*Update* Robin most likely is not pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh well, now you will have to find another way to get a new mini without upsetting hubby
shutup.gif

Why do you have to wait until the nights are warmer to geld Batman? Did your vet not mention that she could do a blood test to check for pregnancy? If you don't want Robin to turn up pregnant then separate the two horses today.

Blood tests are very unreliable unless you know the exact gestation of your mare to do it in the right time frame...the op does not know how far along robin would be if she is pregnant.

If it is dropping below freezing at night, I agree that it needs to be warmer to do the gelding. The op does not have a heated barn or a trailer to bring him in.

Lol...nice
default_smile.png

Well, the vet came out tonight. The ultrasound was useless. It wasn't one of the longer "probe" ones. She kind of used two fingers to guide it and it didn't work. She did a sort of external palpation that should allow her to feel a foal if there is one...she didn't feel anything. She thinks that she is just fat. She isn't saying that she definitely isn't pregnant, but she is pretty sure she is just fat.

On a different note, she wants to wait to geld Batman until the nights warm up a little more.

So, there you go...Robin most likely is not pregnant
default_smile.png
I will still bee checking her every once in a while, just in case though, lol
default_wink.png

I am sorry that she may not be pregnant. I had a mini mare who was palped like your mare. Vet said no foal and 3 months later, she foaled ...soo you can't always relie on that either. If you want to try the ultra-sound again just pm me and I will guide your vet to some other vets I know who are successful with is. They took a small sized pfc pipe just big enough to go around the cord of the ultra-sound wand. Cut it down the middle and strapped it to the wand cord with duck tape. Works great for seeing further than they could before.

Good luck,

Jenny

Why do you have to wait until the nights are warmer to geld Batman? Did your vet not mention that she could do a blood test to check for pregnancy? If you don't want Robin to turn up pregnant then separate the two horses today.
I agree!

Most people prefer to geld before it gets warm! Warm weather brings out the FLIES! Flies and open wounds (gelding)

Oh well, now you will have to find another way to get a new mini without upsetting hubby
shutup.gif
Lol...I know, right?

And if Robin is not and you are keeping Batman and Robin in the same pen she could be by the time your vet gelds Batman
This is very true
default_wink.png

Vet told me that the anesthesia drops their body temp, so she wants to wait till the night are a little warmer to make sure he doesn't get sick.

As far as the blood test, OHMT pretty much hit the nail on the head
default_smile.png

I don't have a problem with her being pregnant. If she gets that way before Batman is gelded then it happens, and I can deal with it.

Blood tests are very unreliable unless you know the exact gestation of your mare to do it in the right time frame...the op does not know how far along robin would be if she is pregnant.

If it is dropping below freezing at night, I agree that it needs to be warmer to do the gelding. The op does not have a heated barn or a trailer to bring him in.
Exaclty right
default_smile.png

I am sorry that she may not be pregnant. I had a mini mare who was palped like your mare. Vet said no foal and 3 months later, she foaled ...soo you can't always relie on that either. If you want to try the ultra-sound again just pm me and I will guide your vet to some other vets I know who are successful with is. They took a small sized pfc pipe just big enough to go around the cord of the ultra-sound wand. Cut it down the middle and strapped it to the wand cord with duck tape. Works great for seeing further than they could before.

Good luck,

Jenny
Hmmm...that's not a bad idea...I may mention this to her! Thanks for the idea!
default_yes.gif

I agree!

Most people prefer to geld before it gets warm! Warm weather brings out the FLIES! Flies and open wounds (gelding)
When I say warm I mean we want the night time temps to stay in the 30s instead of the teens and 20s, lol. I had my two big horses gelded last year in July and we had no problems
default_smile.png
It doesn't get all that hot even in summer here. It will probably be done in April sometime, maybe May. Thanks for your concern though
default_biggrin.png

You just want him to hang on to his "bits" as long as possible so he can doodle with robin. You want a
517.gif
Waiting for the warm weather is a very weak reason, I am going to tell hubby
shutup.gif
new_rofl.gif
new_rofl.gif

You just want him to hang on to his "bits" as long as possible so he can doodle with robin. You want a
517.gif
Waiting for the warm weather is a very weak reason, I am going to tell hubby
shutup.gif
new_rofl.gif
new_rofl.gif

Lol. You got me! Only my reason is backed by the vet, so it isn't weak at all
default_wink.png
Hubby can't say a word if the vet says we should wait, lol
default_yes.gif

I hope they are not related. If you want another mini why not buy many of the unwanted ones instead of producing more.

I hope they are not related. If you want another mini why not buy many of the unwanted ones instead of producing more.

No, they are not related. I am not a person that cares to get into this argument, but I should have known there would be at least one person in the crowd, so here goes... Miniature horses around me are generally pretty expensive. I cannot afford the initial cost of many of them around me. I certainly have the money to care for one, but I cannot spend 1200 dollars on a miniature horse. I am sorry.

In case you hadn't noticed, I have no interest in breeding these two on purpose. Yes, I joke about it, but my vet REALLY DID tell me that we need to wait until it warms up some. I AM having him gelded as soon as it is safe for him. Right now, the nights are too cold and I do not have a barn. I have no interest in owning a stallion. I have no interest in breeding miniature horses.

In the mean time, I do not have a way to separate them, since everyone has been so stern in telling me that it is absolutely not safe to put them with my larger equines. I cannot afford to build a completely separate corral just so that I can separate them for the next month, until he is gelded. Basically, if she gets pregnant, I will deal with it. If she doesn't, I will be fine with that too. I am not some uneducated person just looking to make a buck off of a boy and girl mini. I have a degree in Animal Science and I am a very intellegent person. When I decide to do something, I research like crazy. I learn everything that I can about that subject. I know full well what could happen if she is bred. I understand the risks. If she does have a foal, it will have a home right here for as long as I am able to give it one. And if something ever happened to where I couldn't keep my animals, I would make sure that they went to a GREAT home.

I am fully capable of caring for my animals financially, mentally, AND physically. Thank you very much.

I have a degree in Animal Science and I am a very intellegent person. When I decide to do something, I research like crazy. I learn everything that I can about that subject. I know full well what could happen if she is bred. I understand the risks. If she does have a foal, it will have a home right here for as long as I am able to give it one. And if something ever happened to where I couldn't keep my animals, I would make sure that they went to a GREAT home.

I am fully capable of caring for my animals financially, mentally, AND physically. Thank you very much.

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Well said. I am sorry if our joking around was miss understood. I have read all your threads since you got your 2 new friends and you have said and asked everything that a true animal lover would. You can't please all the people all the time.

O.k now
new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
I have said enough.
saludando.gif

Thanks guys
default_smile.png
Like I said there is one in every group, lol. Trust me, should Robin turn up pregnant afterall, this will be her only foal
default_wink.png

In case you hadn't noticed, I have no interest in breeding these two on purpose.

In the mean time, I do not have a way to separate them, since everyone has been so stern in telling me that it is absolutely not safe to put them with my larger equines.

Basically, if she gets pregnant, I will deal with it. If she doesn't, I will be fine with that too.

Actually, based on your own post on the photo forum, you obviously DO put them in with your big equines. There they are, all running around together. So why don't you ENSURE she doesn't end up pregnant by either keeping the boy with your other horses or isolating her? It doesn't cost very much at all for a few t-posts and some combo panel. If you can't afford that, you probably shouldn't have so many mouths to feed and vet. A mare can DIE during delivery. Why in the world would you even consider risking that in this case? Personally, your statements don't add up to me.

Latest posts

Back