what is this

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are also the people who are at risk of buying a WCMHR only horse and thinking they really got a registered mini
default_no.gif
Absolutely!

The world class gold seal thing is sad, sad, sad.

I am not far from a very well known, very poor quality horse auction, that is essentially a dumping ground. I dislike these types of venues with a passion, and regardless of my extreme distaste for them, I still get "locals" that have heard these terms and have been spoon fed poor information, so for some of us, certain catch phrases tend to rub us the wrong way. Never once was it my intention to single out a particular farm, to me it was a discussion on the phrase "micro Mini". If someone chooses to call their mini a lawn mower with fur, that is their perogitive. I think an inquisitive topic that started off with a little ribbing took a very wrong turn.

If I offended anyone by laughing and responding to Parms original straight shootin approach, coming out with the guns blazin, forgive me,I am sorry. I found it humorous, I am a light hearted person who always tries to go through life with a"my glass is half full" approach . I love ya Parmela, you are top notch in my book, esp. with the approach you took with Corona, you will always have my respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just that, A marketing ploy. I used to raise Yorkies. My male was 1 3/4lbs. I never called him a micro or a tea cup. I guess I could have. He was a proven "Size Reducer" Not one of his puppies were ever as large as their moms. However, I had a friend that sold ALL of her puppies, in the 1980's for $1200 -$1600 per puppy. She used colorful advertising. I sold my puppies of the exact same bloodlines for $600. I just advertised my puppies as Yorkies. Why? Because to me that is what they were. These minis, Good, Bad or Indifferent are just that, Minis. I would not buy one because I like my minis to look like "big horse foals" when they are born. This little guy that is advertised looks like a little stuffed animal. Not my style of mini. Some one else might like this style. Thar is why all minis do not look alike.

I have seen the term used off and on for very small Minis over the years.... never took it as a gimmick or a derogitory term... just that the Minis were probably really tiny.

I like my Minis bigger, but I know some like the teeny ones and there is nothing wrong with that.

I dont see the term 'micro mini' any more ridiculous than calling a Mini an 'Arabian in duplicate' or a Miniature Arabian, and all the other terms that are put on them.....

This is just that, A marketing ploy.
As is the term "Miniature Horse".

I don't personally use the term for my descriptions, but have no objections to it. I do not personally know the person who posted the ad, and they are a very long way away from me, but I think there is a good chance that the poster may be a member of this board. I feel many have been very disrespectful to poster by making fun of their wording and running down the quality of their horses when they haven't even looked at them. Some people's attitude seems to be "they're tiny so they can't be any good." You complain when big horse people have that attitude. "Do unto others . . . ."

As is the term "Miniature Horse".
Legitimized in large part by how they're actually registerd... American Miniature Horse Registery, American Miniature Horse Association.

I've not read every post here, but I didn't see anyone being disrespectful. Some people stated they don't care to own ultra tiny minis. There's not a thing wrong with having or stating that opinion. Anyone who's secure in what they are breeding and what their goals are should not be rattled if they're are not pursuing that "universal" cup of tea (which, of course, does not exist).

I have one!

Cowboy, 25 1/2", at his 5th birthday party and official measuring.

Cowboyparty.jpg

Or actually, If they are any horse under 30", I guess I have a bunch of them.
default_laugh.png

Buttons

10-04ButtonsHess.jpg

Giggles

7-10Giggles2.jpg

La La

7-08OoohLaLa2.jpg

Well, I guess almost all of my broodmares are under 30" I've got a whole HERD of 'micro minis'!
default_laugh.png

Whatever you want to call 'em, We got 'em!

Actually, when Frank and I bought our first mini....in '91 I think it was....we both felt that if we were buying a 'miniature' horse, we wanted SMALL horses! Now unfortunately in my opinion, our registries allow our judges to not follow our rules and standard of perfection in their judging. Our rules and standard speak of the smallest horse in a class having preference if it is a correct BALANCED horse. In today's show ring that doesn't happen often.

BUT HEY! We take our 'micro minis' out there and they win! Sometimes even competing with 34"ers! I'll tell you, it's so much fun to be the underdog and beat the bigs.
default_yes.gif

Charlotte

AAAWWWWW I just adore the teeny tinies.

Have a few myself but nothing a micro as Cowboy.

A gimmick, and it also probably means it's too little to be interesting to me. I want them "big" enough to do things other than just look at
default_biggrin.png
How small is too small? Is under 30" too small to do anything? I don't think so!

Too small for jumping? NO! Too small for obstacle? NO! Too small for Showmanship? NO! Too small for halter? NO! Too small for driving? NO!

My teeny-tiny, beautiful, and worth his weight in platinum micro-horse at 29.5" on a tall day:

5296194212_479ab6504a.jpg

And he jumps very well with a lot of style!

Too small to be a best friend? NO!

5130342587_0ceb83a17d.jpg

Whether tiny is your cup of tea or not, I do think it is completely false to state categorically that they are too small to "do" anything. Because clearly, that is not the case! I am betting the under 30" National Champion Driving Horse owners might take a bit of offense to that idea as well. Better to just say that the word Micro would cause you to look elsewhere because your preference is for the taller horse. Myself, I WOULD look at a micro-mini! What the heck! Bet it's darling!

Well, you know, to each her own. I know what I enjoy and it looks like you do as well
default_smile.png

Legitimized in large part by how they're actually registerd... American Miniature Horse Registery, American Miniature Horse Association.

I'll give you credit there, but it did indeed start as a ploy to gain attention. Who knows, maybe one day there will be an American Micro Mini Horse Association.

I've not read every post here, but I didn't see anyone being disrespectful. Maybe you should go back and read them. I consider calling someone's horses, or their description in an ad as "crap" to be disrespectful. It may have come across harsher than it was intended, or maybe not. Some people stated they don't care to own ultra tiny minis. There's not a thing wrong with having or stating that opinion. I doubt you (generally speaking) would feel that way If people were to come on here and refer to over (34+) horses as being "crap". Anyone who's secure in what they are breeding and what their goals are should not be rattled if they're are not pursuing that "universal" cup of tea (which, of course, does not exist). I really don't have a dog in this fight. As I stated before, it is not my ad, not my choice of words, not my breeding program. I'm just trying to speak up for someone I feel has been wronged here.

Songcatcher said:
I doubt you (generally speaking) would feel that way If people were to come on here and refer to over (34+) horses as being "crap".
Well, for me (specifically speaking), I couldn't care less. All of my horses are A size, except for two B size geldings who I enjoy so much that it really wouldn't bother me if someone else had no use for them because they're over 34" and only AMHR registered -- they're for my own personal use. I enjoy and love those two guys
default_biggrin.png

When I saw the ad yesterday on the sales board I have never heard the minis called micro minis. These people live about 2hours way from me. I did not mean for this to turn into a fighting match. Yes I like mine on the tall side not saying that a SMALL one can not do the samethings as the bigger ones do. I feel that some of you all have gotten off the topic.

Please stay on topic here. Thanks to you all that reply to my question and trust me we have been into the minis for over 15 years just never heard someone say micro minis before.

This is a very interesting conversation. I'm very new to minis and have about a jillion questions, mostly springing from involvement with breeding other animals over the years. This discussion has really got my brain spinning. While I notice there are some strong emotions for some people, I think this has been a really good talk about different perspectives on something we all love, the miniature horse.

I am learning a lot from you all! (and it's good!)

Thanks!

When I see the term "micro mini" I think marketing ploy. No different than the term "teacup" when folks market/sell toy breed of dogs.

Which by the way NOT a single toy breed in the AKC has "teacup" written anywhere in their standard. Reputable breeder frown on using the term "teacup".

Yes small size is desirable but should not be the ONLY thing a person breeds for.

LOL, yes they are registered as Miniature Horses, because someone MADE UP that term to call them... when in fact they were actually mostly very small Shetlands or some type of pony!! So what were they before someone decided to make up a registry and call them that? Where did the term Quarter Horse come from? Or Thoroughbred? Someone made it up.... everything is 'made up' when you think about it- all it is is a descriptive term of something.

Well said Freeland and I think this post has gone way off, and I agree that not very nice things have been said in reference to people's horses that others know nothing about. I certainly wouldn't say that just because someone used the term 'micro mini' or that anyone's horses are under 30" that it means they are worthless. Obviously some folks like them or they wouldnt be here. Why do these simple questions sometimes turn into a rotten vegetable throwing contest? (Ducking and running, here comes a flung tomato)

Oh my, my, my. Let us reflect and rejoice that no matter what you choose to call them, its your choice. I think this would be a wonderful time for all to gather round and join hands and sing Kumbaya.
default_biggrin.png

Kumbayah my Lord, Kumbayah........ Do I have the words right Marty?
default_smile.png

Charlotte

oh, p.s. thanks Chandab. that's TCM Friday Giggles from T/C Mini Famly Farm...an appy breeder who had a PINTO! and I got her. hehe

they are registered as Miniature Horses, because someone MADE UP that term to call them... when in fact they were actually mostly very small Shetlands or some type of pony!! So what were they before someone decided to make up a registry and call them that? Where did the term Quarter Horse come from? Or Thoroughbred? Someone made it up.... everything is 'made up' when you think about it- all it is is a descriptive term of something.
I agree 100% and even though some breeders have used "a name" to mis-represent animals, it has always happened and will continue. As for Miniature horse breeders we just have to hope that newbie's will also come to this site here and ask their questions, so they can be guided the best way..that's all any of us can do
default_yes.gif

Here are 2 more additional sites I found which breed and adverstise micro mini's. I personally know the folks in Washington and they would never sell any mini to anyone through mis-representation! They both seem too have nice looking miniatures.

Interesting thread!

Jenny

Arden Acres

Lil Bit Of Heaven

Yes of course -- really, someone made up everything we call everything!
default_yes.gif
default_smile.png
default_yes.gif

Some things are just a little more dubious than others
default_biggrin.png
default_rolleyes.gif
default_laugh.png

I have not read this entire thread but have heard Micro mini used alot over the years.

To me it is not any different then saying something to catch attention like "National Potential -could be a kids horse- bombproof- those are all descriptive words that sometimes are accurate and sometimes not depending on not just who is writing the ad but who is viewing the ad.

As someone who has been in the industry for many years to me it simply means a tiny mini that will for sure mature under 30 inches .

Just do not see it as harmful or helpful - rather just describing a smaller sizes mini in a way meant to draw attention as most ads try to do

Back