Update on Melody

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi*

Reaction score
Thank you all for your kind thoughts and prayers. I went to see Melody today and just got back. Her temp had spiked back up to 104. something. They gave her a dose of banamine around noon and doused her with alcohol and water when I got there and at 2 when I left her temp was down to 102. something. She seemed really happy to see me and was perkier then yesterday. For the first 40 minutes of me being there she occupied her time trying to sit in my lap and trying to eat my earrings and hair. Then she got sleepy so she decided to take a nap. She layed down next to me like she used to do when I first got her. I stayed with her for almost an hour while she napped. She would have napped longer but the tech had to come in and take her temp. When I left she started screaming and you could tell she didn't want me to go. The vet came and talked with me. She said that they are probably gonna have to start doing more blood work and other testing if her temp doesn't level out. She is baffled by the whole situation. She says that they just can't believe that a horse who has 106 temp has such spunk and attitude when they come in the stall. She said people walk by and ask why she is hooked up to all the IVs since she is acting fine. I can tell she isn't fine but to people who don't know her she seems ok. Anyways, just wanted to give an update. Nothing new. Here are some pics I took of her taking a nap. She really does look horrible in them but it was a very sweet moment and that is why I am sharing them with you guys. She looks worse then she was acting. But I think she desperatly needed that nap while I was there.

02-29-08_1354.jpg

02-29-08_1351.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear Melody's not well
default_sad.png

I am sure it made a huge difference to her that you could be there with her a while.

Prayers for her to recover quickly and {{hugs}} for you to help you hang in there! So hard when our babies are sick and no one knows how to fix them.

default_no.gif
Brandi I am so sorry that Melody is sick, I must have missed the other post as I haven't been able to be on very much lately, too busy at work. I will keep you and Melody in my thoughts and prayers for a very speedy recovery. I hope they can find out what is wrong as that is half the battle there.

God bless & hugs

Yvonne

Oh gosh. I too must have missed your earlier posts on Melodys sickness. I am so sorry you are going through this, I know what she means to you.

We are sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Karen

Australia

Wow! I just can't believe they don't have a clue what's going on with her. Be a good research project for them once they get it figured out! I sure hope she comes out of this so she can go home!
default_smile.png

Brandi, I 'm crossing my fingers for Melody..

Let us know tomorrow how shes doing...

I cannot believe this is happening to you. Poor Melody looks so pitiful laying there like that>

I swear Brandi, you are just having a horrid run of bad luck here. I really am pulling for you guys

something awful here.

Awww Brandi I am so sorry to hear this... I too have been busy with preparing to move down that way actually. I cant believe sweet Melody is sick. We here at PMH are rooting for her and a speedy recovery. I sure hope she comes home soon. Breaks my heart to see her in there though. *hugs* Message me if you need me for anything. Either either on here or on myspace.

C'mon Melody! Please get well again. You have a new friend at home and an owner who is sick with worry for you.
default_no.gif

I'm so glad you got to have that special time with her today Brandi, she really needs you there.

xox Leonie xox

Brandi --

Hoping so hard there there is good news and some answers soon!!!!

Jill

Good Morning everyone,

I just called and spoke with the vet and unfortunately Melody's fever is still going strong. At the moment it is down but that has been the norm for he past 3 days. It is low in the morning and then gradually gets higher. She spiked up to 105.4 last night so they pretty much had to give her baths again all night. The doctor is waiting for her fever to spike up again and then she is going to pull some blood work. If it doesn't spike by this afternoon then she will go ahead and pull it anyways. I PRAY it doesn't!!! The doctor says it is strange that she hasn't broke out with a runny nose, runny eyes or any other signs of sickness that could tell them more about what she has. Hopefully the blood work will tell them more. If it shows bacteria then she can put Melody on antibiotics. If it doesn't then I have no idea what the next step will be. I am getting ready to go see her now. Please, Please Please keep Miss Melody in your prayers
default_pray.gif

default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif
:pray Oh Brandi, poor miss Melody! Hoping & praying that her fever doesn't go up again. Give her hugs from all of us, hope to hear good news soon! Hang in there for Melody, sending hugs your way.

~Rebecca

keeping Miss Melody in my prayers, sending good thoughts your way too.
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Was hoping for better news today. Hang in there Brandi, I know this is very hard for you. Hoping for a better day for Melody and for the vets to find some answers.
default_pray.gif

I am wondering why they would not put her on an antibiotic like clavamox or penicillen anyway? Could that be harmful?

I know it's not the same, but we had a little dog that was fine in the morning and droopy in the afternoon.

We spent about 5 days with her "perking up then drooping again". We were giving penicillen by needle.

The vet said he didn't know what was going on but she had a temp and there was some infection somewhere so he put her on clavamox which is like penicillen but better(tablet form).

We never found out what was wrong but she was better in 5 days and perfect at the end of the 10 day period.

Just wondering
default_no.gif

When I arrived to see Melody today my poor baby girl had tremors running through every part of her body. To top it off she didn't want her carrots, apples and applesauce
default_crybaby.gif
I sat with her and she immediately layed down next to me. There she lay with her whole body twitching. I tried to comfort her but she was so uncomfortable. So I notified the tech of what was going on and he went and let the doc know. They checked her temp and it had spiked again plus her heart rate was really elevated. The doc decided to give her a sedative to lower her heart rate. I sat with her for about 30 minutes and then she jumped up and started doing the same stuff all over again. She was pawing, taking a few steps forward and then back, LOOKING AT HER BELLY
default_gaah.gif
. I'm just gonna lose it! I'm telling you. I couldn't hold it together for the vet. I was crying so hard when she first came in. They took another blood panel and everything is still normal. Her globulin is still a bit off but it has been. It was the first time she got sick too. The way I understand it is that they aren't putting her on antibiotics because her blood work shows no signs of infection. They are still saying that it's some kind of virus and antibiotics won't work for a virus. So that's the update for now. I would say she is a lot worse today which makes me very sad
default_sad.png
I had to leave because I couldn't bare to see her that way anymore.

Oh and there was a big horse in the stall next to her that was DEAD!
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
His gut twisted. Didn't do much to make me feel better
default_sad.png

DSC05767.jpg

Can they do an MRI of her stomach? Did they rule out ulcers? Twisted small gut? Sorry I just can't believe they can't get to the bottom of this. I am so sorry!

Oh, Brandi!!! My heart goes out to you so much right now!!! I pray that she starts to get better soon and that you can have some answers. If there isn't an answer as to "why" she is sick, you're going to feel like a dark cloud is hanging over your head waiting to make this happen again. Please God let there be some answers and improvement soon!

Brandi,

Your picture of Melody mad me cry!! I am so sorry for what you are going thru...

I just wish to heck they would figure it out and get your sweet girl onto recovery..

Missy

[SIZE=12pt]Brandi-[/SIZE]

I feel so bad for you and poor little Melody. Just wondering what they are doing to try and control the fever - have they called any university hospitals to get ideas. I know it is so frustrating and heartbreaking for you. My thoughts and prayers are with you both. I sure hope for a better update - SOON!!!!

Barbie

Latest posts

Back