Update on Melody

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to see Melody this morning. She seemed so much better than she has been
default_aktion033.gif
She didn't even lay down with me which I was happy to see
default_yes.gif
She was her usual pushy self and I was very happy about that. I didn't get to talk to the vet until just a bit ago. She said that she is improving and her temp has been normal for 24 hrs now
default_aktion033.gif
She said she is still coughing a bit but that's probably from the hole in her throat from the trachea wash. She said her blood work was all over the place yesterday but then today it was normal so that's GOOD! The preliminary results are in on the trachea wash and so far all is normal. She said she would like to keep her there for at least two more days until they get the full results. They are keeping the IV antibiotics going for another day and then they will switch to oral antibiotics so that she can COME HOME
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif
I asked what happens if everything on the trachea wash comes out normal and she said that they are diagnosing it as a viral/upper res. deal
default_biggrin.png
So that means it will be covered by the insurance
default_risa8.gif
I am really hoping the trachea wash shows something though because I want to know what it was so that (as Jill mentioned earlier) there isn't a black cloud hanging over my head
default_no.gif
At any rate she is showing much improvement and I am very relieved
default_biggrin.png
Thanks so much for everyone's support through this whole deal
default_yes.gif
I don't know what I would have done without your encouragement! You guys are the best!

Oh Brandi, that is GREAT!! I am so glad she is feeling better...

Let us know what tomorrow brings, I will be checking in to see how Miss Melody is doing?

She is just the sweetest looking babydoll and I cried seeing those down pictures of her..

Missy
default_smile.png

Woo hooo that's a great update Brandi!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

It would be so cool if the insurance covered the majority of this episode. I'm hoping so for you!

[SIZE=12pt]So happy to hear good news. Go Melody - keep getting better so your mom can relax a little.[/SIZE]

Barbie

I just now read your post.My heart goes out to you and your Melody. I am so glad to hear she is doing better. keep us posted

We will have you all in our prayers.

It is a big relief to not have to worry about getting a call in the middle of the night because her temp got to high or some other awful thing! I can't wait to get her home and tucked into her stall. I know she's not completely safe yet but the improvement gives me hope
default_yes.gif

I'm so glad she's doing better! I Haven't posted here, but I've been keeping up reading and praying for you two!

Jessi

What a relief to read that Melody is doing so much better! I am so happy for you.
default_aktion033.gif

So glad to hear he is doing better!!
default_aktion033.gif
How is your pooch doing? I saw her picture on the photo forum. Poor girl with her big nose! Give it a little kiss from me and a big kiss to Melody!

default_biggrin.png
Oh Melody
default_biggrin.png

That's really good news guys. Still thinking of you.

xox Leonie xox

Wonderfull news!!
default_aktion033.gif
I will still be watching for daily updates.

Shelia B.

Such good news.

Thank you for all your posts which kept us up to date on her progress and the steps the vet was taking.

It must have been hard for you but this information is so helpful to all of us dealing with issues day to day, with our horses.

She's quite a little fighter!!!!!

In hindsight, very early in the episode, I posted regarding putting her on antibiotics anyway, even though they were not sure what it was.

Would that have done any harm????since they ended up doing that and still aren't sure what's going on???

I know.........hindsight is wonderful and we can "second guess" everything.

I am just glad she's on the mend, her pictures were heartbreaking!

You must feel like a heavy weight has been lifted
default_yes.gif

I am so glad melody is doing better, I have been following the updates on her from the start.

Yes I have wondered this too! But I figured they knew what they were doing. And I think they do but maybe she could have started getting better earlier rather then later. She has been there a week now :DOH! Hopefully she can come home tomorrow
default_yes.gif

Coming here and posting the info I am given really has been a release for me. It lets me talk it out in a silent way. And I know that whenever there is a sick little one on the forum I am always checking every 10 minutes for any updates lol. Even if they aren't your own, it still pulls at your heart.

Such good news.

Thank you for all your posts which kept us up to date on her progress and the steps the vet was taking.

It must have been hard for you but this information is so helpful to all of us dealing with issues day to day, with our horses.

She's quite a little fighter!!!!!

In hindsight, very early in the episode, I posted regarding putting her on antibiotics anyway, even though they were not sure what it was.

Would that have done any harm????since they ended up doing that and still aren't sure what's going on???

I know.........hindsight is wonderful and we can "second guess" everything.

I am just glad she's on the mend, her pictures were heartbreaking!

You must feel like a heavy weight has been lifted
default_yes.gif

I'm SO glad to hear that Melody is feeling better!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_biggrin.png

When I went to see Melody today I was kinda upset because I didn't see the improvement I had hoped for. She seemed sluggish and acted like she didn't feel great. The vet just called and gave me her daily update. She said that Melody's temperature had spiked up to 102.6 around 2:30 and we arrived around 3 so thats probably why she was acting that way. She said her temp is normal again and that she actually ripped her stall chart off the door (they have no idea how she got to it since it was on the outside of the door
default_wacko.png
) and then she reached up and ripped her IV tubes from the ceiling and tore them to pieces :DOH! . Lucky they weren't still connected to her
default_rolleyes.gif
So the vet said over all she seems to be feeling VERY WELL this evening. She said that she is acting like the Melody that everyone around there is getting to know and love
default_wub.png
But they still haven't got the results from the trachea wash yet
default_whistling.gif
She said everyone around the whole office keeps asking if they have come in because EVERYONE wants to know what she has. She is hoping that if Melody's temp stays normal over night and in to the day tomorrow that she can come home tomorrow afternoon
default_biggrin.png
So that's the update. I worked on the fencing all day today trying to get everything ready for her arrival. I have her and the colt far apart so there will be no contact whatsoever. The vet suggested that setup at least until Melody finishes her antibiotics. I also scrubbed her water bucket and feed bucket with baking soda so there aren't any germs lurking there. What a week this has been! Can I breathe yet?

Did you ask your vet about scrubbing things with a very mild bleach solution?I have never heard of baking soda used to kill germs.Is this something new?Always willing to learn new tricks here>Keep us posted.Glad she is doing better.

Not sure about killing the germs but it did a good job of cleaning them up nicely. I had read about using the baking soda somewhere on the forum. I have heard of using bleach but I am unsure of how much bleach to how much water. It would surely do a better job of disinfecting so if anyone knows please send the info my way
default_yes.gif

Did you ask your vet about scrubbing things with a very mild bleach solution?I have never heard of baking soda used to kill germs.Is this something new?Always willing to learn new tricks here>Keep us posted.Glad she is doing better.

Latest posts

Back