Here's the latest insurance dealings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
Well, it's been over two months now since I've had all these cancer treatments. The insurance company has flatly denied my surgeon's bill. They said the doctor's office didn't pre-certify the procedure. The doctor's office said they called the insurance company but were told this procedure didn't need a pre-certification. And I'm caught in the middle. So, naturally, I've filed for an appeal of the ruling. I've been on the phone once a week with Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield and with my surgeon's office, as well. I cannot tell you how much stress this is putting me under.

So last weekend I get a letter saying that my husband has filed an appeal on my behalf. Um.....he has never spoken with the insurance company so I now have two issues. 1) How can they process a claim properly if they don't have any idea who they are talking to? and 2) What gives them the right to talk to anyone else about my care and treatment? Now, I live with my husband, I know for a fact he has never spoken to them, but I've got letters (not one, mind you, but two letters) from them stating they spoke to him. So I've made a copy of these letters and sent them to the Kentucky Insurance.gov people and filed a grievance. And I've used the magic buzz words "invasion of privacy" and the HIPAA act. Turns out Anthem cannot talk to anyone but me or my providers about my care and treatment. The consumer watchdog guy said this is a HUGE problem for Anthem.

Now, I really don't want to cause anyone any problems. All I want is to have my bills paid. That's why we have insurance. And there is a ......wait for it......sitting down?.........$64,000 bill at Anthem even as I type for all the radiation treatments. Now, personally, I don't think I'm worth that kind of money. And while I think, given enough time, I may be able to pay the surgeon, there is no way on earth I would ever be able to come up with the money for the radiation treatments. So I'm hoping I don't have to go thru this with Anthem again over this HUGE bill.

And, as a direct result of all the stress, I can't eat or sleep. Sigh. Good news is, I've lost weight. Bad news is that I'm severely depressed and a real pain in the neck to live with. I've become pretty much non-verbal and am on the verge of tears constantly. I've also terminated all tests, doctor visits, drugs, everything as they are just a daily reminder of all the constant battle with the insurance company. And I worry that, at any time, some or all of these ongoing tests will simply be denied.

Pretty much I've filed my appeal, filed a complaint against Anthem and now I've washed my hands of the whole affair. It's still in the back of my mind on a daily basis, as is the constant fear of what if today is the day my cancer returns. Pretty much I'm not doing too well emotionally.

I know this is long, I just had to vent. I'm so frustrated with Anthem, and depressed that I may have incurred all these expenses for my husband to worry about. It's quite overwhelming, actually.

I am so sorry to hear of this update Miss Dixie.

All I know to do is pray for you, and so I do and will.

Bb

So sorry that you are going through this. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

I am so sorry to hear about the added stress you have been dealing with. Saying a prayer for you, as hard as it is, sometimes all we can do is say a prayer, believe it will work out, and don't lose faith. It doesn't always work out on our timeline the way we want it to, but have faith, it will work out. (((((((HUGS))))))))

Stress is just what you dont need, so sorry this has happened to you. Will be adding you to my prayers too.

((((HUGS))))

Latest posts

Back