Wee foal test lied

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appymini

Reaction score
Northern Ontario Country( where it is winter 11mon
I test 3 mares last month.2 of them did not really look in foal.The wee foal test daid they where and I did the string test on them all And it also said in foal. Now the other day one mare came in heat
default_sad.png
So now I fear if the other 2 will come in heat also :DOH! .I just can`t afford the 120.00 to test them again. Has anyone else had this happen?

I feel for you Appymini ...

I not only hurts the pocket but the heart when this happens.

This year I went with only the string test and it showed strong for one mare,

who if she is not preggers I will be putting on a very strict diet! and the other

was a weak positive. So I have my fingers crossed ....

for me and you!

Doobie

They claim no false positives. I had my pregnant mare come into heat .

The only other reason would be if she lost the foal. I would trust the test. I am betting she is still pregnant.

Bonny even let the stallion breed so, dont give up! Keep the stallion away from her. How far along should she be?

Prego mares with raging hormones can act like they are in heat, and on occasion may even reciprocate a stallions advances. If a mare is prego, well, that just opens a whole new can of worms when it comes to infections. A $120 for tests is expensive, but a mare in foal with all the potential risks to go along with it, not to mention all the things can go wrong once a foal is on the ground can be alot more costly.

These are the odds we all take when we choose to breed our animals, sometimes it really hurts the pocket.

My vet told me that she prefers to do a blood test on minis to determine pregnancy. The test itself costs $68 or something, she said it is pretty accurate. They are testing for progesterone.

Well my mare showed heat too, and the gal I got her from said that her mother would show heat when in foal. Well I wanted to breed this mare, so I ended up taking her in and ultra sounded her and she ended up open. So bred her this weekend. She wasnt due until the end of April and I didnt want to wait that long to breed her if she wasnt in foal. Soooo I guess my point is if you dont want to spend the extra money wait til her due date, if you dont want to wait check her again. My best advice.

[SIZE=12pt]Just curious,[/SIZE]

I had a mare test positive back in the beginging of December. I figured she was in foal. I have sat on a chair two different times for about an hour each time and felt absolutly NO movement. I went ahead and tested her again this past Thursday and she came back positive again, she would be at approx 8 months pregnant at this time
default_new_shocked.gif
I sat on a chair again for about an hour after she tested positive again and Still felt NO movement. I have bred horses for 17 years, so I know what I'm feeling for and I have never not felt movement in a 8month old pregnancy. She is a maiden mare, rather fat and about 32 inches. The stallion is tiny(26.5") Is It possible because the stallion is so small and the mare larger and overweight that it may not be big enough to feel yet
default_wacko.png
I am grasping at straws as I just don't think that's possible :DOH! but I'd like to hear what others have to say
default_wink.png

Thanks,

Joy
default_saludando.gif

Joy, I have had several mares over the years that I NEVER felt any movement till I had a wet foal flopping on the ground! So that can happen, but I wouldn't think real often.

And appymini, I've had several mares...one especially....that showed strong heat and teased the stallions ALL the time she was preg! Just as regular as clock work....she 'came in heat' about every 20 days! EVERY year! That doesn't answer your question, but it is possible. Enough to drive you nuts!
default_wacko.png

Charlotte

What is "the string test" for pregnancy in horses? I never heard of it before. Thanks.

Joy, I have had several mares over the years that I NEVER felt any movement till I had a wet foal flopping on the ground! So that can happen, but I wouldn't think real often.

Charlotte

Same here! One mare in particular, she's had two foals and both times I was unable to feel ANY movement while she was pregnant.

[SIZE=12pt]That is SOO weird! I guess you just never know and there's a first time for everything. It just seems so strange to me as I have always felt some movement, whether rolling or slight ticks, when they kick. One of my mares looks as if she has a war going on inside
default_new_shocked.gif
I've never seen one soo active
default_biggrin.png
you definetly don't have to touch her to see that she's preggers LOL! Thanks for both of your replies
default_yes.gif
I guess I'll just have to spend a few more hours in "the Chair"
default_biggrin.png
[/SIZE]

Thanks
default_saludando.gif

Joy

Joylee, you might spend the rest of your mares pregnancy in "the chair" and still not see or feel anything. Thats why it's so hard to figure out pregnancy in these mares. I am a total believer in the Weefoal tests! They are awesome! I was leasing to own a leopard appy mare that had previously had 2 foals for the owner. She never showed any heat at all after she was bred. They bred her for a third foal and she came into heat. They didn't bother to breed her again and she was in raging heat all summer. I took her in the fall on a lease to purchase and I found out she was pregnant. (I used the weefoal test) The owners were quite shocked and needless to say took her back. It just goes to show, these mares pregnancys can each be totally different.

I am sorry I posted this topic.And upset some people. It is not a normal thing I do. There is only one horse vet in this district.And no other (HORSE) vet is allowed here.And I can tell you,It has been this way for dacades. And he is the biggest crook.And has no feelings for animals. Anyway I wanted to know if she was in foal.As I would like to get her teeth done. And do not want to do it if she is.I will be trucking her on a 2 hr drive to go to another vet for her teeth. I have talked to the weefoal distributors. And they have been very nice to work with.And was able to learn a few more things.
default_smile.png

Hi Everyone

I also use WeeFoal,I have had great results from them. I'm a firm believer in the urine tests.

If anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them. I'm also a distributor but use them on my own horses so I do have a lot of knowledge of them & would not sell them if I didn't believe in the product.

If anyone has any comments or questions send me a email I will be happy to help. Thanks Lynne [email protected]

Appy mini,

at first I actually agreed that the tests are always accurate,but I myself have had a false positive. I dont see your response as ugly in anyway. Just as being curious to the status of your mare.

I know my mare didnt abort. I know I preformed the test correctly. I know the urine was not stored and it was diluted properly. I collected the sample with a clean paper cup and a clean paper towel and testes right away, as I wanted to know.

I have been in contact with wee foal and they have been very pleasant to deal with, They have even forwarded my e mail to Dr Henderson in New Zealand.

Basically I was told it was user error on my part. I had even sent pictures along with the e mail of both my neg and false positive tests.

This is the e mail from Dr Henderson.

It is unusual for the WeeFoal test to return a false positive result. There are a few possible causes such as the urine was stored too long before testing (over about 8 hours at room temperature) and this resulted in bacterial growth in the urine which can give a false positive result; the container the urine was collected in was not clean and the contents contaminated the urine (we have had an instance of a user collecting urine in a bucket that had previously held feed and there were still feed remnants in the bucket, and this gave a false positive result). If too much urine is added to the diluent, or the urine is not diluted before adding to the cassette well, this can return a false positive too. We have also had an instance where a mare which had foaled the previous year had not dropped its estrogen concentrations to the typical non-pregnant values, but were still at the low end of the range associated with pregnancy. However, as the first test showed a negative result this situation is unlikley. Also, if the test has not been stored properly, then this can result in a pregnant result, though there would also be a faint 'C' line. If the test itself has not run properly, then the 'T' line might not have shown up, but again this would be accompanied by a faint 'C' line. I wonder if Bonny noticed if the 'C' line was strong or faint in the test that gave a false positive result.

I know I preformed the test correctly. I know the urine was not stored and it was diluted properly. I collected the sample with a clean paper cup and a clean paper towel and testes right away, as I wanted to know.
You may have tested TOO soon. The test must be done with both the test kit AND the urine sample at room temperature, so if you ran the test as soon as you got the sample, that may prove to be a problem also.

Actually no I waited until it was room temperature. I meant that I didnt let it set for 8 hours on the counter. As implied in the email.The test was at room temperature also, I had received it that morning. And yes it was in the house also. I read the directions very carefully both times I tested. It was not user error.

I would love to know why I got a false positive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm one that won't waste money buying a wee foal test kit, and I sure don't put any stock at all in the string test being accurate. I used to do the string test just for fun, but the last year I tried it, it told me that two mares were open and the other 2 were going to have colts. Fact is, all 4 were in foal, and all 4 were carrying fillies.

I also have on mare that I can never feel foal movement on. I have no idea what it is about her, but she certainly proves that no foal movement doesn't = an open mare!

Back