Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, she has been on antibiotics since the day after she was born. The vet put her on Baytril I believe. She has less swelling in her stifle than when she was born. And her right front knee is not really swollen, just slight puffiness. The vet said that her tendons are all too lax, and wanted her front legs wrapped for support and continue the Baytril as a precaution. Her appetite is very good, and she is very strong. She just doesn't get around like a healthy foal. Each day has been an improvement except for the knee. I wonder, is she just over compensating too much with her front legs? And is it an issue of laxity in all her tendons? Just not happy with things so far.

Am glad to hear that there has been some improvement in her legs, but I too would have been hoping for a little more by now. I'm still not keen on the idea of wrapping legs unless absolutely necessary - too much posibility of the wraps slipping, even a little, and doing more damage than if they had never been used in the first place.

What about trying that product that in the UK we call Foal Assist (think you call it Rejuvenade or something that - perhaps someone else will give you its name?) it is a brilliant 'additive' for 'weak' foals and has been proved very successful in a lot of cases with weakness in the limbs. It comes as a syringe - not cheap I'm afraid - and you will need at least 2 weeks worth I think (2 to 3 syringes), at least to start with. I have used it with success on a foal born with weak fetlocks so may be worth a try for your little girl??

WHEW! I'm so glad she is a strong little one! And that she's been on antibiotics. That's great news. I guess I forgot -- forgive the old auntie.

How about a new picture of her? I'd love to see how she's changed, and maybe it will give us some more ideas.

If she's strong and eating, then that is such a positive!!

Well from those pictures I would say that she has made a lot of improvement! But I do realise that we are not seeing her move. I still suggest you try the Rejuvenade plus (and I'm not sure if she is too young yet) would there be a chiro practitioner (or similar) anywhere near you who could pop in and have a gentle feel at her hips/stifle in case there is some misplacement?

Meanwhile, keep up what you are doing with plenty of outside time included - do you have a grass pasture available that she and Trixie could use - just thinking that wandering, nibbling at the grass might help put her body in one of the 'natural' positions for a foal. (Am just throwing out ideas here as they flow into my mind!
default_yes.gif
)

Oh yes! She's made tremendous improvements. Hardly looks like the same little girl!!

I don't know anything about the Rejuvenade Plus, but it seems she's steadily improving. I'd try to check out what Anna has said.

If you don't have grass areas, try sprinkling their hay around in different places on the ground, and she should wander about nibbling. I'm very pleased with the positive changes she's making, and perhaps just more time will continue to help her improve.

Thank you for the suggestions. We don't have even one grass patch here, but I will throw their hay around on the ground like you suggested. Thanks again!

So how is she (Kasha) doing now? Pics? Hope she is continuing to get stronger!

don't you also have another mare getting ready to foal? the black and the buckskin... Did the tests come back on Aragon yet? How long do they take? When are his two foals due?

Latest posts

Back