weight and minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ShelleyS said:
and basically I am afraid if and when she ever foals it will be with problems I am unable to deal with. I lost one mare and foal already because she was so big and I still feel so guilty that it was probably my fault .

486719[/snapback]

Please don't get me wrong... I am sympathetic to your feelings... however, if this horse that you're talking about is Bay B, then your website states: "throws tiny correct babies." If this horse you're talking about here is Bay B, then how can you say she "throws tiny correct babies?" From what I read, she's never foaled since you've had her because you're concerned about her weight. If I'm misunderstading, please advise.

Shelley

487014[/snapback]

Hello Shelley, I added that about her because I have seen her last 4 babies...little fillies and they are beautiful! No, she has not foaled with me yet...thought she was pg but was not. If that statement is misleading because she has not foaled for me..then let me know and I will take it off my site, no problem.
yes.gif

and yes we are dealing with her front toes..took me forever to find a farrier that did minis but now I have one he is working on her and she looks soooo much better. She did not have good farrier work before ....all toe and no heal whatsever. Thank you all again for your input...all duley noted and taken to heart.

Jag and Inti said:
saludando.gif
I had a mini stallion with a weight problem, Jag, and the vet did tests for thyroid deficiency, but they came back low normal.  I knew he just wasn't right and I started feeding him a low carb diet.  No sweet feed, just Progressive Nutrition Low Carb feed and Progressive Nutrition Grass Balancer.  I also switched him to Timothy hay exclusively.  I had a thought that he had an insulin resistance problem.  With the change in his diet, he dropped about 50 pounds and now looks and feels great.  If you can't get Progressive Nutrition, or just don't want to use it cause it can be pricey, you can just use Oats and a non sugared pellet.  Try to stay away from alfalfa and I also added soaked beet pulp L(non molasses) to his diet.  Sometimes when you cut their feed back really far, their bodies think they are starving and actually turn everything to fat.  So if you can feed more of a low calorie feed they will lose weight much easier and feel more contented as well.  Hope this helps.
486862[/snapback]

This sounds alot like my chubby little mare (except she hasn't been vet tested, yet). She was quite rolly-polly when I brought her home (the previous owner had her on almost straight alfalfa hay - I've since found out that alfalfa hay doesn't really agree with her). When I brought her home I put her on Progressive Nutrition grass balancer and grass hay, she was looking really good, then the store where I got the PN quit carrying it and at the time I couldn't find any place else, so I changed feeds, she porked up again (not to her previous level, but still too heavy). I finally contacted the closest Progressive Nutrition rep and know where I can get it again, so as soon as I go to town (65 miles one-way, so will wait til I'm going for more than one thing), I'm getting her back on the PN grass balancer. The PN rep would have delivered a bag to my door, he was going to be in the area, but he only had the alfalfa balancer in-stock and they are not interchangeable, so I'll be waiting for his next delivery (next week, when we also happen to be going to town).

I think that there are certain minis that have a tendency to be overweight, although others can be on the same diet, and metabolize their calories more efficiently.. One mare in particular that I own was even more padded than yours, a year ago, and she was a few months pregnant on top of that!.. The vets took a look at her and wanted her to cut back on her food, to her minimum "desirable weight ration".. but also wanted to make sure that she was recieving her minerals as well. So they had me get the 12-12 block from the

Purina dealers. She took of the weight slowly but surely, on mainly her "minimum desired weight amount" of burmuda grass hay, as I had to remove her access to pasture to get the weight off.. Now that she has foaled, I keep her weight controled by bringing her in -off of pasture in the afternoon and not letting her have access to it again til around 7:00 in the morning.. It has worked- as the sugar content in the "pasture grass" goes "up" in the afternoon and peaks at night... So this is where I think mine picked up the weight in the first place,.. as she is the only one I cant leave out 24-7 or else it comes back on.....

Last edited by a moderator:
yellerroseintx said:
ShelleyS said:
and basically I am afraid if and when she ever foals it will be with problems I am unable to deal with. I lost one mare and foal already because she was so big and I still feel so guilty that it was probably my fault .

486719[/snapback]

Please don't get me wrong... I am sympathetic to your feelings... however, if this horse that you're talking about is Bay B, then your website states: "throws tiny correct babies." If this horse you're talking about here is Bay B, then how can you say she "throws tiny correct babies?" From what I read, she's never foaled since you've had her because you're concerned about her weight. If I'm misunderstading, please advise.

Shelley

487014[/snapback]

Hello Shelley, I added that about her because I have seen her last 4 babies...little fillies and they are beautiful! No, she has not foaled with me yet...thought she was pg but was not. If that statement is misleading because she has not foaled for me..then let me know and I will take it off my site, no problem.
yes.gif

and yes we are dealing with her front toes..took me forever to find a farrier that did minis but now I have one he is working on her and she looks soooo much better. She did not have good farrier work before ....all toe and no heal whatsever. Thank you all again for your input...all duley noted and taken to heart.

487215[/snapback]

Actually, one would think that if a person bought her that before they bred her they'd check with the vet because of her weight. I didn't realize you had saw any of her babies, so I wouldn't think you are being misleading cause what you've stated is true. Good luck with her!

Latest posts

Back