*Update* Robin most likely is not pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoebeq

Reaction score
Okay, so some of you may know about my new miniature mare, Robin. I am questioning if she is pregnant. She has been with a now 2 year old stud cold for the past year. The vet is coming out soon, hopefully today, if the weather is good, but I just have a question about seeing foal movement.

I have been sitting out and watching her after I throw hay. I have seen a couple of jerky movements, but they almost seemed slightly rythmic, which to me doesn't seem like it would be foal movement. My question is when they are eating, can their belly move in quick jerky motions? Or would this possibly be a foal?

This pic shows were I see the movements...

Robinbellymovement.jpg

Thanks for any and all advice you can give me!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It is hard to see when they are eating as their muscles move a lot, also their polar bear coat doesn't help but saying that I did see a foal moving today and my mare is only at 275 days. it is easier when they drink as the cold water often makes the foal move. I have one mare that is very unhappy about having her tummy touched so I do it whilst brushing her.

It is hard to see when they are eating as their muscles move a lot, also their polar bear coat doesn't help but saying that I did see a foal moving today and my mare is only at 275 days. it is easier when they drink as the cold water often makes the foal move. I have one mare that is very unhappy about having her tummy touched so I do it whilst brushing her.

Yeah, it is hard to tell when she is eating. I didn't think about waiting for her to drink. This girl is so private about everything. I have not seen her pee or drink since she got here almost 2 weeks ago. I am sure she is doing it, but she just waits till I am not out there
default_wacko.png

She doesn't like me to mess with her tummy, but yesterday, I was brushing her and she didn't get upset when the brush went down there...even touched her udders with it. But, as soon as I used my hand, she got all antsy in her pantsy...

Bless her, she must of had it rough. Just keep up the good work and she will soon settle down. If you have time to spare just take a chair into the corral and sit and watch her. I do this with mine and they are soon curious. I take something to eat like crisps with a nice noisy packet and this usually does the trick.

Yeah, they are both very nosey. She will come up when I am in there, and she lets me scratch her and love on her. It is just her lower belly...she gets annoyed when I go too far back.

I was out there just sitting in the corral with them for the past 30 minutes. Batman is a nosey little turd. He seems to need some manners in personal, lol.

Can't comment on the foal movement, but I did have a mare that I was working with for a class last spring who was a holy terror when it cam to touching her belly. She actually drug the instructor and the TA down the barn aisle, nearly taking out the whole class as she went. She also liked to kick out with both hind legs, nailed the wall a few times, luckily missed the students heads
default_rolleyes.gif
I must be a glutton for punishment as I volunteered to take her as my horse for the semester. The first two sessions I had someone to hold her while I groomed her. We put her in a stall, backed her up against a wall, and I started out grooming her neck , which she really enjoyed. I slowly worked my way back, if she would get touchy I would just leave my hand there until she quit fighting it, then I would give her neck a scratch, praise her, and keep working my way back. She was a very flexible mare, nearly kicked my hand a couple of times that first day, but I just stayed up by her shoulder out of the danger zone and stayed calm about it. The second time I worked with her she was much better, and by the third she was greatly improved. After just a few sessions I could curry her belly without her throwing a fit, it was still not her favorite place to be brushed, but she tolerated it well and recieved lots of praise when she allowed me to touch her. (I had to go through a similar process for picking her feet too)

I would tie your mare up fairly short so she cannot dance around too much, stand by her sholder so she can't kick you, and just lay your hand on her belly until she accepts it. Start out where she is comfortable and gradually work your way back, make it enjoyable, reward her for doing the right thing, and I'll bet she become much more accepting very quickly. She has the advantage of liking people to begin with, this mare I work with was a bit of a nutcase and really didn't care for people in the first place
default_rolleyes.gif

Can't comment on the foal movement, but I did have a mare that I was working with for a class last spring who was a holy terror when it cam to touching her belly. She actually drug the instructor and the TA down the barn aisle, nearly taking out the whole class as she went. She also liked to kick out with both hind legs, nailed the wall a few times, luckily missed the students heads
default_rolleyes.gif
I must be a glutton for punishment as I volunteered to take her as my horse for the semester. The first two sessions I had someone to hold her while I groomed her. We put her in a stall, backed her up against a wall, and I started out grooming her neck , which she really enjoyed. I slowly worked my way back, if she would get touchy I would just leave my hand there until she quit fighting it, then I would give her neck a scratch, praise her, and keep working my way back. She was a very flexible mare, nearly kicked my hand a couple of times that first day, but I just stayed up by her shoulder out of the danger zone and stayed calm about it. The second time I worked with her she was much better, and by the third she was greatly improved. After just a few sessions I could curry her belly without her throwing a fit, it was still not her favorite place to be brushed, but she tolerated it well and recieved lots of praise when she allowed me to touch her. (I had to go through a similar process for picking her feet too)

I would tie your mare up fairly short so she cannot dance around too much, stand by her sholder so she can't kick you, and just lay your hand on her belly until she accepts it. Start out where she is comfortable and gradually work your way back, make it enjoyable, reward her for doing the right thing, and I'll bet she become much more accepting very quickly. She has the advantage of liking people to begin with, this mare I work with was a bit of a nutcase and really didn't care for people in the first place
default_rolleyes.gif
Thanks for the advice. This is kind of what I have been doing. She will get squirmy but I will hold her steady and keep my hand there until she calms. Then I talk to her and tell her she is good and give her some scratches. She is definitely doing better with me, but she can still get cranky with me when she wants to, lol. Luckily, she doesn't have a bad attitude. She really is a very sweet and tolerant girl. She just doesn't like her udders or anything near it messed with...

Two of my pregnant mares are the very same way
default_yes.gif
. When I first got them neither cared to have their tummies touched but as they have went further along they are quite touchy. The one that should foal soon will kick the heck out of you when you try to touch her udder. She is letting me brush her there though. Poor thing she looks so tired. The other one is beginning to not like her tummy touched and now just throws a fit when I try to brush her tail. She used to just stand still but not now. She even rears up.

By the way I love your minis, very cute!

Two of my pregnant mares are the very same way
default_yes.gif
. When I first got them neither cared to have their tummies touched but as they have went further along they are quite touchy. The one that should foal soon will kick the heck out of you when you try to touch her udder. She is letting me brush her there though. Poor thing she looks so tired. The other one is beginning to not like her tummy touched and now just throws a fit when I try to brush her tail. She used to just stand still but not now. She even rears up.

By the way I love your minis, very cute!
Thanks! :D I am fortunate that Robin just kind of dances and sometimes she will kick a back foot forward like she is getting at a fly, lol.

I was wondering the same thing. I "think" I have felt the babies kick at least hope thats what it was. I felt like a big jerking sensation on like the mares back bone near but area and sometimes past rib cage. The one mare from the first time I put her with the stallion is on day 297 she is starting to look like she dropped and is loosening up some and getting a small bag. This will be my 3rd baby. I had 1 last year and 1 the prev. year both of those girls had babies before. The girls that are expecting this year are all new moms. One I don't think is preg at all as she doesn't look it. The person I got her from said she could be due anytime now til march. Has anyone had one that didn't look preg.?

Has anyone had one that didn't look preg.?
A few years back we bought a mare that was not supposed to be pregnant. They supposedly hadn't even tried to breed her. She didn't look in foal, no prior signs. One day we came out to find a solid black colt in the stall with her! We got incredibly luck that everything went ok. Now I keep a super sharp eye on new horses we buy because you never know!

Did the vet come out? Waiting to hear the news!
default_smile.png

Did the vet come out? Waiting to hear the news!
default_smile.png

No
default_sad.png
I didn't hear from her yesterday afternoon. I am guessing it was getting too dark by the time she got on her way home. Her office is open till 5:30 and it is dark by 6:30 right now and takes about 30 minutes to get from her office to my house. So, if she was held up for any reason, she wouldn't have been able to make it before dark. I am not pushing her to hurry since she is doing this for free, lol
default_biggrin.png

The weather is supposed to be beautiful and warm next week, so I would say I should know something within the next week. Trust me you guys will be some of the first to hear as soon as I know anything
default_yes.gif

Well, I tied her up this afternoon while she ate. She was surprisingly tolerant of my hand on her belly
default_smile.png

Anyway, I was able to hold my hand right infront of her udders. I did feel slight movement. I didn't stay out more than 3 or 4 minutes, because I am still feeling like poop on a stick. Could that just be gut movement as well?? Or if it is that low, would it pretty much only be a foal?

Thanks for all of the help!!

Well, I tied her up this afternoon while she ate. She was surprisingly tolerant of my hand on her belly
default_smile.png

Anyway, I was able to hold my hand right infront of her udders. I did feel slight movement. I didn't stay out more than 3 or 4 minutes, because I am still feeling like poop on a stick. Could that just be gut movement as well?? Or if it is that low, would it pretty much only be a foal?

Thanks for all of the help!!
The other night I actually felt a kick when I was brushing and rubbing my mare's belly. It was a profound kick.
default_yes.gif

Hmmm...this is driving me nuts, lol. I hope the vet gets out here this week!

A few years back we bought a mare that was not supposed to be pregnant. They supposedly hadn't even tried to breed her. She didn't look in foal, no prior signs. One day we came out to find a solid black colt in the stall with her! We got incredibly luck that everything went ok. Now I keep a super sharp eye on new horses we buy because you never know!

The mare didn't look preg at all? that is how this one is. do you have any photos of her? I am hoping for a baby with her but not counting on it. As far as movement how does one know the difference. sometimes I feel what I think are quick jerks or small kicks actually you can see the movement lifting up the mares rump. foal or gut? I have a hard time feeling for my dogs pups.

Well, since it popped back up, I figured I would give a little update. I spoke with the vet today. She didn't get done with her day till 6:30PM on Friday, and by then it was dark out.

She is planning to come Wednesday afternoon now. I offered to pay her to come out in the morning if that would be easier, but she said it wasn't necessary, that she should be able to come out then
default_smile.png

Here's hoping!! Fingers crossed for Wednesday afternoon!
default_yes.gif

the suspense is killing me, tell your vet to hurry up as we are dying to know
footinmouth.gif

Do you have a way to get the horse to the vet? I didn't think before but had you taken the horse to them, you'd be seen faster and it would also save a farm call fee (although you said they are doing it for free - which is why you are having to wait so long for her to do you a favor)

Latest posts

Back