visiting sold horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevann

Reaction score
I made a trip today to visit several of my previously sold foals.The first 2 were fine colt was gelded and filly is doing great.The next stop the woman was not returning my phone calls.I just showed up at her house&didn't see DANDY.He was the sweetest black&white colt from my 2006 crop and the 1 everybody wanted because he was like a big puppy following everybody around.buyer came out and said"I was going to call you , but didn't know how to tell you.I knew INSTANTLY that he was dead.He had been beat up several months ago by a Bargain,Auction special that the buyer got to keep him company.My farrier told me this week he didn't look real good.She came home from work(she is gone all day and many nights)and said the wound was open.Vet told her it had healed outside, but not inside.He had to be put down.How could no one notice that the little guy was not right?He had to be in pain to be that far gone.You know when these animals are not feeling well just like you notice your human kids.I feel so bad that I didn't go get him when she told me he was injured.She left her husband to care for him and I just don't think he paid enough attention to what was going on.Rest in peace, sweet little Dandy.This year I am really fine tuning my sales requirements. She was going to get another form me(like that will ever happen) If you want to buy 1 of my Minis, you better be prepared for lots of questions and lots of references and I will COME VISIT and if you are not doing something correctly I WILL LET YOU KNOW!! I am so angy and so very upset about this little guy.I wish I had let another lady who really wanted him have him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a trip today to visit several of my previously sold foals.The first 2 were fine colt was gelded and filly is doing great.The next stop the woman was not returning my phone calls.I just showed up at her house&didn't see DANDY.He was the sweetest black&white colt from my 2006 crop and the 1 everybody wanted because he was like a big puppy following everybody around.buyer came out and said"I was going to call you , but didn't know how to tell you.I knew INSTANTLY that he was dead.He had been beat up several months ago by a Bargain,Auction special that the buyer got to keep him company.My farrier told me this week he didn't look real good.She came home from work(she is gone all day and many nights)and said the wound was open.Vet told her it had healed outside, but not inside.He had to be put down.How could no one notice that the little guy was not right?He had to be in pain to be that far gone.You know when these animals are not feeling well just like you notice your human kids.I feel so bad that I didn't go get him when she told me he was injured.She left her husband to care for him and I just don't think he paid enough attention to what was going on.Rest in peace, sweet little Dandy.This year I am really fine tuning my sales requirements. She was going to get another form me(like that will ever happen) If you want to buy 1 of my Minis, you better be prepared for lots of questions and lots of references and I will COME VISIT and if you are not doing something correctly I WILL LET YOU KNOW!! I am so angy and so very upset about this little guy.I wish I had let another lady who really wanted him have him.

default_sad.png
GEEZ !!!! That just makes me sick. I am so sorry for your little guy. God Bless him.

:no: I'm so sorry about Danny. What a sad thing to find... And with no notice, or reply or anything :no:

I have yet to ever sell a horse and I am so glad. I would worry terribly about the horses well being. But as it is a business, higher sales requirements are the only thing we can really do. Talk to Marty, She is amazing at it!

Hurts doesn't it? I know, I have watched them come and go and the only thing I know to tell you is to ask and educate. After that, I think you have to let go knowing you did the best you could. I'm sorry for the loss of Dandy.

That is ignorance and disgusting that she did not know. What a shame. Makes one not to want to sell foals.

Joyce

You can't blame yourself for this. It's not like she said "Hi! I'd like to buy a foal that I'll ignore to the extent that I won't even know he's injured!" Buyers come on all sweet, nicey-nice, "he'll get the BEST care", etc. I think the best we can do is ask for references and then ACTUALLY contact them.

This isn't your fault! The reality is that sometimes this will happen - nobody wants it to. I'm sorry for the little guy, but now he's in peace.

It is so difficult because I really try to educate my buyers.I GIVE them a copy of the Miniature Horse book Barbara Naviaux's ,baby photos, photos of sire&dam&siblings, feed bagged enough for 14 meals, hay, shot worming and farrier records, very detailed directions, my 24/7 phone number and call to check on them.I send my farrier if they don't have 1 and make sure they have a vet before the Minis leave here.I even guarantee to buy the horse back if they ever get rid of it. Take time payments etc. I was looking at Dandy's baby photos today.He was just such a sweetie. I don't know what else to do.It has just been a bad few weeks.I lost a beautiful filly 2 months early and just feel like it is time to quit, but I love the babies.Had a sick yearling yesterday with a reaction to worming we think.Vet couldn't find anything else.I knew by looking at her and watching her that she wasn't feeling well.My whole life seems to rerolve around the well being of my Minis and dogs.I LOVE MY ANIMALS. I like them better than lots of the people I know including some family members.

This is EXACTLY the reason I am no longer breeding. You can pick the first home (although, I am sorry it didn't work out this time for you), but after that, you never know where they go. And, unfortunately, most people can't afford to buy ALL their horses back if it doesn't work out. It just hurt too much to see them go.

I know how you feel, and I'm SO sorry! :no:

Pam

I know exactly how you feel, and it is hard. We sold a yearling in 2005 and asked all the right questions, she had all the right answers. But our colt did not live more than 24 hours at most after arriving at his new home. I was heart broke and upset after that. I still couldn't believe that someone would pay that much for a horse, spend the cash to have it transported and not take all the precautions with it after getting it. :no: It just boggles the mind what people will do.

I think maybe I need to take a year off breeding and see what happens.I really need to get my faith in mankind restored.I am beginning to think we have really become a THROWAWAY or DISPOSABLE SOCIETY especially when it comes to animals.Look at all the poor lost souls in shelters just because somebody got tired of the cat or dog. I have finally come to the conclusion that after 20 years in the Mini business I will never make money or even break even in the animal business of any kind.I care too much about the welfare of each one and let my heart rule my wallet. To me each one is special and unique., even though I like some better than others.I have 1 mare I really want to sell, but she is so dominant if she went to someone with a big herd, others would suffer because she would talke all the food and shelter.I just have to find the right situation for her or she stays here.She is a baby making machine.8 babies in a row and no problems.And a black&white blue eyed homozygous tobiano to boot.But boy does she have an attitude.

I'm sorry to hear about Dandy. That's a breeders worst fear. :no: I just sold my first a few months ago and have been sitting on my hands trying not to be a pest! I haven't heard from them since the email that he made it there safely.....now I think I'll just pop them a line and see how he's doing.

I'm sorry to hear about Dandy. That's a breeders worst fear. :no: I just sold my first a few months ago and have been sitting on my hands trying not to be a pest! I haven't heard from them since the email that he made it there safely.....now I think I'll just pop them a line and see how he's doing.
Never a bad idea. I try to beat my horses' breeder/sellers to it but I never mind getting those
default_yes.gif
:

I am so sorry for the loss of your dear little one. I hope I never have to feel your sorry. I bought my dear little colts three years this comming May. I email the breeder a few times a year to let him know how well the colts are doing and how much I love them. There are a few good people out there buying minis and I sure am glad people like you and my breeder trust us with your precious minis. FLFlyingW

I'm so sorry to hear about little Dandy - we're located in Maryland (Harford County) and if you (or anyone) ever need a horse checked up on (or a site check done before allowing a horse to go to a new owner) in the MD area or anywhere in the southern parts of PA, please don't hesitate to contact us. We do both for all of our adopted horses and we would have absolutely no problem doing it for anyone else that needs to check in on one of their "kids".

Prayers being said for Dandy, and again, I'm so sorry.

I've been struggling with wether to breed or not. I had my first baby here last summer and I swore if it was a colt it was for sale. I love the little guy! I can't sell him.

I'm not good at selling things, I get so attached (even with cars). I still wonder how my quarter horse gelding is, I haven't seen him for 2 years but I still think about him all the time. How does one detach themselves so parting with them is easier?

And how many times they'll change homes in their lives. Good owners.......bad owners. I can't keep them all, so what to do?

I'm still trying to decide.

I'm so sorry that you lost your little one. You did your best to place him in a good home, and he knew your love.

Lee

Oh Bev, I am so sorry to hear this. It just breaks my heart that we do all that we can to make sure the babies are safe and loved, and sometimes it still isn't enough. Run free little Dandy.

Latest posts

Back