Update on my Gypsy Vanner mare ( one eyed mare )

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn R

Reaction score
For those that recall the story of my mare suffering a very sudden tramatic eye injury in January.....I am happy to announce that my girl Stevie will have two months of training completed and will be returning home on Monday. She has amazed me and opened my eyes to how much we as owners may label a horse that has an injury or handicap but life truely does go on for them. She is doing amazingly well, she will see what she can get away with in the ring when it comes to groundwork and thats to be expected with a three year old, but she is fabulous on the trails. Her trainer refers to her as steady Eddie. I have been on her quite a bit these last two weeks, in the ring and on the trails, her trainer even rode out on the trail with a green horse, as in his first time out on the trail. Stevie was great, did not feed off of his insecurities or spookiness at all.

Her trainer is wonderful, not only training the horse, but taking time to evalute the owners working with the horse and give instructions on what she has observed, and how to counter certain behavior. I could not ask for a more dedicated, vigilant, or knowledgable trainer.

So, once again, if down the road anyone is searching the archives because they are considering a horse that has an injury of this magnitude, or they have the unfortunate luck of the draw, and have a horse that has lost an eye due to injury.....all I can say is , take a deep breath, the guilt as an owner and "allowing it to happen" does subside to some degree, as for the horse, they can still enjoy life and have a purpose and may surpass your expectations by leaps and bounds. Remember, horses live in the moment, there is no remorse or regret, no self pitty or vanity, they do not say life was so much better before my injury, poor me, they do not mope or make excuses, life goes on and they enjoy it. MOST OF ALL don't let anyone convince you that the horse is now a throwaway or it will be impossible or unpredictable and incapable of being trained. She is my dream horse, I never expected my dreamhorse to end up having one eye, but she amazes me and has a very special place in my heart.

Her soon to be buddy Cal (Excalibur) will be coming home in a couple of weeks and I will be sure to update you all.

Thanks for letting me share.

default_aktion033.gif
default_488.gif
What an uplifting story. Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks so much for the update, Carolyn. Gypsies really are a 'can-do' breed aren't they and your girl sounds so very special. Remind me again of her breeding. I'm so glad she's coming home. You and she are going to have tremendous fun. What are your future plans for her? Don't forget to put up a page for her on your website. I am looking forward to seeing you both.

Lizzie

Thanks Guys. Lizzie she was from West Hill Ranches in NY, she is by SOL (Son of Lloyd ) and out of a BOB the Blagdon daughter. Super nice people, all vet records, vaccinations, trims ...all up to date, newer stallions tend to need to be caught up on their paperwork because of them directly importing them and needing to start the process from scratch (not a fan of that part). With that said, since I decided I want no part in breeding her or taking advantage of a free breeding to my choice of one their boys (I am just not willing to accept any risks that may or may not occur, she is part of the family), I went with a MUCH smaller farm with Cal. he was the inutero purchase (from Aurora Acres in KY). Hopefully they will have a long enjoyable and purposeful life here with us, i have no desire to be part of the breedig and selling aspect of things, had my share with the minis,kept my two favorites, other than that, just not cut out for the breeding/selling aspect of it all, my skin is just not tough enough ;) mainly for the selling and worrying part of it all.

I am probably just going to close out my web site, but i really need to post a page on facebook or somewhere. I know I scoured the web for info, experienced owners, or words of wisdom after her accident. It was hard to find info and stories out there. I am hoping this offers someone some comfort and encouragement if they should ever find themselves in my shoes. Her hair covers her eye and it is barely noticable,but I have considered rigging a hot pink eye patch to her bridle and allowing her to wear her badge with honor.

What an inspiration! She sounds like an awesome mare. Please share pics sometime.

Thanks for the reminder Carolyn. Yes, I know the background and the horses you mentioned very well, for several generations. Just a bit of trivia for you. I knew the last owner of The Lob, very well. Lob was the sire of Bob the Blagdon. The Lob is behind an enormous number of Gypsy Horses across the world. When he was very old and just two weeks before he died, I got hair from him to place in the DNA registers across the world. There are 'some', who say they owned him all his life, but it is not true. Roy Price owned him and he died with Roy. (Not to be confused with Tom Price) I have the only pictures of The Lob, just days before he died at about 32 years old. Lob was known for passing on his incredible temperament and I've seen it in his grandchildren and on down the generations.

Lizzie

I have owned a one eyed mini mare for close to 22 years now.She had only one when I got her. Apparently she lost her eye as a foal in an accident with a tarp?? Any way she was ill tempered and bossy when I got her I think because they felt guilty and just let her get away with anything she wanted. She got an attitude adjustment as soon as she got here as I was NOT ok with being kicked at or bitten! Took maybe two months and shes been a very good girl ever since. She is still the boss of all horses in her pen but she understands just fine that humans are always the boss over her and she never bothers to test that thoery anymore. She has no problems with just one eye except maybe rarely bonking her head on something that she didnt realize was on that side, or sometimes walking very close to me mostly because she is not sure how far I am when on that side. Good for you for not giving up on your beautiful girl !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lizzie, very cool insight. I always like finding out what I can on my girl and horses in her past. She came home this morning I will try to post a pic of her tomorrow, and the newest one of Cal, breeder just sent me an updated shot
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back