Color patterns - you just never know!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
Part of the fun of breeding miniature horses, is not knowing what colors or patterns you might get in the end result.

This one was a real surprise to me. I bred a very minimally marked splashed white mare (solid bay with just a star and snip) to a minimally marked bay tobiano stallion (streak of white through the mane, spot on top of the hip and white on four legs. No face white).

Neither sire nor dam have blue eyes.

Pictured here is the sire, Lucky Four Santa Fe So Impressive.

SantaFe2012.jpg

Here is the end result, Redrock Fabulous with her dam Redrock News Flash.

Fabby3_zpsc4919229.jpg

I was expecting a solid bay colt from this pair and instead, I get a loud bay splashed white/tobiano filly with one blue eye! You just never know what you might get when breeding pinto patterns!

Beautiful baby and it is so exciting to see what each cross produces each year....seems there is at least one big surprise each year!!

Yes, Rhondaalaska, this baby got tobiano from her sire and splashed white from her dam. She has mixed patterns. The blue eye is from her dam line. The dam's sire is a blue eyed, medicine hat splashed white/tobiano. Blue eyes in pintos most frequently come from the splashed white pattern.

Very nice foal- exactly what I would have expected, knowing how things can go!

I know what you mean. We just had a silver pinto colt with blue eyes on Monday. His sire is a solid silver smokey black and his dam is a black tovero with one crystal blue eye and one dark blue eye. This colt is a very loud pinto and I think he is going to keep his blue eyes.

Awe what a sweet baby! I love pinto patterns, my filly's dam was solid bay and the sire was a G/g tobiano. I ended up getting what I can assume to be the same as her sire. Born bay, turned gray lol. Now my APHA mare is a different story. Her sire was solid buckskin, her dam was sorrel tobiano but with kind of a weird pattern, no blue eyes on either. Oh look I have pictures!
default_whistling.gif
default_biggrin.png
Ended up with a bay tobiano with a blue eye.

Her dam, and baby Dixie
default_smile.png

Bella028.jpg

Dixie's Sire

menhow061.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back