano, Splash, Frame, Sabino. If my scanner worked, I would scan these variations for you & post here....but I can't until I get my scanner working again.
default_sad.png

Here is Sweetie....a typical Tobiano. Dark head, brown eyes, white markings over back & socks/stockings. The Tobianos that have more white than her...would have higher stockings & if the tail is multi-colored, the, the top is white & the end is colored. (looks like it's been dipped in paint)

fbaa5eb4.jpg

valdez.jpg

North Stars Valdez Y Basan

robin.jpg

Circle J Robin & 2006 filly (sired by Valdez) Circle J Kara

The colt in my Avadar is a tobiano. Dark face, chest shield, white to the knees. He is from a smoky black stallion and a dun tobiano mare.

This is Maggie this past summer.

DSCN0382.jpg

Leslie
This lovely filly obviously has Tobiano, but also carries another pattern as Tobiano alone would not produce face white.

The colt in my Avadar is a tobiano. Dark face, chest shield, white to the knees. He is from a smoky black stallion and a dun tobiano mare.
Once again, this colt obviously is Tobiano, but also carries another pattern as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my tobi. When bred to a solid she typically has a solid. When bred to a pinto(they have been homozygous) she has pinto typically with splash or frame added.

meg_head.jpg

lexus1.jpg

serenade4.jpg

sammy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like these color threads!!! :aktion033: These are My 2 Tobiano mares.

Sukierag.jpg

Candy.jpg

Here is a classic homozygous tobiano, JEM Vegas Lady.

2-07Vegas5.jpg

Her daughter, Redrock Sasakwa, exhibits tobiano pattern except for one blue eye which she gets from her daddy, Redrock Incognito!

2-07SasakwaShow2.jpg

Here is an example of a more minimally marked tobiano. Mini Bits Kandi Kisses. She only has body white on her right side. White on 4 legs. No white crossing the back. Many people mistakenly call this overo when it is not. She does have a small white snip indicative of another pattern, but her body says tobiano.

2-07Kandi1.jpg

Here is an example of an even more minimally marked tobiano. Cuddlesome Melody Of The Heart. Melody only has two hind socks and a few white hairs in her tail, however, she is genetically a tobiano and has proven it with her foals.

Melody05.jpg

Here are several examples of tobianos...

This is "Rainy". She is a bay(clipped out looking black) tobiano. Her dam is a homozygous (for tobiano) silver pinto, and her sire is a bay pinto.

tobiano1a.jpg
tobiano1b.jpg

This is "Angel". She is a grulla minimal white tobiano. Her dam is a dun minimal pinto, and her sire is a black pinto.

tobiano2a.jpg
tobiano2b.jpg

This is "Bonus". He is a bay tobiano. His dam is a solid bay, and his sire is a black pinto.

tobiano3a.jpg
tobiano3b.jpg

This is "Moose". He is a bay roan tobiano. His dam is a homozygous(for tobiano), and his sire is a solid buckskin roan.

tobiano4a.jpg

This is "Princess". She is a sorrel, homozygous(for tobiano) pinto. Both parents were sorrel pinto.

tobiano5a.jpg
tobiano5b.jpg

This is "Victor". He is a silver tobiano. His dam is a sorrel pinto, and his sire is a bay pinto.

tobiano6a.jpg
tobiano6b.jpg

This is "Jayleen". She is a blue roan tobiano pinto. Her dam is a black homozygous (for tobiano) pinto, and her sire is a solid buckskin roan.

tobiano7a.jpg
tobiano7b.jpg

This is "Sassy". She is a buckskin pinto. Her dam is a solid buckskin, and her sire is a grey(going white)pinto, but I do not know his birth color.

tobiano8a.jpg
tobiano8b.jpg

Nice horses....

Tobiano does not produce face white.

None.

So, if your horse has face white it may well have Tobiano but it also has another pattern.

And this thread was started to show Tobianos only, in order to educate.

The other thing that needs clearing up is that a horse being H/Z for Tobiano does not preclude it having other patterns as well, and I can already see a number that do have other patterns, even though they do not have face white.

The fact is you will be very hard pushed to find any horse, especially in Minis , that only has one pattern- in fact I would say the most likely contender so far is Becky's Melody as she is showing so little white that it is unlikely she has any other pattern- if she had had she probably would have expressed more white.

I am learning lots. The second picture in VernB's post...this horse has a star and snip, similiar to my horse. You said tobiano has solid face only. What does a little face white indicate?

Latest posts

Back