Western Country Pleasure Question...?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoeboxstables

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was looking at some photos of diva driving, and that got me thinking- should we be in the western country pleasure division? Last year (her first driving) we showed in country pleasure fairly successfully. We did very well in the youth classes, but weren't super competitive in the open. Her movement isn't as far-reaching as I htink a good CP horse should be. However, I find it hard to look at photos of her and see her as a WCP horse. Her headset is still being developed, but I can't see having her hold it lower. Also, since it only was her first season driving, she's only just learning how to move out in the cart. So when she gets fit enough and figures that out, I'm afraid it will be too much for WCP- she isn't flat kneed enough. To me, (having never seen the class), I think of a WCP horse as somewhat of a western QH crossed with a hunter under saddle horse. Movement like a hunter, long, flat, and sweeping; but headset more like a western horse. Am I correct in that?
default_wacko.png
Because I don't think that's really her.
default_wacko.png

Here are some photos from various driving stages last year. I would love to hear your opinions on what I should do with her
default_yes.gif

Taken in *deep* arena sand:

divadrive.jpg

Moving out a bit more- in less sand, but only ~3 months into driving training: (note, she has no check on, and we are actually trotting up in a relay race, so she's reaching down a lot more than what she normally does)

diva5.jpg

The most flat-kneed photo of her I have:

diva3.jpg

Moving in the paddock:

diva.jpg

Ground driving:

diva4.jpg

To me, her movement is unlike any of the ideals for the divisions. Definatly not SP- that's obvious. But CP should reach far more, and she lacks impulsion. She's more of a pit-pat, up and down dainty toe dance. She's only just been figuring out how to propel herself- and I really don't have any more recent photos.

So what do you think???

Country Western Pleasure guidelines as of Spring 2007........

Western Country Pleasure Driving (Required at Nationals Only and will be considered Non-Rated at all other ASPC/AMHR Sanctioned Shows)

1.A Western Country Pleasure Driving horse should carry himself in a natural balanced position with a relaxed head and neck. His poll should be level with, or slightly above the level of the withers.

2.Maximum credit should be given to a horse with a relaxed head and neck, that carries his poll level with, or slightly above the withers, moves straight, with low strides and with little flexion of knees and hocks, with free movement, manners and a bright expression

3.The horse shall be severely penalized if he carries his more than 5 inches above the level of the withers, is behind the vertical, is overflexed, excessively nosed out, the poll is below the withers, exhibits excessive speed or shows lack of control by the exhibitor.

4.This class will be judged 60 percent on the horse’s performance, manners and way of going, and suitability for assuring a pleasurable drive, 30 percent on condition, fit and appropriateness of harness and vehicle, and 10 percent on neatness, appropriateness of attire and overall impression. Overchecks and side checks should be slightly loose, not snug. Excessive knee action and speed to be penalized.

5.The Western Country Pleasure Driving horse may not cross enter into the Country Pleasure, Pleasure Driving, or Park Harness.

GENERAL REGULATIONS

1.Western Country Pleasure driving is to be shown to a two-wheel cart only, Bike tires or wooden wheels are permissible.

2.Harness in the Western Country Pleasure driving division must be of the light type. Breastcollars or light collars are permissible, but no full harness are allowed. Britching is optional. Side or over checks are required. When shown, the horse must have blinders (round or square) and the check must be hooked. No other appliances may be used on a driving horse other than the harness. (Example no fly nets on the ears, face, or body).

3.Bits in the Western Country Pleasure driving division shall be of the snaffle type. No Liverpool bits, curb chains, or curb straps are allowed.

4.Martingales and check bits are optional

CLASS CONDITIONS

1.Horses shall enter the ring counterclockwise (to the right) at a Country Pleasure Trot. All horses are to be shown both ways of the arena at a Walk, Country Pleasure Trot and Extended Trot. All gaits to be performed in a smooth, relaxed, balanced manner. Consistently showing too far off the rail and excessive noisemaking by exhibitors during the class shall be penalized according to severity. Each horse shall be required to back readily and straight and stand quietly.

2.Walk: A free regular and forward moving four beat gait. The horse should walk freely and calmly, with an even determined gait.

3.Country Pleasure Trot: A balanced, easy going, relaxed two beat gait demonstrating forward movement with a flat knee and little hock flexion.

4.Extended Trot: A clear increase in gait and length of stride. The horse should move freely on a taut, but light rein, while maintaining a balanced gait and forward movement with low strides and little flexion of knees and hocks. Excessive knee action and speed to be severely penalized

5.Maximum credit should be given to a horse with a relaxed head and neck, that carries his poll level, or slightly above the withers, moves straight, with low strides and little flexion of knees and hocks, with free movement, manners and a bright expression

Here is my boy driving, he won a few world champion driving classes, in these photos- his head is a bit high,we found his harness had to be refitted for him to be able to lower his neck and this one was not allowing him to freely and comfortablely but the flat knee is really apparent.

beaudrivingnats2.jpg

pintoworld07drivinglgweb.jpg

here is the link to his you tube video of him driving a little.

as you can see, the judges want a stronger trot when they ask for the working trot, not a slow motion trot. they want them to move out like a hunt seat horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
She looks nice, but her head needs to be much lower. Level with her withers or slightly above.

I don't have my Nationals pixtures yet, so I can't post them here. Bummer.

Lucy

Back