what is this

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"To me it is not any different then saying something to catch attention like "National Potential -could be a kids horse- bombproof- those are all descriptive words that sometimes are accurate and sometimes not depending on not just who is writing the ad but who is viewing the ad."

default_aktion033.gif
I see that phrase a lot on the sales board... "National or World Potential" Just because the sire, dam, or siblings where, dose not mean the said horse is good enough. Not every horse can be a show horse, even if it comes from a background of them.

In reading this thread, I find that while some terms seem to rub people the wrong way, they don't others. That is how the world works. Neither party is wrong in how they take how a word is used. It wasn't that long ago this same thread was happening but the catch phrase then was "Only AMHR" that one seemed to ruffle feathers too with some but not with others. It is also just a term to describe a horse, just like Micro.

I don't think anyone should pass judgement on how someone writes up an ad. Its all just words.

Last edited by a moderator:
default_aktion033.gif
I see that phrase a lot on the sales board... "National or World Potential" Just because the sire, dam, or siblings where, dose not mean the said horse is good enough. Not every horse can be a show horse, even if it comes from a background of them.
For my money and my attention, those kind of statements may or may not carry weight. It just depends on who says it and, of course, what I myself think I see in the animal. I've seen ads for "National Champion Potential" horses and thought "yeah, maybe in costume class!". Just like with anything else in life, consider the source and learn enough to make your own good judgements.

Charlotte, here is the problem as I see it. You do indeed have tiny, under 30 horses as do I. I've never heard you describe one for sale as a micro mini. And I'm willing to bet I know why. Because you, like me, have never seen one described as such that wasn't a) either a dwarf or b) a conformational trainwreck. You have QUALITY horses.

The reason it drives me crazy? It's just another thing that gives mini breeders a bad name. IN MY OPINION,which the last time I checked I am entitled to, it panders to those who don't know any better and think they are getting something special when in fact it would be an embarrassment for 9 out of 10 reputable breeders.

You will never hear me call Raven or Poopy or Bink or Pete or ANY horse of mine a micro mini. And I'm willing to bet Charlotte won't be either any time soon.

In case it wasn't obvious, I have strong feelings about this.

default_thumbup.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I think, on reflection (no pun intended) that the reaction to the usage of this word, which I have used in the past and will do so again in the future, seems to depend a lot on who is using it and, to some extent, to what ends.

I have not seen the ad that sparked the origins of this thread, but I do think that the response has been a little extreme, and this reflects on the person making the remarks, remember, not on the person making the original claim......

It is a word.

That is all.

I happen to think that, used sensibly, it could be a useful description. As has been said by a colleague, this is an actual class in Mini shows over here, and I have two colts I shall be entering in the "Micro" classes this summer.

Does this mean I am promoting badly conformed, dwarfy creatures for profit?

Well, since it is at a prominent show I highly doubt it!

I think it is great fun to have a class where all the animals are under 30"- you have to understand that over here we are not divided by height, under normal conditions we are divided by age alone, so my two "microdot" colts, both under 27", are going to be up against animals up to 32" at the withers- this is some height difference!

So, chill, people, what's in a name anyway?

A mini by any other name would still be small......

Well Holy Moly folks. I saw the ad and really didn't think a whole lot about it (beings I like the itsy bitsy teeny weeny little guys)
default_wub.png
I have heard of Micro before just the same as I have heard of Arabian type with the dishy head (the Arabian horsey people laugh at us on that too) so I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder as well as wording and no need to get our halter in a knot over it!
default_wacko.png
Life is to short (s'cuse the pun) & so are my Ponys or horses or whatever you care to call them!
default_new_rofl.gif

I think it's a cute way to describe the smallest of the small
default_wub.png
More power to 'em

Joy

I have one too Charlotte!

Huffmans Classic Little Dude 26"
default_wub.png

regionals005.jpg

Latest posts

Back