What clippers do you use??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura&HerMinis

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting some clippers, as I have two mares due this spring and would like to probably clip the foals. I've never clipped before, and would eventually show as well so need to learn how to clip. Let me know what you love using!!

I had a wahl iron horse which I loved. They were very old and half dead so I upgraded to the andis excel 5 speed, which are junk. They get very hot, and they died in about a year. Now I'm going to be shopping for clippers again.

When grooming dogs fulltime I had an Andis super 2-speed on a clipper vac and found that to be a great system. I started out with Oster and feel that machine is more of a workhorse. The body is larger, the machine is louder, but I found it was consistently more power and more resilient than the Andis. I also have a Wahl Bravura for the fine detail areas like muzzles, ears and eyes. My horse body clipper are an ancient set of gold-bodied sunbeam livestock clippers. They are LOUD and vibrate a lot but they get through coat like nothing and the blades are fairly easy to come by. Servicing and cleaning it is straightforward as well.

I bought a set of Oster Clipmasters off eBay for dirty spring clips, they can really get through the woolie winter hair; then, also have a pair of Wahl KM-2 clippers for clean-up and more detailed clipping. I don't do that much clipping, since I don't show; just dirty spring clips sometimes if the weather warms up faster than they are shedding, so they are often left with clipper tracks.

I had a wahl iron horse which I loved. They were very old and half dead so I upgraded to the andis excel 5 speed, which are junk. They get very hot, and they died in about a year. Now I'm going to be shopping for clippers again.
Oh man! I hope you find something good again, and if you do, let me know!

My sharpening guy said the new Andis are junk. I have an older Andis and it works great. So, moral of the story is: don't buy a new Andis.
Yeah I’ve heard the Andis are good, so how new are the bad ones? Could I get one from say 2020 and it be okay?

When grooming dogs fulltime I had an Andis super 2-speed on a clipper vac and found that to be a great system. I started out with Oster and feel that machine is more of a workhorse. The body is larger, the machine is louder, but I found it was consistently more power and more resilient than the Andis. I also have a Wahl Bravura for the fine detail areas like muzzles, ears and eyes. My horse body clipper are an ancient set of gold-bodied sunbeam livestock clippers. They are LOUD and vibrate a lot but they get through coat like nothing and the blades are fairly easy to come by. Servicing and cleaning it is straightforward as well.
Gotcha! Thank you! I definitely need to learn how to clip for shows so I’ll be practicing that as well! I’ve heard good things about Oster and Andis, but not the new Andis. So I’ll see what I can find, thank you again!

I bought a set of Oster Clipmasters off eBay for dirty spring clips, they can really get through the woolie winter hair; then, also have a pair of Wahl KM-2 clippers for clean-up and more detailed clipping. I don't do that much clipping, since I don't show; just dirty spring clips sometimes if the weather warms up faster than they are shedding, so they are often left with clipper tracks.
Oooh okay, that’s kind of what I was thinking first is just for the spring clips first. I will need to get something for the detailed stuff as well but figured start with one since I won’t be showing my own horses till at least next year!

My go to are my Double K cable drive clippers for spring knockdowns and body clipping. Ears I have a $30 pair of vibration clippers...I "think" they're Oster, but would have to look next trip into the tack room. The Double K are a bit pricey, but if you take care of them they'll last a long time.

My go to are my Double K cable drive clippers for spring knockdowns and body clipping. Ears I have a $30 pair of vibration clippers...I "think" they're Oster, but would have to look next trip into the tack room. The Double K are a bit pricey, but if you take care of them they'll last a long time.
Good to know! Thank you!

I have, like StandardsEquine, an old Sunbeam heavy duty livestock clipper and they are still going strong. They are heavy and a bit noisy but quick and cut beautifully.

My handheld Oster clipper from the late 90’s work very well for clipping after the winter coat is off.

Oooh okay, that’s kind of what I was thinking first is just for the spring clips first. I will need to get something for the detailed stuff as well but figured start with one since I won’t be showing my own horses till at least next year!
The Clipmasters are big, noisy and a bit clumsy, but they really work for that first spring clip, when you might be clipping dirty. Pretty sure they are the same thing as the Sunbeam heavy duty livestock clippers; as I think the companies may have merged at one time; so you may find them under Oster Stewart Clipmaster or just Clipmaster. They are almost too big for my smallest mini, but he gets so wooly, that they are helpful for his body and neck, just too much for his little legs.
Just did a quick eBay search for Clipmaster clippers, got a lot of hits, picked one to show you what they look like: Stewart Oster Clipmaster 510A Head Clippers Shears For Livestock Horse Sheep Cow | eBay
My husband had a set for clipping cows, and I didn't want to have to share, as the horses won't dull the blades as fast as the cows, so found my own set on eBay. Used them quite a bit when I first got them, but haven't needed them as much more recently. Probably need a new set of blades or a least the old set sharpened.

My sharpening guy said the new Andis are junk. I have an older Andis and it works great. So, moral of the story is: don't buy a new Andis.
Same here. My old Andis are still going fairly strong but I'm looking for a new brand that is not Andis as the people I've recommended them to in the past year or two have found them nearly useless.

Yeah I’ve heard the Andis are good, so how new are the bad ones? Could I get one from say 2020 and it be okay?
My Andis are from 2020 and still going even though I haven't even done any maintenance to them. Would love to find another set like them as they are great. Just starting to slow down so they might finally need some maintenance!
I just had someone recommend the Lister Star clippers, especially for the first clip of the year. I haven't tried them yet but they sound good.

Latest posts

Back