Wanna talk about STRESS???!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuffsmom

Reaction score
Well, the last few days, I've felt like I got ran over by a truck....just absolutley awful, flu-like almost. Puking, hurting all over, dizzy, just general crappiness. So, I went down to the clinic yesterday.

I sat in the room for over an hour, they take blood, & do their thing. And the doctor comes in and laughs at me. He says "Go home, rest, drink fluids....and you're due September 4th" WHAT!?!?!?!?!!?
new_shocked.gif

Okay, FIRST OF ALL...I'm on the pill. THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN. Second of all, we have no medical insurance, we have hospitalization/disability/life only, but no doctor's insurance, simply because of the fact that we are self employed, and it is outrageously expensive. So, I leave the doctor's office (with a $300 bill, by the way), in tears. Call hubby, who still doesn't belive it.

SOO..I call my OB, it's going to cost us nearly $10,000 when it's all said and done. And I thought Christmas was a huge expense!!!!!
no.gif

Does ANYONE have ANY ideas on what to do here??? Any programs, discount things, ANYTHING?!?!!?

take a big deep breath!!! you have plenty of time to figure it all out. I remember when i found out i was pregnant and wow i was just like you. Had two kids and figured i was done. Called my mom crying my eyes out and told her a 3rd was on the way She told me to take a deep breath and let it all sink in and worry about the rest later.

of course it all worked out and hes one of the biggest blessings in my life!! but i do remember that feeling of shock and panic when i found out.

There are programs called "short stay" I did this with my 3rd. I went in delivered and left within 24 hrs. This cut my bill IMMENSELY and i would rather be at home where i am confortable. but you have to have help at home and your drs permission.

ohmy.gif
WOW...now you want to puke for more than one reason!
laugh.gif
Gosh, my first one cost us $900 for the OB doctor (best in town, too) and a little over $1,200 for the hospital...you got to stay 3 days then.

OK, once you get over the shock.....................
unsure.gif
wub.gif
yes.gif
It'll all work out. Go to your Social Services and see if there is anything they can suggest, too. Some areas have a good amount of benefits.

tuffsmom said:
Okay, FIRST OF ALL...I'm on the pill. THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN.
532378[/snapback]

Yep, son #2 was a complete surprise and I was VERY diligent about taking them. I would go with a midwife situation if you are low risk. My daughter had hers in a birthing center with midwives in attendance and the hospital was right next door for any complications. Saved her a bundle compared to a OB assisted birth and hospital stay.

Good luck and congratulations!

Suggestions? Move to Canada. We have free health care. I'm 7 months pregnant and having a baby won't cost me a thing in terms of medical care.

Other than that ... join the military? Or the reserves? I'm not an American, but I think the U.S. military picks up the medical costs for soldiers' wives.

One thing they DON'T tell you about the pill is that it's made for women 155 lbs. or less. If you're over that weight, they aren't guaranteed effective.

I would be excited, and hope you see that day soon. I understand your concern. Things do have a way of working themselves out though.

And baby #3 was a pill baby. Me at 119lbs.

Best of luck to your family.
biggrin.gif

Well, I weigh about 125, so it was supposed to work. There's a lesson for all those teenage girls out there!!! I am (was) also very diligent about taking them, I did not take any other medication, nor do I drink or smoke....heck, I don't even drink caffeine. That's why this is so hard to understand.

I read something about a home birth, but I have a pain tolerance of ZERO. I'm the worlds biggest baby when it comes to pain. I honestly don't think that I could make it though childbirth without any pain help.

Right now, my head is just spinning.

I've been reading on the internet about all these "Discount Programs", but I have a feeling they're all just scams. They want you to pay $35.00 or whatever for their information they have available. I'm just so confused.

OK first depending on your income you may qualify for medical coupons.........

As for the pill.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
..lets see I was the pill baby...then my next sister was the IUD baby.....the next was the diaphragm baby.......and last was the condom baby...mom solved the problem by getting tubes tied....................

now for a really scary situation...........a friend of a friend got her tubes tied and her hubby had a vasectomy in their late 20's early 30's.........she was rather shocked when she turned up pregnant at 52
new_shocked.gif

I was on med coupons with my first.............my second we didn't qualify...so I paid out of pocket for group death insurance..............at that time 10 yr.s ago they kept you max 48 hrs. if all was normal....and a completely normal pregnancy/delivery runs closer to 30,000 now days............

for now look into state help...also contact WIC if you have one they can help with other things......look into a midwife if you aren't high risk........for now try to rest and here are some puke prevention tips..............B vitamins, ginger tea, saltines, if your lucky it wont last too long but start on a good prenatal vitamin and extra b's....for good vitamin prices go to vitaminshoppe online
wink.gif

you will get through this I have been there twice......my first was right after we had been flooded and lost EVERYTHING we owned took 10 days to get out and then red cross put us up...I was sick as a dog.....yep turned out I was prego....I think I cried for a week straight except for the interuptions of puking every hour on the hour round the clock
wacko.gif

I went through this same thing about this time last year. I found out later that there had been a recall on my pills. I'll be praying for a healthy baby for you.

I wish you the best of luck for a healthy 9 months and I hope it all works out for you.

tuffsmom said:
Okay, FIRST OF ALL...I'm on the pill. THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN.
532378[/snapback]

I was on the pill with #4
wacko.gif
So it happens often (isn't it about 1/100 gets pg on the pill?) I am 6' tall and weighed my least ever (145) when I conceived Preston. We are a "daily couple" and my doc joked that - that changed our odds LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
We have Mass HEalth which is free medical care for pregnant women and low income families. Thye also help self employed families. Do you have anything like that in Texas? Maybe they can help.

Christy

Yippee! I have one suggestion that would cure it all! Give it me! LOL Congratulations!

Fran

Please check out your options for assistance. There are programs out there.

Considering you have been on the pill, my feeling is you have a little Spirit out there who is determined to come into this world! EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON.

Trust me, I speak from experience.....only from a totally different perspective from where you are right now.
wink.gif

Blessings,

MA

My first born was a pill baby and his baby was a pill baby!!! Go figure.. There are programs and some times they will give you a discount if you have no insurance and you can be set up on a payment plan. Good Luck, Kathy

Are you against abortion? You asked for suggestions and nobody has mentioned it so far. If it is not the right time for you or you do not have the money that is a consideration. Having a child is a huge commitment.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Carol

My first was a surprise!

But I am NOT a worrier or always the most informed! so I never worried a bit about finances. Then after one Dr's visit the office lady pulled me aside and asked me how I intended to pay for this?? I was VERY offended because she was rude!! I told her "Don't you worry, you will get every nickel that is due to you!". I went home and started to count our coin jar, my elation turned to panic BUT I thought well the babies coming so I better find a way!!!!!!!

I had just completed a 2 year contract with a company, not easy interviewing when you are 5 months pregnant and plan to stay home after the baby is born
biggrin.gif

So, I worked waitressing up until my dueday but I had no insurance, I saved all I could.

I called the state and found out that if you are pregnant you qualify for state insurance. My hubby is self employed too!

I had a beautiful, healthy baby girl! I went all natural with a midwife, my choice, and had nothing for pain either before or after but was in the hospital for 3 days. It cost $1,700. She was a fine 9lbs 6 oz!

For me, it was a shock but I never considered it a bad thing! All things happen for a reason! She was the best little thing that ever happened to us, shocked us into highgear!

Now, we have 3 little delights!

I hope you can find similar help with health insurance in Texas!

Often the unexpected, turns out to be what is best!

I hope things go well for you!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Vertical Limit said:
Are you against abortion?  You asked for suggestions and nobody has mentioned it so far.  If it is not the right time for you or you do not have the money that is a consideration.  Having a child is a huge commitment.
Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Carol

532543[/snapback]

You are right Carol......the other option is adoption which will cover all your expenses.....

#3 was a HUGE surprise since I was on the Pill and Hubby was using condoms, She was going to be here no matter what. We have good health insurance, but I realize you don't. When my first was born, I was not married and I was just a young dumb young lady.

First your state should have some kind of assistance for pregnant women, if not they should have a Pregnancy Crisis center or a Woman's Place of help. You will have to look in the phone book for these. If you don't know how to get on state Assistance, the Pregnancy Crisis center should help you.

Second, go to your local health department and get on WIC. They will provide you with Milk, eggs, cereal and other items until the baby comes, then they will provide you with formula, cereal and juice for the baby until the baby turns one, then if you still qualify, they will provide Milk and whatnot for the child until it turns 5 years old. We did not qualify for WIC this last time and we are buying formula now, it really isn't that bad cause we use the powdered formula.

Third, all I can wish you is good luck. You may be stressed right now, but once you get that little bundle in your arms, you will love it forever and it is worth it.

Edited to add: if you need any help with ANYTHING send me a message, I would be glad to help, even if you don't know me.
saludando.gif

Thanks for all the support. I'm not worried about formula, food, diapers, etc...we can handle all that. I'm not looking for a check from the government every month. We've never had any problem with food, utilities, etc... I'm just worried about having to come up with all this $$ for medical bills.

Also, I am not against abortion. However, I do not believe in it. It may be a good thing in some situations, but not for me. No way. I can't even imagine. I'll go broke first, gladly.

Same thing with adoption, I could never imagine it. Again, the perfect answer in some situations, but not here. I don't know what my impression that I reflect is, but we've been married for 4 years, have a wonderful home, and a wonderful relationship. Plus, I've already told the Grandparents, LOL.

We're just going to try to work it out....maybe sell the dog, kitchen table, tv, used socks, etc...you know, just try to pay the bills, LOL. I STILL HAVE NO CLUE!
wacko.gif

I can say your priorities will change they have to
wink.gif
and you may sacrifice some of the things you think you can't or wouldn't......so you may find yourself horseless, hobbyless, etc. for a period of time
wink.gif

Latest posts

Back