What breed of dogs do you have and enjoy?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I LOVE the Pembroke Welsh Corgi's, Other than color what other differences are there between the Pembroke and the Cardigans?
There are a number of differences between Pembrokes and Cardigans. The most obvious being Cardigans have tails. Weight ranges for Cardigans are: female 24-35 lbs male 30-38 lbs. The structure between the 2 breeds is quite different, and I believe (though I don't know for sure as I haven't studied the Pem standard) that the proportions for each breed are different. Cardigans tend to have larger ears than Pems and they are set differently on their head. I know that doesn't help too much in description, but if you see 2 side by side, the differences are quite noticeable. I also find Pems aren't quite as long as Cardigans, though maybe that is just because they are (or should be) smaller than Cardigans (though I've met many Pems who are bigger than my 34 lb female Cardigan).

Cardigans come in red, sable, brindle, blue merle, black and white (with brindle points) and tri (black with tan points).

Temperament wise, I honestly don't know if there is any difference between the two breeds. I've heard several people who own both breeds say they notice a difference between the 2, but I wonder if there is as much difference within each breed as there is between the 2 breeds. Cardigans are said to be more reserved--they think before they act, which some people confuse with being aloof or shy. Pembrokes (so I've been told) are said to be more in your face --acting before they think. Pems more 'serious' and Cardigans more goofy or clown-like. Not sure how true that is either....there are some people on here with both breeds, so maybe they can chime in!
default_yes.gif
I have met some nice Pems, and I have met some nasty Pems...but I've met the same with Cardigans too!

If you have other questions about them, please feel free to email me anytime! I love to talk about my cardis!
default_biggrin.png

I forgot to add....

Sterling, I remember when you got Lakota!!! Wow, has she ever turned into a beautiful dog!!!
default_wub.png

~kathryn

Last edited by a moderator:
Took the rescue Cocker into the groomers today and he's still there
rolleyes.gif

Some people have no business owning pets under all that hair is

Both ears look like a major yeast infection
new_shocked.gif

One eye infected
new_shocked.gif

Sores and growths inside his mouth and lips
new_shocked.gif

He was so hairy one could not see under all that hair just mops and mops of it.
sad.gif

Will post before and after pics when I go back and get him. Between the medical and neutering I'm guessing we'll have a few hundred dollars

before he's ready to adopt out.
wacko.gif
I'm sure that will make my husbands evening after I tell him

The groomer says he had a good mind on him and was quiet when she was doing his feet and that most Cockers she gets in

snap when she starts their feet.

I have a very nice old German Shepard and Lab mix possibly with some coon hound blood in her. Shes very gentle kind and quite and was a rescue, and I think she knows she was too.

Shes looks a bit less white in this picture as its a few years old now but overall she looks the same (I had accidentally woken her up from a nap when I took this so don't mind her demonic stare LOL)...

PICT0012.jpg

I love this topic and love seeing everyones pups!

This is my beloved Greyhound Skye. I adopted her as a 3 year old which means she was a really bad racing dog. She does not chase animals and she does not run away but she is afraid of everything.

100_3791.jpg

100_4096.jpg

Skye likes to dig holes, which I did not know about Greyhounds until owning one.

100_0399.jpg

Took the rescue Cocker into the groomers today and he's still there
rolleyes.gif

Some people have no business owning pets under all that hair is

Both ears look like a major yeast infection
new_shocked.gif

One eye infected
new_shocked.gif

Sores and growths inside his mouth and lips
new_shocked.gif

He was so hairy one could not see under all that hair just mops and mops of it.
sad.gif

Will post before and after pics when I go back and get him. Between the medical and neutering I'm guessing we'll have a few hundred dollars

before he's ready to adopt out.
wacko.gif
I'm sure that will make my husbands evening after I tell him

The groomer says he had a good mind on him and was quiet when she was doing his feet and that most Cockers she gets in

snap when she starts their feet.
I totally agree, some people should not be owning pets! I think it is sad when somebody buys a puppy for a senior citizen without thinking of the care involved and without thinking that maybe the person might just be too old to care for a dog properly.

I did an emergency foster on a tibetan spaniel last year. Owned by a senior waayyyyy too old to have a dog and when he had to go to the hospital and then a nursing home my Bonnie girl lived in an empty house for several months while neighbors let her out a couple of times a day. When I took her in she had a bad yeast infection in both ears, bladder stones, urinary infection, she wasn't housebroken, not spayed. She came into heat the second day she was at my house and following the heat she got a full blown false pregnancy where she nested, gathered and defended toys. She didn't like her ears touched or her feet. Less than a year later, she is housebroken, spayed, lets me groom her, clean her ears and trim her nails and she is the sweetest little girl you can ever imagine. She is a smart little dog and learns so fast. She is the apple of my eye and I can't remember what it was like not to have her here in our home. I am thankful every day that she came into our lives. She cost a mint to make her healthy and lots of time and training and somehow along the way she became the dog of my dreams.
default_wub.png

I have been owned by Pembrokes since 1980, lost my last one to degenerative myelopathy and we are currently losing his littermate to the same disease. He is completely immobile now, but still happy as a clam, great appetite, and we keep him comfortable and clean and dry. He will tell us when it is 'time'.

This is Frasier (CH Forfox Face The Music), who died way too soon. He was depressed as soon as he went down in the rear so I let him go.
Frasier0903.jpg

Tucker will make the THIRD Pembroke lost to DM.

Here is the love of my life, Lily (daughter of Anoki's Moxie) What an amazing dog, and yes the Cardis are different from Pems, I like them much better. Not as barky, shedding, super loyal, loves everybody, strong herding drive, and just a wonderful dog. It did take me a while to get used to the look and the tail. Eyes are smaller than Pems also. I am finally getting around to getting Lily registered with AKC (she is Canadian) so I can show her this year.

LilyHerding.jpg

LilyWinterStorm2.jpg

We have a rescue chihuahua, rescue lab mix, rescue golden, two Pembrokes, a mini aussie (need to find her a home where she can run more), and Lily.

Oh, and an Anatolian who lives down by the barn.

Toby.jpg
The orange streamers were tied on him during deer hunting season in the hopes he woulnd't be mistaken for a deer.

OK Mona! Sorry, I hadn't had pics of Roxy uploaded.

We decided we wanted a dog (ok I did!) And I researched and wanted an Anatolian.

I found this mostly Anatolian mixed girl at the Washington Co. SPCA in OK. I knew from her online pics that she was IT. When the door opened and she came running out and went straight to my hubby, that was that! She was for us! She was 6 mos old. Had been at the shelter for some time. Had been brought in by Animal Control, wandering the streets.

She never potties in the house and already fetched. She's a GREAT dog!

We'll have had her a year Jan 23rd!
default_wub.png

She's grown a ton and is now 25" at the shoulder.

Here's Roxy

website1019005.jpg

website1019004.jpg

REO are these before and after pics? Like when you got her and now?

OMG she doesn't even look like the same dog!!!

I have a poodle and yorkie

005-1.jpg

A Great Pyrenees mix

001.jpg

and 4 Japanese Chins. 6 if you count the puppies

90.jpg

035.jpg

I don't have pics of Buddy the dad of the puppies or my other female.

Love seeing everyone's dogs! So adorable!

I currently own 3 little "ankle biters" that I adore
default_wub.png

Whitney is an 11yr Miniature Pincher (rescue)

nzoykh.jpg

"Emma" 6 yr Miniature Pincher (Rescue) and daughter of Whitney

2n9hu7r.jpg

and last but not least...Miss Foxy Lady aka: "Foxy" (Rescue) She is a Chihuahua, Pomeranian, poodle, Yorki Cross. Don't ask haha
default_laugh.png

fxym1f.jpg

As much as i love these little guys...I miss the big dogs. My family used to breed Dobermans. Best dogs we ever owned. Here is a pic of our last doberman. We hope to get another one someday.

Jackson this was him at a year old...he was HUGE! Miss him tons. Had to give him up due to many reasons. He was a great dog though and has a wonderful home.

o35sy.jpg

I have a 2 yr old Toy Fox Terrier, Teo (pronounced Tay-oh). I found him, or he found me not long after I had to put down my previous Toy Fox Terrier, "Tucker" my bestest doggy friend ever. I love the TFT personalities, I knew after I lost Tucker I had to have another! And Teo was what I needed.
default_wub.png

Here is Teo at 8 months old (I need to update my website!):

Teo_cute_4-18-09-421x309.jpg

And here is Tucker, 13 years old, the summer before he passed.

IMG_1116-414x305.jpg

Nope, those pics were taken the same day! Taken last Fall helping "daddy" pull weeds. She was in her lanky teenage stage. Now she's gotten much heavier! She takes up most of the couch!
default_laugh.png

We just had her in and she and I shared a couple of apples. I have to cut them in small bites cuz Roxy is "dainty"! LOL

I love seeing all the great dogs!
default_aktion033.gif

I have the most beautiful pitt/lab mix female named Sasha. She's brendled like a pitt with the big snuggly lab body and personality.

Oh and loves the water too!
default_smile.png

Lady and my husband.

Lady is an abnormally small Min Pin being less than 10 inches at the shoulder and 3 1/2 to 4 lbs.

She came to us one night last year when a man had to have her GONE NOW.

My dear sweet husband drove 2 hours over the mountains in the evening to go get her for a total of a 4 hr trip. She had been through (counting us) 4 homes in 2 months. It also took us literally almost 2 months before we could pick her up without her snapping and growling at us. If no one thinks it's over kill I may post more of our other Min Pins another day. My ole 'Salty Dog' (old retired navy man) after serving our country 20 years is now serving homeless and unwanted Min Pins with his crazy wife.

I am so proud and honored to be his wife.

P9240026.jpg

Jewel came to us as a 7 month old puppy 2 months ago. She was born at a puppy mill in Kansas, sold to a puppy broker who then sold her to a pet shop in Richland, Wa who sold her to her first family who adopted her to her 2nd family who gave her to us her 3rd family. I have the total paper trail, it's shocking.

All this in 7 short months of life, She is now in her forever home with us.

P9240014.jpg

Chevysoccerball.jpg

This is one of my favorites of his baby photos.

2-23-09.jpg

Our German Shepherd, Chevy, is now 4 1/2 years old.

He's grown into a nice big boy and has kept his wonderful

gentle mind, that attracted us to him when he was a baby.

We keep thinking of getting him a sibling of some kind

but overall we think he likes being an only child.

He is 'indulged' not spoiled :)

He goes everywhere with me whether it's for a ride in the

car, to the barn or to take a shower.

(Ok did this the long way to insert the image of Chev.

It's not getting the code from Photobucket but the form here

on LB...it runs off the page and the insert prompt doesn't appear.

But I got around it by going to edit my post.)

Can't get the link for photos to minimize enough to

get the photo code from Photobucket so I can include his photo

but without any bias (right!) he's a handsome boy.

The ones above are photobucket ones

when you run your mouse over the pic and it drops down email, etc etc

click on the very last one then paste here, looking at my above ones it seems to automatically downsize them.

I wanna see your GSD, I just love GSD's

We own 3 dogs.

Riis is a CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) registered sable German Shepherd. We got her when she was six. She is a trained protection dog. She was trained in English and German but for some reason responds more readily to German
default_wacko.png
She just turned 12 and is enjoying her retirement on the farm
default_wub.png

DSCF0108.jpg

Callie is a 6 year old CKC registered Bernese Mountain Dog. She came to us very fearful (could not be let out without a leash on her or she would just blindly bolt to nowhere). Now she loves her daddy very much. She has had 4 beautiful litters of pups for us
default_wub.png

Callie-2.jpg

Katie is Callie's pup from her second litter. She is 3. She is full of energy. She's still a big pup. We're hoping to breed her this Spring for the first time, but I'll have to see if/when she matures mentally
default_wacko.png

This is Katie playing with one of Callie's pups from 2010

0143.jpg

This is a pic of Katie (on your left), Kevin, and Max (Katie's brother that people in town now own)

DSCF0019-4.jpg

We have 5 dogs... here is a picture of 4 of them - our Blue Heeler and then our 3 pomeranians.

The Blue Heeler is my husband's cattle dog and he makes an excellent watch dog and also helps with the horses when needed.

The pomeranian sitting on my husband's lap in the picture is most definetly an indoor dog - she only wants to be outside long enough to do her business and most days she thinks that is too long.. The other 2 would LOVE to be outside all the time (we say they are Large dogs trapped in a small dogs body)...

Dogs%20outside%206-19-08.jpg

And then my chocolate lab - this picture of him is from 2008 when he was just a pup so he is alot bigger now but don't have a current one handy at the moment. He is wonderful - great with everything on the farm and is also a good watchdog...

Diesel%20Cropped%2011-16-08.jpg

Sterling, I remember when you got Lakota!!! Wow, has she ever turned into a beautiful dog!!!
default_wub.png
~kathryn

Thank you Kathryn! And thank you and Bev for that little info on Corgis. Very informative info. I've always loved your little Corgis and actually my antennas went up when I first saw Moxie. She seemed like such a big dog in a little body ....I don't know if it's just me, but she seems to put her stamp on her puppies? They all have that "Moxie" look.

Latest posts

Back