Edelweiss Training Journal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your turnout was DIVINE!!! Congratulations on all the success! We're working towards an open driving show next year. There's loads of CDE around the province, but not much for open driving shows (reinsmanship, pleasure, etc...) I adore driving my donkey, but he's just not competitive in CDE, so trying an open show will give him a more "equal" opportunity.

When's your next show?!?!

You and Amigo looked wonderful! Not just beautifully turned out but cheerful and energized. 🤩

Congratulations on your awards! I know they aren’t necessary in order to say you had a successful competition, but they sure are fun! 😁

Enjoyed seeing your patterns, they helped me appreciate the challenge!

Thank you!

Congratulations!! How wonderful😍
Thank you!!
Your turnout was DIVINE!!! Congratulations on all the success! We're working towards an open driving show next year. There's loads of CDE around the province, but not much for open driving shows (reinsmanship, pleasure, etc...) I adore driving my donkey, but he's just not competitive in CDE, so trying an open show will give him a more "equal" opportunity.

When's your next show?!?!
Thank you very much! It's the only pleasure show around here so I'd have to really travel for another one before their next show. I might do it too, who knows?!
We have a few CDE's around here but I don't think I'm going to try any yet. One day! There is enough equipment to collect for carriage!
I'm sure you'll do very well at the open show!

You and Amigo looked wonderful! Not just beautifully turned out but cheerful and energized. 🤩

Congratulations on your awards! I know they aren’t necessary in order to say you had a successful competition, but they sure are fun! 😁

Enjoyed seeing your patterns, they helped me appreciate the challenge!

Thank you!
I just remembered to smile for the photographer in the rail classes lol. 😄 Normally I forget! I think I did do better at this show though because there were so many photographers around to remind me.

Thank you! Yes I was pretty happy with our results! I am extremely competitive and would have been disappointed if we didn't bring home any blue. It should be fun too though and that is what made this show great! It's always better when you can enjoy the whole atmosphere.....and win!

After breed shows with a maximum of 6 Obstacles those were a challenge! Good thing they are numbered. But I learned the brain is a wonderful thing and with walking the course once or twice it really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to remember them. Even when I had to do different patterns in back to back classes without having a chance to review in between!

Congrats! Sounds like that was a long day.
Thank you!
No, Not at all! We were done showing by 3pm which is quite a change from breed shows! But it was so much fun we stayed for dinner and to watch the speciality classes in the evening, coach dog and the sidesaddle show. Then we stayed over an extra night for the pleasure/ trail drive and the awards lunch the next day.😅
As the judge put it, some shows you can't wait for the end, this one you want to add another day or two!

Some photos from the rest of the show.
20231021_181523.jpg
20231021_163712_001.jpg
Screenshot_20231022_100311_Gallery.jpg20231022_104808.jpg20231022_104301.jpg20231021_070410.jpg

I'd missed your pictures from the October show somewhere! How lovely. I've not seen ladies with tophat veils in carriage. I've seen it very traditionally in sidesaddle, but not carriage driving. Can you speak to that? Otherwise I really like their turnout. I'm finding that's probably one of the most fun things about getting into carriage driving - DRESSING! There's far more freedom of expression and creativity with driving. We're planning a thrift shopping trip in January to look for hats and jackets. Hopefully I can find someone local to build aprons. They look simple but I haven't a clue about sewing.

Beautiful! Merry Christmas
Thank you! Same to you!

I'd missed your pictures from the October show somewhere! How lovely. I've not seen ladies with tophat veils in carriage. I've seen it very traditionally in sidesaddle, but not carriage driving. Can you speak to that?
It was a wonderful show! And yes, as you can see there was a sidesaddle show there too. That picture was from part of the fun trail drive on Sunday, not really judged. They were sidesaddle riders who came back through with their carriage. So that is why. However, I have seen top hats in some extremely formal turnouts, gigs and coaches. I can't remember if they had the veils but I would not be surprised to see it.

I'm finding that's probably one of the most fun things about getting into carriage driving - DRESSING! There's far more freedom of expression and creativity with driving.
Yes that is for sure! And researching the whys and proper etiquette of what to wear when. Also why I have way too many clothes! Lol But thrift shops are great for jackets and shirts around here, even found two aprons. I've started to let a few jackets go on FB marketplace but that only makes room for more. 🤣 Hats are trickier. I seldom find anything for carriage in stores. Most of them are easier to find online or from other carriage drivers. Sometimes estate sales or antique stores have prospects though. I know it's far, but I have a friend who makes exquisite aprons and you cannot beat her pricing, even with shipping. I just had her make me one to match the seat on my antique. They are deceptively simple to make. There are small details that can make the difference between a well fitting apron and one that does not hang right.

I've been thinking of you. I may have added a Hackney. ;)

If you don't mind, I'll find and reach out to you on facebook then. I see you on some of the group chats under your training name. On facebook I just go by my real name, not my business handle. I'd be glad to get in touch with your apron maker. Thank you for the suggestion. And You have a Hackney??!?!?! How did I miss this!??? Congratulations! Now you can tell me all about how to do things with them!

I hope everyone in the path of this winter storm is staying warm! While everyone is tucked into their stalls with blankets and warm mash, I thought I'd write about two driving horses and how two very different approaches resulted in success with each one. This will be the story of the first horse and how patience at the right times paid off.

In late October I was sent a darling little sorrel gelding. Apart from being shown in halter as a weanling, he had only basic handling and had not been away much from the farm where he was born. He had been called Little Rip but I started calling him Richard as he needed a lionheart! I could tell he was very laid back and sweet natured, but everything was such a big change for him so he was very much chicken hearted. From having big horses, dogs, and a plethora of cats to having all of his potential playmates be outgoing and playful, he was way out of his comfort zone. I gave him as long as he needed to settle in and it took a full two weeks. He was shy and timid at first and not inclined to trust me one bit. Once he started to become more comfortable, we started groundwork, in hand and in the round pen. He was sensitive and responsive and I went quite softly and slowly at first. Everything was a baby step and we had a lot of his hesitation and timidity to work through. After about a week, he started to come to me and pick up his basics at liberty.
At the start of the 4th week, we introduced the training backsaddle. Again, a baby step and whenever I felt he needed more, we repeated it another day. A few days later came the crupper. By now he could free lunge without a halter at a walk and trot and was starting to pick up whoa to my standards. He was also fairly proficient in all of the groundwork I consider necessary for any horse in training. The bridle came at the start of the 5th week and another week after that, he finally began to find his confidence with the assurance that came from knowing and understanding his job. He even started making friends when he was turned out with the other show horses. He was also ready to start in obstacle training as he trusted me and I was able to ask more.
At nearly the 7th week we began ground driving and focusing more intensively on a stronger whoa. Again taking it slowly, it was another week before I introduced breeching and in the 9th week he was ready for training shafts. By now, he was fully trusting and having fun playing with the others, even starting to be a bit cheeky himself during playtime which was a joy to see!
Another two weeks of ground driving inside, outside and all around the pastures, and he was started in the cart. Those crucial first few drives could not have gone more smoothly and I was grateful for every bit of groundwork we did, every time we repeated a lesson when it didn't seem like he fully understood it or needed more experience.

To sum it up, it was a full month before I felt him ready for even the training backsaddle, and yet, because of the extra time we took there, it was only another six weeks before he was driving. While the total process did not take very long, the key was obtaining that solid foundation and relationship on the ground before we ever started driving. Then things went faster and it was a joy to see him come out of his shell as he became happier and more sure of himself in everything. All that remains now is just driving miles for more experience until he finds a new driver! And I will be happy to hand over the reins of a quiet yet happy, confident and above all safe driving horse!

Next will be the story of a horse who is the complete opposite and why I felt like he was ready for so much so soon.
For now here are some pictures of little Richard, now very nearly lionhearted!

_MG_0559.JPG

410974321_1313652886010910_8150076699847405021_n.jpg
No description available.

Screenshot_20240112_134244_Gallery.jpg

A wonderful story of your work with Richard. It really brings home the classic idea of ‘haste makes waste’ and ‘don’t rush your fences’. Their memories are excellent and your patience sure gave him a chance to relax into the learning.

He is a super appealing little guy. 😍 Someone is very fortunate to have Richard, especially after the great foundation you have built for him.

What a nice story. Lucky for him he had you to train under. :)
To be perfectly honest, there were times at first when I thought it would be 6 months before he would drive! I don't say that often either. He is definitely one who a hasty approach would have ruined or at least set back for more time.

A wonderful story of your work with Richard. It really brings home the classic idea of ‘haste makes waste’ and ‘don’t rush your fences’. Their memories are excellent and your patience sure gave him a chance to relax into the learning.

He is a super appealing little guy. 😍 Someone is very fortunate to have Richard, especially after the great foundation you have built for him.
Thank you. Yes taking a little extra time never hurts! And getting him to relax was a big key to unlocking all of the potential he had.
I hope he finds the perfect person who loves him! He deserves it and will make such an amazing show horse for someone.

What a good job little Richard! lol
He was told that a lot! There was so much of his nature to overcome and to come through a different horse was a huge success for him.

Snow day now!

Snow Day Progression

Last edited:
I forgot to update this! Very shortly after the last post was written, Little Richard found the perfect new driver! He is going to be a trail and carriage horse with possibly some CT's as well. He is also staying here to continue training for at least another month.
He has become such a solid and dependable driving horse. I'm so happy with how far he has come!

My other driving projects are all coming along well too.
1000005972.jpg1000005846.jpg1000005932.jpg1000005702.jpg1000005845.jpg1000005887.jpg
1000005726.jpg

These are my personal show horses for this year. If all goes well they may be my entire herd as I focus on driving full time!

2024 Drivers

Latest posts

Back