Watching Star Bright...SB 4/19,La La 4/20, Red 5/23, FILLY!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the update. I agree that removing the mares form the rye grass for a week will tell you if that is causing their udders to regress.
default_thumbup.gif
Keep the updates coming as we all would love to learn from this.

HAPPY EASTER

thank you Diane and same back to ya! It's actually a beautiful Easter Morning here. Sun peeping out a bit. No wind. Temp in the 60s and climbing and Mrs Carolina Chickadee continuing her nest building in the bird townhouse right outside my window.

As for a 'bag report'. no significant changes. I sure had hoped that Star Bright would come back after 24 hours off of rye. We'll see what the next days bring. La La is a bit tighter this morning than last night, but that was what I expected. I'm going to try to find time to borrow Becky's refractometer today or tomorrow and see what that tells me.

If I see any changes in the girls I'll get some new pix. I expect to see both of them drop off more in the hind end. They have some, but not as much as I expect to see.

La La is at 307 days today and foaled at 308 last year.

Star Bright 316 and foaled at 338 last year, but started bagging up weeks ago so I thought was going to go earlier this year.

I am in the same boat with the udder going down in size and failing to go anywhere. Our two mares are 323 & 322 days along. The mare that is 322 days started bagging a long time ago and I thought for sure they way she was filling that she would have foaled long ago. Then it just started going the there way. Now both mares udders and filling the most full in the evening when we bring them in to the stall and flabbiest in the mornings. Opposite of normal udder development. Go figure??

I'll try to get some later today.

I'm totally stressed right now. Our electric utility company is taking 1/5th of our little farm for a power line easement. All of the issues related to that have about put us in the grave since they first came to us at Thanksgiving. Well, construction is supposed to start this week and they will take down our dog proof fencing at least part of the time. I will be trying to keep all the horses in paddocks close to the house where I can see them all day and in stalls at night. The problem is those paddocks are for my close to foaling mares. I think I'm going to set up stalls in my LIVING ROOM!!!

sorry, I know I am off topic.
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry about the stress Charlotte, but one of the best things about this chat thread is WE UNDERSTAND!!

Oh Gosh, how frustrating. The only thing that is not aloud here is attitude, you can blow off as much steam as you want cos we are here to listen and support.
bighug.gif

Oh goodness that is NOT something you need at any time let alone now with the mares foaling. Sending ((((HUGS))))

Oh goodness that is NOT something you need at any time let alone now with the mares foaling. Sending ((((HUGS))))
My thoughts, too! It's bad that it is happening, but the timing makes it just that much worse! I feel for you.

I'll see if the 'attach file' thing works for me.

I didn't get udder pix today, but by feel there isn't anything to report. However it seems to me that La La is really making body changes. Her tail is a limp noodle too. By bag and milk I'd say some days off, but she's starting to look 'foaley' don't you think? Much moreso than Star Bright.

P1010002.JPG

P1010003.JPG

This 'V' thing just seemed to appear suddenly. I would expect to see her get more pointy in the hind end before she gets down to it. I'm thinking SB is a couple of weeks behind La La now even though she looked to be first just a couple of weeks ago.

I want to get more udder pix today if I can.

I haven't checked milk this morning. Just ran out and fed before the storm gets here.

limp noodle
default_new_rofl.gif
I love it Charlotte
default_new_rofl.gif
That tummy is looking very good but it is still hard to say who will win the race
default_yes.gif
They need the whole picture, tummy, shopping bag, limp noodle, puffy hooha who said we were nuts here??
default_new_rofl.gif

Very nice "v". So sorry to hear about all that. I would be stressed too, as we are pressed for good pasture space here. Hope all goes well and works out for you.

Well, I've given up on Star Bright. I'd say La La is definitley going to win this race. I'm going to try to get udder pix tonight. Although both bags have gone down from this morning.

If it makes you feel any better (OK ,a live foal would do the trick) we have 2 in a neck and neck race and Toffee is now at 340 days and Sox is at 309 days. I don't think La La and Star Bright are that far apart are they? We started seriously watching when Toffee hit 285 days, after losing a foal at 299 days last year. No wonder I feel tired!!!

La La udder pix tonight. She goes way down in the day time so I say not anywhere near.

P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG

Star Bright udder pix tonight. Despite starting to bag up on March 12 here we are a month later. She had way more udder than this for a while then it just mostly went away and we started all over again.

P1010003.JPG

P1010004.JPG

Wow! Taretsmom I don't blame you at all for starting the watch at 285 days! During the years we were having all the late term abortions I put all my preg mares under camera at 200 days. Not with the Breeder Alert on them, but at least I could check them multiple times per night. I bet you are getting worn out.

I'm really anxious to see Toffee's foal. (but less than you I imagine)

La La is at 311 days and foaled at 308 last year.

Star Bright is at 320 and foaled at 338 for her last foal.

Both were maidens for their previous foals.

About 'planning your foaling times out'.... forget that. I know someone who spread theirs out... they had two mares that were due a month apart. One was two weeks late, the other about two weeks earlier than expected and the foals were born a day apart!

Foaling out mini mares........there IS no planning! They get pregnant when they are in the mood and they foal when they are in the mood. At the rate these two are going they will foal with Red who is at 284 days!!! good grief

Latest posts

Back