Upcoming Knee Surgery--2 Yrs after my fall

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davie

Reaction score
I fell at work 2 years ago come this June tripping over a stupid office carpet saver that the chairs sit on. Well this one was rolled up on the floor as we were doing some remodeling in my office area. Got up to go file something, the phone on the desk rang and I turned around to go answer it and tripped over the stupid thing--left knee hit the exposed carpet spike, right one hit the hard concrete floor.

Long story short after I was refered to the first Orthopedic surgeon and seeing him for over a year and giving me those injections in your knees to improve the synovial fluid (which were painfull and did not help a darn thing) and 2 MRIs (one taken at a hospital, the other at his MRI office) on the left knee that showed nothing or at least reported nothing--should say the second one was done because I heard a pop in the leg with lots of pain--sure enough a stress fracture just below the left knee. Well this doctor said nothing more he could do with Workers Comp as I had arthritsis (sp) but he was more than willing to do a full knee replacement though my regular insurance - now what is wrong with this picture!!!
default_nono.gif

Friend suggested asking Dept of Labor for a change of physician and suggested someone to go to. They allowed me to change doctors--he is one of the best in the state. Went to see him on the 19th of April, had new MRIs done of both knees this time on the 27th. Took about a 1" stack of films to him to review.

When I saw him on the 2nd of May the bottom line was I have a Meniscus tear in both knees, the fluid the other doctor put in my knees has resulted in severe synovitis in both knees, a 2 cm loose body in the left knee, the right knee shows a dark spot they suspect is some type of hemarthrosis along with a 4.5cm ganglion cyst.

Now--my question--How did the other 2 MRIs on the left knee miss all of this???

Bottom line arthrascopic surgery on both knees to fix the medial menisci, bone scope and joint cleanup of all the "stuff" that is within the knee joint. First surgery is May 26th, will be off 10 days, 6-8 week recovery then do it all again on the other knee.

Guess my show season just went out the window, but at least the pain I've put up with the last 2 years will finally be gone.

You can't imagaine my anger at the other doctor. I'm tempted to call as ask him how much his liability insurance is and how much he wants to compensate me for what he put me through for the year of "he--double toothpicks" he put me though.
default_deadhorse2.gif
(replace the horse with a doctor)
default_torch.gif

2 years and it only took finding the right doctor and less than 2 weeks for answers.

That is so painful! Needing the surgery and having the surgery--both miserable! Hope it goes smoothly for you.

Will I see you at Ada next week? I asked the show chair to stall me near you if possible.

I had a meniscus tear repaired in my right knee last summer which went pretty well. I had the left knee done this March and it is getting better but is still not real good . Still some pain and I don't bend that knee without pain. I am still taking anti inflamatory pills as the knee still is swollen at the end of the day. Clipping is a chore when you can't bend down and foaling out mares was great fun. I looked like a catcher bending from the waist. The Dr . says a knee replacement is next. Good luck with your's. I know the pain you are going through and truly feel for you.

Now--my question--How did the other 2 MRIs on the left knee miss all of this???
Sometimes MRI's do miss things, I guess! Over three years ago my horse bucked me off and my shoulder hit a tree. For three weeks the pain got worse, and finally I went to an ortho surgeon who ordered an MRI and he said the results only showed a bit of arthritis. I was stunned! So, I went another four months, with the pain so bad that if I was riding in the car and we hit a bump I'd scream. I had to keep the arm absolutely immobile or the pain was so bad I'd start crying. I went back to the doc four months later and asked for another MRI. He was reluctant, but as I was in hysterical tears in the office he OK'd it.

When the results came back he said, "I'm just stunned! I even had to pull up the old one and check the names to be certain these were both your MRI's, but the second one shows the rotator cuff torn completely in half!" I had surgery six days later!

I feel so sorry for what you've been going through! There is nothing worse than taking a blow to the knee, and you had to take two of them, and then get no relief at all, but instead have a doctor mess it up for two years. I sure hope the surgeries will take care of the pain and get you back on the right track.

Don't take this the wrong way, as no one *wants* to be told they have something wrong and need surgery, but in a way weren't you happy to find out that you were right all along and something just wasn't right? It's like being vindicated! I felt that way about my shoulder. After the first MRI showed nothing, I was afraid my family and friends would think it was all in my head! Finally, I was able to get some real pain relief, and that's what you'll get, too.

OMG I almsot didn't read this post, glad I did. I feel really bad for you and what you are going through.

Last year I had major abdominal surgery in January, talked the doctor into at least letting me feed horses after three months, I was supposed to be down for six. Got a clean bill of health after the six month check up and wouldn't you know I stepped in a hole by my indoor that was left from snow removal the previous winter, smashed my face, broke my hand and tore the miniscus in my left knee. I refused to go to any doctor with my face all swollen and bruised but after five days I couldn't take the pain in my hand anymore. It was put in a cast. I didn't know I tore the miniscus in my knee just thought it was sore and bruised as I also have arthritis and the right knee has already been replaced. Well, a couple of days after my hand was put in a cast I was walking from the barn to the house and my left knee just gave out, had to get help to get in, sat down for a few minutes it went away. Started to cook dinner it went out again, by this time I'm in a panic, told hubby to get my cane which I use when my arthritis acts up, was fine the rest of the night. He fed horses the next morning. I babied it the next day and helped feed horses that night, well the next morning while feeding it went out again, I drove myself to the hospital ER thinking they would do all the testing needed, all the doctor told me after four hours was mild arthritis. Now mind you I have had arthritis for years I know it is something more, but try telling an ER doctor that. Went home called my ortho doctor and made an appointment, had to wait five days for hopitaliztion to OK MRI, it showed a torn miniscus. The only way to fix it is surgery. The end of this story is, I still have it, sometimes it feels like someone is sticking needles in the back of my knee, but I'm still funtioning although I need to see the doctor every three months for assesment.

Good luck with you surgery, please post when it is done and let us know how it goes.

I have bad knees, finally had arthroscopic on Rt last Oct after having Euflexxa injections in both knees....which did not help, changed orthos and had the Oct. Surgery......and still having problems, bone on bone. He will not due the injections like first docs did as he feels they are a waist of time. Some good days some bad, lower back and left hip now effected........some times I think Drs are just 'practicing' medicine. This dr does not want to do a knee replacement until I am 60......and hurting is not in my book.......what next? Yes part of it is arthirtis but There has got to be an answer out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
BBH

Try finding an ortho that will do it now. Have a girlfriend who waited until she was bone on bone and everything was so much harder for her to recover. She is 61. She said she would have had it done a long time ago if she could have-bone on bone is extremely painful. I also had those shots and they did absolutely nothing and not fun to have done that is for sure.

Trying to get the new chainlink fence installed before the first surgery so I can just let the house dogs out the front door and they can go down the steps without me taking them. Right now the fence is just cattle panel fencing and these guys are small enought to walk through the squares of the fence and the yard will be bigger with the new chainlink. Would hate to try and negoiate 6 stairs on direction and 8 the other to get off the porch unless I just had too.

Still trying to work out a schedule to keep the horses feed with friends and neighbors. I'm hoping I'll be doing well enough to go feed once I go back to work which doctors says will be 10 days after surgery.

I have had three sx in the rt knee due to the first being a meniscus tear. About every three years I have to have a arthroscopic done to shave the scar tissue off. I have a good doc in Wichita. He did say once you have something like this done you will have issues with the scarring and adhesions. The last one was done in 2006 several weeks prior to my car accident and it has been an uphill fight with sx ever since. The knees are the worst for the pain though...Good Luck to you!

It is no fun...trip to Wally World just makes me nuts, I get around just have to rest inbetween what I used to be able to do. Ibuprofen and heating pad etc.....ice, wahtever I need to do. Had 4 surgeries last year and the knee was the worse, alot of folks say to get knee done, well working full time and the horse events you have to plan.....so i may sign up for knee replacement mid Dec......just plugging along and yes have thougth of getting even a 3rd opinion but the insurance co. doesn't like that .....

Back