What do you think of WCMHR?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&H Miniatures

Reaction score
I am new with miniature horses and was thinking of registering a mare I have with them because the lady that raised her never kept any papers up or anything so she is a grade mare, but is so very gorgeous and nice. I have learned recently through the photo forum that a lot of people have been ripped off by WCMHR. Is this true? Let me know your experiences? What you think of this registry? Where else could she be registered? Who still hardships? and such. I want to learn all that I can. I love these little guys and want my daughter to grow up showing them and such. She is horse crazy. Thanks and Godbless.

Well, I tried to register "Graham's The Big Picture" with them (he is registered ASPC, AMHR and PtHA) and they took my $15 and I never got papers. So therefore I can not recommend this "registry" AT ALL.
default_no.gif

I was very disappointed and wished I hadn't bothered. Then I find out LOTS of other people have made my mistake.

I contacted them, the first e-mail they sent back said they were processing it still, and then they stopped e-mailing me altogether and I never heard from them again. Nor did I ever get a refund.

It's just a piece of paper, anyway... there are no shows nearby and it does not raise the value of a miniature horse one dollar. The horse is considered, by most educated miniature horse owners/breeders/showmen, to be grade. Only AMHA and AMHR papers hold any value in this industry...

Andrea

Edited to add:

A "grade" horse is NOT a "worthless" horse by the way! It has plenty of value to the family that owns it. But for any showing or breeding purposes I always suggest buying a horse registered with the "main" registry of choice. There are affordable registered animals to be found for this purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I tried to register "Graham's The Big Picture" with them (he is registered ASPC, AMHR and PtHA) and they took my $15 and I never got papers. So therefore I can not recommend this "registry" AT ALL.
default_no.gif

I was very disappointed and wished I hadn't bothered. Then I find out LOTS of other people have made my mistake.

I contacted them, the first e-mail they sent back said they were processing it still, and then they stopped e-mailing me altogether and I never heard from them again. Nor did I ever get a refund.

It's just a piece of paper, anyway... there are no shows nearby and it does not raise the value of a miniature horse one dollar. The horse is considered, by most educated miniature horse owners/breeders/showmen, to be grade. Only AMHA and AMHR papers hold any value in this industry...

Andrea

Edited to add:

A "grade" horse is NOT a "worthless" horse by the way! It has plenty of value to the family that owns it. But for any showing or breeding purposes I always suggest buying a horse registered with the "main" registry of choice. There are affordable registered animals to be found for this purpose.
She is not worthless to me at all. I hope to raise some wonderful pet quality animals out of her and be able to price them where people can afford them. I have recently purchased 2 beautiful show quality miniature studs. They are both 4. I bought the miniature horses I have now from a lady that hasn't kept papers up on them, and the three mares I bought were supposed to be bred. Well, I have only had one baby so far. Millie, and she is the greatest. My daughter and her are the bestest of friends. I am selling one of the other mares that came in because the stud I currently have is too small for her and the ones I have purchased are smaller than him. She will make a great kids horse. I will probably also sell the mother of my Millie when Millie can be weaned. Now that I am learning more, I want to purchase some really nice registered miniature horses and raise some show quality horses for my daughter and I to show as well as sell. I am retaining this one mare though because she is just exceptional and has color to boot. She is a pinto. She has sorrell in her main and tail. Also, 2 gorgeous blue eyes. She is very good natured and 36" so I would love to see her pull a cart some day. I have grown very attached to her in just the past couple of weeks. She is 3. Thanks and please more comments and opinions. Kristy

Kristy --

I think WCMHR papers are completely worthless (note: that doesn't mean I think a horse with them is worthless). A horse with only WCMHR papers in my book is an unregistered or grade horse.

Their customer service is extremely poor with people paying for registrations they have never received. In the past when this issue's come up, people defend the supposed "registry" telling us it's just run by one person. So what? One person who is running a BUSINESS (it is not run by a board of directors but just one person who decided to start up something as a business). She's got no problem making it to the bank to cash checks... What's the right term for someone who takes your money and gives you nothing in return?

At one point, all my horses had WCMHR papers along with their "real" AMHR/AMHA papers. This is because I used to do their show, never because I thought it added value to a horse. However, I have washed my hands of them and threw away every WCMHR I had in my registry book.

Jill

Well this answer is going to be different than all the rest...

I have NEVER EVER had a problem with WC. I have registered one horse temparary and a few perpanants. When I registered my foal with them, his papers got back quicker than his AMHA papers. I mainly wanted to show at WCMHR shows, and that is why I delt with them.

Would I breed 2 WC horses? NO! But it sure doesnt make them a grade.
default_no.gif

I have registered and shown horses with WCMHR. I have been happy with the registry. It is very family oriented and a lot of good people show at their annual show. I don't think it adds any value to the horse or gives them a better life. Their annual show is usually held in North Carolina, used to be in Virginia. Check to see if any shows are in your area and what horses can be shown at them. Sometimes fairs have horse show...

Please reconsider breeding a grade mare. The market for mini's used to be good, it is not anymore. Auctions from coast to coast are getting very low prices for all horses and good homes are hard to find for any grade horse. Remember that these horses live up to 30 years and that most people buying mini's end up breeding them. There are already too many mini's, registered and grade, out there than there are good loving homes for them.

Both AMHA and AMHR are closed to hardshipping grade horses. Since you are attached to her, I would keep her as a pet and wait and see if hardshipping to AMHR opens up again. I would not breed her but train her to cart and enjoy her. Since you want to show, I would suggest buying a AMHR or AMHA horse .... depending on the shows in your area. I would not suggest breeding a grade horse .... not all show horses bred to show horses create show horses .... and there is just too much heartbreak involved in breeding minis. If you seriously must breed horses, look into the current market and learn about registered horses and the registries and what all is involved before taking that step to breeding.

Would I breed 2 WC horses? NO! But it sure doesnt make them a grade.
default_no.gif
Why doesn't it? If the papers make them "really registered" (in the eyes of others), then why not breed WMCHR only horses? Maybe because they are only "not grade" in the eyes of a couple people! The papers add no value whatsoever to a horse. I can't imagine anyone who's been into minis for a length of time feeling otherwise. My definition of "grade" is for horses w/o meaningful registration papers.

I feel very sorry for the people new to minis who are tricked into thinking WCMHR or Gold Seal minis are actually registered. They see the reality when they can't get more than a couple hundred dollars for the foals, or when they cannot show at a show of any caliber (even many non registry shows will NOT accept WCMHR papers these days).

My opinion is that keeping quiet about the reality of WCMHR sets others up for some real disappointment.

default_no.gif

I have not had a problem with WC either and have really enjoyed their shows in the past. With all of the problems that SO many people have had with sending in money and then not getting their papers, I don't think I would try it again though.

As far as breeding unregistered "pet quality" minis, I just want to point out that it costs the same thing to breed conformationaly correct registered minis and both can be found in mass quantities at dirt cheap prices. Recent sales and ads are selling colts (some of them double registered VERY nice colts) for a couple hundred bucks each and mares for not much more. Double registered mares with foals at side and bred back are going for $500 these days unless the bloodlines and quality are top notch. I sure can't afford to raise average quality animals for less than the medical care it takes to properly maintain the pregnant mare and then have snap tests and vaccinations on the babies, much less with gelding colts. I guess that is why I am not a breeder--I can get a nice, show quality, well-bred, registered horse at a reasonable price any day of the week. I can have the same pocket-pet out of a $50 auction pony as I can a $500 double registered decent quality one or even a $1000 show quality one.

Everyone has the right to do what they want to do with their own stock, but I wanted to point out the other side of this. "Pet" quality can be found out of a national champion or at the auction house headed to slaughter and everywhere inbetween.

I have a gelding registered with WCMHR. I registered him online and within a month had his papers. I would have registered him AMHR as he is a B size but they had closed their books. Kind of wish they would keep it open to hardship geldings in since they are not breeding stock and their are alot of nice grade pony geldings out there and it may make people geld more grade stallions.

I don't usually say anything, but I'm going to step in....

I used to show at the WCMHR show for years. I loved them. We won many nice awards with really good competition. (I've also, showed A and R).

Fast forward to when I bought my gelding Cole.... he came with his A and R papers and his prior owners had been waiting over a year for his WCMHR papers. They showed him at their show when he was a weanling so he had to be registered at that time. The prior owners contacted them over and over. FINALLY.... a year later they were able to get them to me. I sent them to be transferred into my name and it took a long time to get them back. I had to e-mail and call over and over. BUT, now he's still listed as a stallion. Just for kicks I've been thinking about sending his papers in to have them corrected and make note of how long it takes.

I know you mentioned breeding and you didn't ask for comments on breeding.... but..... I just wanted to say... I no longer breed. I do love the foals, but have found it better for me to find foals to buy. The other reason is the concern for the mare. I just found it too difficult to even consider breeding the few I had here with how much I care about them as members of our family. Yes, you could get a healthy foal, but there are times when the foal and/or the mare is lost and I just don't want to put them through that. If something happened because "I" wanted a foal I would be devastated. With so many wonderful foals out there I just don't feel like taking the chance. This is just my opinion. Not everyone will agree.

Kim

I have registered and shown horses with WCMHR. I have been happy with the registry. It is very family oriented and a lot of good people show at their annual show. I don't think it adds any value to the horse or gives them a better life. Their annual show is usually held in North Carolina, used to be in Virginia. Check to see if any shows are in your area and what horses can be shown at them. Sometimes fairs have horse show...

Please reconsider breeding a grade mare. The market for mini's used to be good, it is not anymore. Auctions from coast to coast are getting very low prices for all horses and good homes are hard to find for any grade horse. Remember that these horses live up to 30 years and that most people buying mini's end up breeding them. There are already too many mini's, registered and grade, out there than there are good loving homes for them.

Both AMHA and AMHR are closed to hardshipping grade horses. Since you are attached to her, I would keep her as a pet and wait and see if hardshipping to AMHR opens up again. I would not breed her but train her to cart and enjoy her. Since you want to show, I would suggest buying a AMHR or AMHA horse .... depending on the shows in your area. I would not suggest breeding a grade horse .... not all show horses bred to show horses create show horses .... and there is just too much heartbreak involved in breeding minis. If you seriously must breed horses, look into the current market and learn about registered horses and the registries and what all is involved before taking that step to breeding.
I am new at miniature horses. I have three so called grade mares. They come from registered stock, but papers have not been kept up on them. I know more now than I did when I purchased these. I will be selling two of the mares. One I have listed already. The other has a filly by her side which has become best friends with my daughter. The dam will be sold to a good home only when she has weaned Millie. I mentioned above that I am retaining this mare because she is exceptional. She was never registered and is "grade" but is one beautiful horse. She is in the photo gallery forum on here under pictures of mare for WCMHR. I have recently purchased 2 show quality miniature studs and plan on showing them next season after they lose a little bit of weight. They are no overly fat, but not in show condition. One of them has been shown as a weanling. They are both 4 and come from some of the best lines, such as buckeroo, rowdy, gold melody boy and many others. I am going to be looking for some show quality mares to purchase and possibly show. I may buy them as weanlings and wean them with My Millie. (well my daughter's Millie). There are not that many miniatures close to here that I know of. I didn't even know anything about these wonderful guys until last year when I started researching a little. I love them. Anything I raise or sell will have to go to wonderful homes. I would not want anything else. These were wormy when I got them home and the lady never gave any shots. I will be ordering from jeffers this week. I will be able to give them their shots. What is the best ones from Jeffers to give? Also, I now have them on a regular farrier schedule which they were not before. Thanks and Godbless, Kristy

I don't usually get into these hot topics but I can tell you there is no money to be made on breeding and selling a couple horses. If you pay to raise a horse and care for it properly it only COSTS money. Breeding minis as we have all seen on this forum lately can cost a lot of money if something goes wrong.

If you breed your horse do it because you want to keep the offspring not because you want to sell them. Have your minis to have fun with and as pets and part of your family.

Maybe the big breeders make some money because they breed and sell high quality animals and also quite a few, but your not going to end up making any money off of breeding a horse or 2.

You have to realy love your animals and think of where they will be in 10 years before you make more.

default_rolleyes.gif
IT may mean nothing to us/you AMHR/AMHA breeders BUT some people would love to show a hors eunder 38" they ALREADY owned weather it was given t them or they bought them before finding out about registered minis. And even fairs require some type of regitration.. So world class allows them to compete and Ive seen alot of those "Grades" beat these top bred registered horses. I find this too frustrating ; I get so offended because I own a colt who is yes unregistered if it want for world class i wouldnt have shown him he was pretty much undefeated in 10 shows always more then 6 in his class. Reserve senior grand as a weanling. He beat ALOT of AMHR/AMHA horses and I had quite a few emails and people at shows offer to buy him. I do intend to hardship him AMHA/AMHR when hes 5 if his dam isnt first.

Cant we just accept some people need a registry like this?

I Feel bad for stating it but I just know peoples feelings are getting hurt those little guys..
default_sad.png

Cant we just accept some people need a registry like this?
Devon I sooo agree with you! I for one would love to see a new registry or one of the ones now allow those horses that are "grade" be registered or at least allow "grade" geldings to be registered!! I have a gorgeous (at least in our eyes and many others) buckskin unregistered stallion.. He was one of our first minis when we got into miniatures a few years ago, and yes, we did use him as a stud and he sired 4 beautiful and correct foals, with those exact same characteristics that we all look for in our registered horses, the only thing they lacked were papers..
default_sad.png
He, himself, was supposively registered AMHR at one time but I've never been able to track down papers for him, which is a shame..

101_2683.jpg

I've never registered a horse with the WCMHR. No need to around here since there are no shows. Same with PtHa. If there were shows around me, I would becuase I love to show. But I've heard great things and bad things about the WCMHR. But to me, if you're happy and can show them this way, then great!
default_biggrin.png

You may be able to track down these minis papers. May take work and a few months to do it, but it may be worth it. Why not try???
default_smile.png

As far as breeding, like many said, the market is just overflowing with minis. I have one mare bred a year and that's it. So many out there that the value of any mini horse is dropping.
default_no.gif

That buckskin stallion is gorgeous. He does not look like what I think a "grade" horse would look like. Some people can't help that papers have not been kept up. Also, I was not told the whole truth about these horses. They are in much better shape now. Worm free and will be receiving shots they have never had in their life this next week. Cherokee has stolen my heart especially lately. She is so good natured and so beautiful. She has 2 baby blue eyes and the color to boot. She is only 3. I wish the papers could be found, but I think it is a lost cause now. I will love her anyway. I would love for my daughter to show her in 4H or somewhere. I will probably look into the ISHR.

As I said before I am going to buy some registered show quality mares in the future. I am learning right now. I would love to purchase some mares to show and raise with my Millie. If I choose to breed them later than I will. I do not really want anymore "grade" mares now that I know I can find some registered mares and not have to work so hard at finding a registry. I am new and I am learning, but to me with Cherokee she would have some beautiful babies and pass on her good nature. I am a physical therapist assistant and currently work at a nursing home/outpatient center. If I could figure out insurance costs, etc I would love to take some of my horses to the nursing home and others. Horses in general are such a benefit, and I know miniatures are great as well. If I get this accomplished in the future then babies later on may not be sold. I may just choose to breed for this so that I know where they came from and know that I can fully trust any horses I use for this.

Wouldn't it be better to only breed one or two mares since there is a problem with too many miniatures. I would love to be able to make some money with it, but that is not really my priority with miniatures at the moment. I have always had a passion for horses, but never had any as a child. Before I got divorced my ex husband and I had 21 QH. I had a bad attorney and did not end up with one of them, even the one that had my name on his papers and was given to me as a present. Oh well. I am so much better now than I was with him. Anyway, I feel like I can really fulfill my love for horses with them and raise a handful of registered horses. I don't want to get big by any means. I am single and work a full time job. My horses will be taken care of and I know it costs!!! I have lived on a ranch my entire life and have been exposed to this very well with our cattle. It is hard losing the sweet little baby calves as well, but it is a part of life. I will do everything that I can to ensure that my horses have the best care available to them and any that I do sell goes to a good home.

As I said earlier I have purchased 2 buckeroo/rowdy/gold melody boy stallions to learn to show with. They are wonderful and only a whole 32 inches. Cherokee will have some very beautiful correct babies out of either one of them. I will probably gueld one of them when I see which has the better attitude around the mares. I would love to show both of them. One was shown as a yearling.

Here are some pictures of Cherokee for those that have not seen her in the photo forum. Thanks and Godbless.

l_c4d9f1d514bdb30168936ddaf0131f86.jpg

l_7fc06c3770247c01807e03bd05a5f361.jpg

Here is a picture of Cherokee and of another mare I have. Cherokee is the one on the Left.

l_e50bf4a68f9f3cd7f52bb5b1d681f3fa.jpg

And here is Camelot Country's Duke of Camelot (one of my boys I can't wait to bring home)

l_5900dc2842907d780fb8aa7ad4d60582.jpg

And Camelot Country Richochet Renogade (my other boy)

l_c614ec6643ccb009a42b0e8069dbaeb3.jpg

Cherokee is very pretty...

I didnt read through all the posts so may be repeating info but Pinto does allow hardshipping of minis -- I am not sure the cost but was thinking it was like $85 (cant remember for sure).... Anyways with her coloring if you have any pinto shows around your area I am sure that would be a good way to show her.

I really dont know about WCMHR -- I have e-mailed with them and they seemed to have good customer service with me but I have also heard alot of bad comments. Good Luck with whatever you do
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back