More Udder Pix

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte

Reaction score
Well, actually, I guess the 'camera' perspective is about the same as usual, but I thought you'd like to see a couple of udders we have here right now that are quite different than some we have seen pictures of on mares close to foaling.

First is a maiden mare with a very small udder. She is at 325 days and she may very well foal without a lot of change in her udder. Her milk is thick, sticky and very amber colored. She is being watched closely.

P1010002.jpg

P1010004.jpg

Second is Ima Red Head carrying her 5th foal. She is 314 days gestation with thin watery milk. Looking at this udder I would say she is several weeks away from foaling, BUT last year she had an udder just like this at the same gestation length. She was on camera but not wearing a Breeder Alert at the time. For some reason I woke up at 2 a.m. one morning and looked at the monitor. Red was down and pushing!! We ran to the barn in our PJs and delivered a lovely black and white filly. Dumb luck?

P1010006.jpg

P1010007-1.jpg

I guess all of this rambling is leading up to this: Don't expect all mares to develop big 'Jersey cow' udders before they foal. Some are going to fool you. The little darlings.
default_smile.png

Charlotte

Great photos, Charlotte! Thanks for posting! It is good to see the difference in udders so that we all can be better informed breeders
default_smile.png

I am betting that first mare will foal within 10 days.
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My mare has an udder as big as a jersey cow. But as far the preditafoal strips are concerned, she won't be going anytime soon.

This is a great post. Every mares is different!!!

default_saludando.gif
Hi Charlotte,

This mornig I went up the paddock to find my black mare with a similar udder to the above picture, there was nothing yesterday.

She is 292 days today.

Was thinking of putting her on Rugumate, advice would be appreciated.

She lost her 1st foal last year at 9 months gestation.

with kind regards

wjs

Hi WJS-

I would expect a mare to be developing a bag at 292 days. I really don't know what to advise with the Regumate. I suppose it would not hurt, but I would wonder if it is needed at this stage of the game. Perhaps Charlotte could suggest something.

My mare is starting to bag today, also. She is at 291 days. I don't plan on putting her on Regumate, though.

Keep us posted!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi WJS-
I would expect a mare to be developing a bag at 292 days. I really don't know what to advise with the Regumate. I suppose it would not hurt, but I would wonder if it is needed at this stage of the game. Perhaps Charlotte could suggest something.

My mare is starting to bag today, also. She is at 291 days. I don't plan on putting her on Regumate, though.

Keep us posted!
Hi Albahurst,

Thank you for your reply, I have lost 6 out of 8 foals all at different stages of development over last 3 years, getting a bit jittery. We are expecting three this year and have been worrying all the way through.

It was a relief to see your reply. Thank you.

wjs
default_saludando.gif

This mornig I went up the paddock to find my black mare with a similar udder to the above picture, there was nothing yesterday.She is 292 days today.

Was thinking of putting her on Rugumate, advice would be appreciated.

She lost her 1st foal last year at 9 months gestation.
Hi Kim. Normally, I would not be worrying about a mare starting to bag up at 292 days....BUT!!! this mare lost her foal last year in a late term abortion so *I* would start her on the full placentitis treatment. Regumate (3 ml one time per day, SMZ (Trimethoprim/Sulfa two or three tabs, depending on her weight, two times per day), and banamine one time per day for two or three days.

I would keep the mare on Regumate untill she foaled

The SMZ I would do for 10 days

The Banamine I would do for not more than 3 days

The above is what I would do with my personal mares if I had anyy kind of feeling that things might not be right and a mare that aborted late term is one I would consider 'at risk'.

The bottom line is, you can do nothing and see what happens. Or you can do the full treatment which is considered pretty safe for mare and foal and consider it just a bit of insurance. If she does have a placentitis infection, the Regumate probably won't help without the antibiotic (SMZ) and the banamine which would reduce inflamation and hopefully give the SMZ time to work.

I don't know what kind of pasture grasses and hays you have over there, but here in the USA we have a grass called Fescue. The grass and hay made from it can be infected with an endophyte which causes all kinds of foaling related problems. Do you have anything like that over there? It sounds like you have something going on that is causing your problems.........do you have any nut trees the mares are exposed to? Or any other kinds of plants which might be toxic? It is really sounding like you may have an enviornmental issue.

I am wishing you THREE healthy foals!!!!!

Charlotte

Hi WJS-

Keep us posted!
Hi Albahurst,

Thank you for your reply, I have lost 6 out of 8 foals all at different stages of development over last 3 years, getting a bit jittery. We are expecting three this year and have been worrying all the way through.

It was a relief to see your reply. Thank you.

wjs
default_saludando.gif
This new info would change my perspective on the situation. I would most likely treat, then, as Charlotte suggests.

Is it possible you have rhino going on at your place?

Hmmm, I didn't think about Rhino. good call Peggy. Something else to look into.
C
Hi Charlotte,

I have discussed this with the vet, her opinion is," if the mare is going to aport there is nothing we can do!" and if there is no milk flowing or discarge there is No problem......I feel like banging my head.

also, think its time I found a new vet, more in tune with miniatures.

I do have regumate in stock... I could give them that? thoughts would be appreciated.

wjs

Hmmm, I didn't think about Rhino. good call Peggy. Something else to look into.
C
Hi Charlotte,

I have discussed this with the vet, her opinion is," if the mare is going to aport there is nothing we can do!" and if there is no milk flowing or discarge there is No problem......I feel like banging my head.

also, think its time I found a new vet, more in tune with miniatures.

I do have regumate in stock... I could give them that? thoughts would be appreciated.

wjs
I am sending you a PM

Latest posts

Back