Sleeplessness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
I should start off by stating that I've ALWAYS had difficulties falling asleep. As a child I can remember hearing our clock strike the hours forever before I finally fell asleep. As I've aged (ahem), sleeping has become much more difficult. And since our accident in July, it has become nearly impossible. (I'm not sure if the two are related or not.) But just to be sure this is not a physical thing, I've been to the OB/GYN, had a mammogram and even a colonoscopy. All have been normal (what??? me - normal and in the same sentence??? they don't know me very well, do they?) But I digress.

Hubby and I have been in seperate bedrooms for 6 months now and I HATE that. We are retired, we want to go visit our grandbaby and take a cruise but I refuse because I can't stand the thought that he'll be snoozing along just fine and I'll be sitting up next to him all night, wide awake. It makes me very sad and I've spent many a sleepless night literally crying about it.

Finally yesterday I went to my general practice guy. I showed him all the over the counter stuff I have been trying (which didn't work) and he gave me a script for Ambien. I get home and immediately read all the stuff about it. Seems like my biggest problem might be making phone calls I don't remember and cooking and eating a meal at night and not remembering it. How funny is that??? Doctor says I should see results in as little as four days.

So last night I take the pill at 9:30, which is about 30 minutes before my bed time. I didn't feel drowsy like I thought but I believe I fell asleep pretty quickly. Of course I woke up at 4:30 am, but that's ok. At least I slept. I am hopeful that by this weekend I will have enough in my system to sleep like a normal person (oh, here is that word "normal" again....geez LOL) I'm not groggy this morning so that's a good thing, also.

Ultimately, all I really want is to have my husband in the bed next to me and to sleep at night like everyone else in the world. Of course my house may not be as clean as it has been because when I have really bad nights, I get up and clean like the white tornado. I mean, I clean EVERYTHING in a single room. I'll spend hours at it. (Like there is anything else to do at 2:00 in the morning.)

So I'm now on an ambian a day for the forseeable future. I'll keep you informed of any side effects.

Good luck, I know a coworker I once had did very well with it. Her biggest issue was making sure she allowed herself enough rest time if she was to take it.

I know 2 people on Ambien and they are fine with it.

Do you not sleep in the same bed with your husband because he snores or because of movement? The movement can be dealt with if you have the right mattress. Like an iComfort or Tempurpedic. You do not feel any movement from the other person at all. You can also get the mattress in a split version king.

No, we sleep apart because he falls asleep the second his head hits the pillow. All that does is makes me mad. Then I start being upset with myself because he's asleep and I'm not. And it just escalates from there. I end up on the sofa. It's just easier this way until I get this no sleeping thing under control.

I like you can't sleep. My brain doesn't turn off to go into sleep-mode. I take ambien CR and that is the only way I can sleep. As long as you go right to bed after you take it. I sometimes take it and veg infront of the tv. My husband and son know when I am on ambien as I will ramble on about things. I have ordered things from the shopping channels and not remembered that I ordered them (fews days later when they come). I am not to be trusted near the computer at all either since I type things on FB or order something...etc.

It is a wonderful thing for people that can't sleep.

I too have difficulties sleeping. I never tried any sleep aids though, it wasnt that severe. It used to be horrible, but for the past couple of years not so much. My brain never turns off and I am constantly thinking. One thing that has helped is making sure 'everything' is done before going to bed.. Example: for me I know I won't sleep unless my house is clean. I must vacuum, dust, clean countertops, etc every night. I also double check light switches, stove knobs, etc..

It wasnt uncommon for me to wake up on the floor, opposite end of the bed or on the couch without any memory of getting there. Thankfully I haven't had any of those issues in a while.

I know people on Ambien and they must allow enough sleep time or they still feel zoned out the next day.

I also take Ambien, and have now for a few years. I work a graveyard shift and I just can't sleep. It has worked great for me.... But I still don't get "hours" of sleep. But the sleep that I do get, is a deep sleep (4-5 hours) and it seems to be enough for me.

I have tried all the over the counter sleep aids, none of that works.

Good luck, I hope it works for you

I have trouble falling asleep too-- It takes me at least an hour or two which seems like hours and sometime I'll lay in bed till 1am until I finally fall asleep. And I'm getting in bed at about 9pm. I found that if I sleep in a different bed/on the couch/on the floor, I fall asleep alot faster so when I'm having alot of trouble sleeping, I'll go to the couch or something--Good luck!

There are places you can go to have sleep studies done Think theyh are called sleep centers..I had 1 done at my local hospital ordered by my doctor.I am fine-no problems.Sorry you are having difficulties.Hope you can find a solution.

I have been taking sleep aids for years, only way I can fall asleep and stay asleep.

Right now I take Ambien and Temazapam and that combo is working very well for me.

Hi dixie_belle,

Several years ago, when my mom died, my doctor put me on Effexor for anxiety. I was also having problems sleeping. I found a side effect of the effexor was that I had no more problems getting to sleep. (one could say, alternatively, that it was anxiety keeping me awake, and while that might be true, one of the primary actions of effexor is to keep a higher amount of seratonin available in the brain, and one of the functions of seratonin involves sleep regulation)

Anyways, it's something to consider. I actually ended up going off it because I was sleeping too much....if the opportunity arose, I went to sleep! And I've talked to others who have been on Effexor, and they also went from not being able to sleep, to falling asleep almost immediately.

Wendy

I take Effexor 3x a day and I do get a little sleepy sometimes. It is a great thing to take for anxiety and depression as I have. Also helps with the moods swings
default_new_let_it_all_out.gif
I was having from the thing called "menopause"

Actually, Effexor is supposed to help out with many side effects of menopause....including decreasing the frequency and severity of hot flashes. In many people, it also helps decrease or eliminate migraines, which is another effect that I experienced (and appreciated!) And a current thought in research is that seratonin slows aging of the brain. I'm sure alot of people have negative side effects, as well, but I never noticed any.

OK, after three nights I am LOVING this ambien. ahhhhhhhhhhh. I sleep like a baby. In fact, I can't wait until 9:30 to take the pill so I can sleep. So far, I haven't shopped at night, driven or cooked and eaten a meal (all side effects listed on the bottle. LOL). I am going to wait a couple of more days to make sure it's in my system fully and then on Monday night, hubby is coming back to bed with me. I'm so excited (so is he). If this works it means we can actually go on a vacation this summer, go see our grand daughter in Texas, and just travel and do the things we had planned when we retired. Not to mention the fact that I don't walk around like a zombie all day, just dog tired.

And, with my insurance, there is no co-pay. So effectively the pills don't cost me anything (other than the cost of my health insurance which I would have to pay anyway). So now I'm wondering why in the world I waited years to see someone. I am rather resigned to the fact that I will have to take one of these probably every day for the rest of my life, but I can live with that. It's so much better than this not sleeping thing.

I go to bed now and fall asleep in a fairly short time. And I sleep thru the entire night. I get up around 7:30 or so. WOW. The world is a nicer place on a full night's sleep.

Just be careful! Don't ever take an overdose or you might not wake up! I was taking some Tylenol that would help you fall asleep and I fell asleep like right away--I was getting too 'addicted' (No, not really ADDDICTED, but I probably shouldn't have been taking them every night) So I thought it would be best if I not take them anymore lol

I sometimes have trouble sleeping at night... but rarely have a problem taking a nap if I get the chance!

For others reading, in case it helps, we have a latex foam (like Tempurpedic) bed and that is great, I do take melatonin most nights, and listening to books helps me go to sleep. At the rist of making anyone roll their eyes, two other things make it pretty easy for me to fall asleep usually and that is saying my prayers (including what I'm thankful for -- that feels like it really relaxes me) and the kind of meditating to a place where I think I'd feel most restful (it usually involves snow and a fireplace blazing!).

I've been like that since my son was killed. Dan & I have post traumatic stress disorder.In order for me to get any kind of sleep I give myself a "mental tidy".

The way I deal with it is go through rituals and try to get my mind cleared up so I can find peace inside myself so I can get some sleep. I make sure the house is picked up and cleaned up so I won't worry about going to bed leaving a mess anywhere.I lay out my clothing for the next day and make a list so I'll know what I have to do. No eating after like 8:00PM if I can help it and no caffine drinks. No daytime napping. I also do not watch anything on tv that is violent right before bed either. Then I lay down in bed and think of only good visions, things that make me happy. Its a process.

Just an update. Been over a week now and I'm still sleeping well at night. (Life is good). Hubby came back into the bedroom on Sunday night for the first time....no problems there. Nice to have him back in the same room as me. And, my personality is coming back, full bloom. I think that little by little, it was "dampened" by constant fatigue. I mean, I was mentally foggy most of the time because I was always tired. Here I am again, making jokes, being silly. Hubby said "SHE'S BACK". I think it was so gradual we really didn't notice that I was more subdued. I'm doing more around the house, actually going out more. Life has returned to normal. (Oops, here I go again, using that word "normal" and me in the same sentence. What am I thinking???)

I'm OK with having to take medication for the rest of my life. I certainly don't want to ever stop taking it. It's nice to go to bed and sleep. Sounds silly, I know, because it's such a natural thing, but when you simply can't do it, it becomes a really big thing.

So far, no shopping at night, sleep walking or sleep cooking. LOL Although hubby does have instructions that if I get up at night to get me back into bed.

Good for you and feeling better!

I lived with a severe sleep walker for over five years.. Almost every night getting them back in bed.. Stopping them from doing things.. Like carrying the dog around, opening doors and windows.. Moving furniture -- my solid oak nightstand made it to the kitchen one night, fridge pulled away from the wall. Caught her squirting liquid soap in her mouth. I could go on and on. I learned to sleep with basically an ear and eye wide open. It was nice when she actually slept through the night.

I'm happy for you. There is nothing in the world like getting a good night's sleep when you have spent many nights awake and exhausted. My special needs daughter only slept thro the night a handful of times in the 19 years she lived at home with us. She was awake at least once and usually 2x every night and I was up with her every time for all those years. We tried every medication we could find and it didn't help her to stay asleep. She has been living in a supported living household for 3 years now and I am only just now feeling more like myself. Of course I was so accustomed to getting up every night that I continued to wake up for at least the first year. It is amazing how much more energy (and humour ;) ) you have when you are rested.

Latest posts

Back