What do you take to get rid of your head ache fast?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacks'thunder

Reaction score
When the different fronts come through my head hurts so bad. It's weather related, that's for sure! I have dealt with this most of my life and I guess I was just wondering if any body else gets them. Spring and fall are the worst but our weather has been so up and down it's tearing my head up.

I was wondering what you all take that works! I have an arsenal and I just can't seem to get the right thing!

If you have any advice on how to get this head ache to stop it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I always take a combo of three advil and three tylonal at the first sign of a headache. It seems to work better then just taking one type at a time.

Aleve works for me (generic- naproxen). And the best part is that it lasts a lot longer than regular aspirin.

Lois

I get cluster headaches and take 3 extra strength tylenol and drink a bunch of coffee. Caffeine is used often for migraines and it really helps with my cluster headaches. I get them maybe once or twice a month and of course always while I'm at work.

When I get them, I do as Sara says, a combo of "Advil" and "Tylenol" (I usually have large bottles of the generic versions on hand). IF it is not past 4pm or so, I will also have a cup of coffee and a few crackers or something since all those meds and caffeine are hard on the stomach. I think that caffeine helps, but it's not worth it if it's too late. My eye doctor told me that the combo of Advil + Tylenol is a/k/a "the Poor Man's Morphine". I never had morphine, but I know that the two meds work VERY well together to relieve headaches and muscle pain.

Another thing that helps, not as much as the meds, but for lighter headaches or in addition to is just to massage the skin (web, I guess!) between your thumb and ring finger of one hand. If you do that for a couple of minutes, it really does help.

I get these in varying degrees too...weather related as well. I take Advil usually (Tylenol does nothing for me, and Aspirin can make my stomach upset). There is also a product (only available in the US) called Goody's. It works AMAZINGLY well....but I don't have an 'instant' source to get this since I live in Canada (and not super close to the border), so I use it sparingly! LOL

~kathryn

I get headachs everyday. (yep, everyday!)

I use Excedrian Migrains and a caffine pills.

Drink a Coke and eat a snickers if really bad.

Otherwise after 32 yrs of headachs, (Im almost 33) unfortanlly Im semi-used to them.

I just wish they would go away and never come back! Yeah-Right!

I eat between 4-12 pills per day. And yep, I have seen many Drs for it.

For some reason Bayer asprin works really fasy for me. And caffine.

Natural remedy for migraines is cheyenne peppers. Tear off little pieces and swallow them so they don't burn your mouth.

I get these in varying degrees too...weather related as well. I take Advil usually (Tylenol does nothing for me, and Aspirin can make my stomach upset). There is also a product (only available in the US) called Goody's. It works AMAZINGLY well....but I don't have an 'instant' source to get this since I live in Canada (and not super close to the border), so I use it sparingly! LOL

~kathryn
Goody's is aspirin and acetaminophen (sp? generic for Tylenol) and I believe a bit of caffeine as well, it's a powdered version of Excedrin if I'm not mistaken.

I'd be careful doubling up as that can put stress on liver and kidney's, Also be very aware that other products, like Goody's contain the same drugs and will add to your dosage of one drug class. So just a word of caution
default_smile.png

For myself, advil and a coke will stop most headaches in their tracks for me. Outside of migraines, the reason for the caffeine is because it helps speed up the absorption of the advil, pretty much any caffeine with any med will do that :D there are some counter indications with some meds but I believe with Asprin, Advil and Tylenol it works :D Also, with 'weather related' headaches, it may be allergy related. When the wind blows it kicks up all kinds of pollens and can carry them for miles so it may not bother you normally. If the wind blows from the south I know it! only Zyrtec helps me with that.

It's been many years ago, but the one time I took Excedrin, it made me feel really sick to my stomach. I guess at that point, a headache wasn't my primary source of woe!
default_biggrin.png
I don't know what it was, as I am used to having caffeine, but those couple pills really made me feel bad.

I get headachs everyday. (yep, everyday!)

I use Excedrian Migrains and a caffine pills.

Drink a Coke and eat a snickers if really bad.

Otherwise after 32 yrs of headachs, (Im almost 33) unfortanlly Im semi-used to them.

I just wish they would go away and never come back! Yeah-Right!

I eat between 4-12 pills per day. And yep, I have seen many Drs for it.
Pretty sure coke and chocolate aren't going to help get rid of your headaches :/

Coke & snickers works if my suger is low.

I get 2 types of migrains/headachs... low suger, and some other kind due to "baby shake" syndrome.

Not much of a coffie fan however like french vanilla capachinos! mmmm!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the advice! A few things I have not tried so I'll for sure give them a go! Thanks again!

Migraines all my life, aspirin and excedrin kill my stomach (excedrin has caffeine and aspirin in it). I finally found something that reduces the frequency and severity tremendously! It's an electro current machine, no side effects, you can use it for prevention and treatment. Its available by prescription only in the US (can be bought overseas). When I feel one coming on at night, I take one aleve and hook up the machine for 30 min. And most likely I will wake up the next morning with a clear head. If I wake up with a killer migraine I take 2 aleve, hook up the machine for an hour while testing with an ice pack. Usually helps me get rid of it in a couple of hours but at the very least I can FUNCTION and am not disabled for an entire day. It used to take me 24-48 hours to feel better!

It's called "Alpha stim 100" and it's been a lifesaver for me!

Oh and they also have electro current machines for animals - helps for various other things too!
default_smile.png

I take Excedrin...and if really bad, lay down with a cool cloth on my forehead AND the back of my neck. It helps the bloodflow to your head. ;)

Just an FYI...Extra Strength Excedrin and Excedrin Migraine are the SAME exact thing..only the Migraine one is more expensive! (Its a marketing thing)

This may seem like I am stating the obvious and perhaps you have already seen your doctor, but please, if you have not, please make an appt to see the doc.

I used to get a lot of sinus infections and the past few years was getting migraines (probably hormone related)...... the sinus infections were because I was allergic to almost everything, so have been doing allergy therapy for 6 or so years now, and taking allergy meds. The keep from getting migraines I take Verapamil, by prescription. Not only does it keep me from getting migraines (have not had one in over 2 years now).

I would caution about combining otc drugs, I was diagnosed with kidney disease last year and am not only able to take Tylenol for any pain related stuff........ ...I am not saying the pain relievers I used helped cause the kidney disease, because I am sure I never abused them, however, I now take a much safer ( and try non medicals stuff ) before popping a pill. If your head is clogged up you might consider a nettie pot, or Neil med makes a great sinus rinse kit.....your headaches could be allergen related and by flushing your sinuses a couple of times a day you may find you don't need the pills. Or you could be developing allergies...I did not have them up until about 10 years ago maybe?

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a downer, I just want people to be careful of what they put in their bodies......I am also not putting anyone down that does use the OTC pain killers......just wanted to give you another prospect to try. Oh and I am sure this go without saying, I am not a Doctor, these are just what I found helped me.
default_smile.png

Hugs to you, I know headaches suck and the last migraine I had I also had the flu and was dehydrated, so off to the ER I went......not an experience I will forget anytime soon, and that was like 5 years ago.

Back