Walking/Hiking with our minis and ponies - Mile Tracker!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 2 miles with Rowan today. Ground driving with the bridle and surcingle, lots of trotting. We saw a flock of turkeys too!
Do you typically ground drive with a bridle or can you use a halter? I want to start teaching Squirt how to ground drive because we got a surcingle, but don't have a bridle.....

I can definitely use a halter and often do - usually with just one line though (it's a rope halter). He is way, way softer in the bridle than the halter still, and also he seems to feel that the bridle means "work" whereas the halter means "let's see what she'll let me get away with", so it's a lot less work for me to use the bridle! But you can definitely use two lines on a halter with the surcingle and see how it goes. I just think Rowan was never taught to give at all to pressure on a halter so that's why he's such a bull with it. Big improvements, but he will still give a good pull once in a while.

Rain, rain go away, my little ponies want to come out and play 🤣

Oct 11
Walk Breezy 1 mile

Oct 12
Walk Thunder 1 mile before the rain started ystrdy

It's so nice, especially in the fall! The bugs are finally winding down (we have had a weirdly warm October so far but it's cooling off at last), I only got one mosquito bite yesterday. :)

Hopefully there will be no strangles quarantine at my barn EVER AGAIN, that kept us off the trails for three months last year.

Maybe 1.5 miles for Rowan today. Towards the end we ran into someone from a neighboring barn on a 16h TWH who thought Rowan was the absolute scariest thing he had ever seen, he spun and tried to bolt, then after she rode past us, he spun again and tried to charge us! Rowan was unfazed but it's a good thing I wasn't in the cart, the horse's head might have popped right off, I'm sure he's never seen THAT before. But I'm sure this is why minis think they own the planet. :)

Latest posts

Back