Went to the shelter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unfortuntly another thing to take into effect is will your insurance cover this dog? Many insurances now do not allow GS's, rotties, pits, and a few other breeds and can/will drop you for owning them. (which i hate that the do this).

He looks like a beautiful dog with good energy and drive though! I've never owned a GSD but aussies and I love the drive and intelligence of a shepherd in general (most breeds of shepherds). one other thing to consider, not to be a downer but certainly something to consider, is that GSD's have high hip displyasia chances which could mean your dog may not be with you as long due to this.

German Shepherds are hands down my favorite dog. However I may be biased, I have had one my entire life. My mom used to bred them and would have hers shown when I was a kid, and when she got out of breeding them, we have always had one for a pet. Now, we have had MANY different kinds of dogs, but I have never found a more loyal, protective, companion. They are generally good with kids, and they don't all chase cats, it depends on the specific dog. We have had those who tree cats, however my girl now is the opposite, the cats chase her. She actually sleeps (by choice, with the door open) in her crate with our oldest cat. They are always together. However, I will point out that this cat HATES cats, and may think she is a dog. Does the shelter have the option that maybe they could take a cat by his kennel and see if he goes bezerk or becomes agitated, or maybe they would let you take him home on a trial to see if he got along with your cats.

I'll add some pictures of my fondest memories with german shepherds over the years.

235666820.jpg

Me, as a baby, with or old girl shatzie, She passed away about 7 years ago.

346140367.jpg

My current GSD Nenya, with "her kitty" Azrael, crate is open, they choose to sleep in there together.

346140366.jpg

Here they are again

346140362.jpg

346140368.jpg

More proof they are generally good with kids

Good luck with whatever you choose!

He looks like a nice dog! Very pretty.

I would ad one word of caution...

Be careful with him around minis. I'm sure some are just fine with them

My Shepherd Joey (female, named after a baby kangaroo) has never been able to be around my minis.

An elec fence, which she won't get near, separates the barn from my yard.

I have never been able to stop her from going at the minis. She's 8 now,

and will not change. It's no big deal, She is just never out unsupervised, and funny thing, my grankids can climb all over her, she is great with my westie puppies... she just has this THING for the minis.
default_sad.png

Here is Joey, 130 pound giant, very sweet dog and smart,, just not a good barn dog.

DSC_0051JoeyWeb-2.jpg

w11.jpg

Thanks for everyone and sharing such great pics! I am in love with those pics. We will make our decision by Wed. If nothing else I cant sleep knowing he will be put to sleep. They will not put him for adoption since he has hair loss due to fles (they are taken care of, now). So sad!

Ditto what Marty and others said about training. We have shepherds and always will. Ours are trained protection dogs and we used to compete some in our younger days. You HAVE to obedience train them. If you are consistant when they mature you will have a loyal and trustworthy dog. I can trust mine with anyone or anything at anytime-of course that was from the age of 5 on before that it was always with supervision and encouragement or correction. Yes showering is difficut at times in a small bathroom with a large furry dog that MUST lie by the shower and wait for you to come out. They are an incredible breed but not for anyone. Get signed up for obedience classes right away!!!

GSD are my dream dog. I have 4 dogs now so I can't anymore but someday. I hope he works out for you. He's gorgeous.

If you have a Shepherd that loves you, you have the most loyal, caring dog in the world. My girl, Riis, sees me as her alpha male. She, honestly, doesn't even acknowledge Kev. If he goes out in the morning she won't go with him...she'll wait for me
default_wub.png
About the prey drive. Many do have a very high prey drive; Riis loves chasing birds and cats. However, when she knows the cat is part of the family she leaves them completely alone; she just knows it's family. I can bring Casey (my Himalayan) on the grass for a brushing and Riis won't bat an eyelash at him. Same with the minis. I was so scared getting them, because I was sure she'd chase them in the paddock. Not once has she done that. I trust her 100% around any of my other beasts. She is a very intelligent "knowing" dog. That dog looks beautiful and if he's half the dog of my Riisers, you've got a good one.

My beautiful queen
default_wub.png

Sun7.jpg

Sun5.jpg

Riisers last litter of pups (from 3 years ago...she's spayed and retired now)

DSCF0115.jpg

A funny pic of the pups

HaHaHa.jpg

Those dogs are sooo cute!! I want to eat them!!!!!
default_wub.png

It is any dogs instinct to chase. Yes they do chase cats so you must teach NO or STOP. Mine would tree cats on a daily basis if I'm not out there watching.
My sister and brother-in-law had a german sheppard for 14 years!!! Yes 14 years and that dog loved the 5 cats my sister had. He never chased the cats at all. My brother-in-law is originally from England and worked with dogs (he was a british policeman). This is also the only breed of dog he will own. They truly are wonderful dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to say that I have a golden retriever and I have ducks. You would think that the dog would go after the duck, WRONG! Fuller is wonderful with the ducks, does not chase them because I wouldn't allow it if he were to even try it. Yes, training, training, training and consistent training with kindness. that is the key!!!!

Latest posts

Back