Update on Melody

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brandi,

I am so sorry that your poor little Melody is going though this. We had some kind of virus come through here a while back and it seemed similar to what you are going through, but it only lasted about 3 days. There were no runny noses or cloughing and I don't think the temps got that high. The temps would spike up and down and they would all eat fine. I keep thinking and hoping that the next message I will read it that it is over and Melody is back to normal! How is her pooh? If it is loose maybe the could give her some biosponge which absorbs 95% percent of viruses in there gut. I was also thinking maybe they should start some ulcer meds to keep her from getting ulcers from the banamine. I don't think either of those things have any side affects. I know how helpless you must feel.

Shelia B.

Oh my gosh, I have been following these threads for the past couple of days.....I sure wish I had some sort of words of wisdom, sorry.....I don't.

Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you and Melody at this time......I sure hope they figure out

what is going on with your little girl.
default_wub.png

This is so hard. I wish I could make it all better for all of you. My heart is hurting.
default_sad.png

Oh Brandi,

Prayers for Miss Melody

default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
They have had her on the ulcer meds since the beginning to help prevent ulcers. The vet did say she was going to start her on some other oral meds to help with ulcers. At least if I knew what was wrong I would know how worried I should be. I just don't have a good feeling at all
default_no.gif

Brandi,

I am so very sorry to hear she is not improving, yet.

I have read with such interest many of your various Miss Melody posts over the months…. and I know she is a very spunky little girl. (She can fight this!!) I am sure your visits to her are doing her much good. Just hang in there. You and Melody are in my thoughts and prayers.

-Becky

default_no.gif
Oh Brandi I was hoping to get a better update, my heart bleeds for you and poor Miss Melody. I can't believe they haven't been able to find out what it is. I will keep you and Melody in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted please.

Hugs Yvonne

So sorry to hear about Melody... I hope she's feeling better soon.

Brandi, I am so sorry that Melody isn't feeling good yet, My prayers are going out to her in hopes she starts feeling better soon.

Brandi, Still praying for you and Melody. This little girl of yours really is one that has that extra bit of spunk/spark
default_yes.gif
Please try and hang in there.

Karen

Australia

I am so sorry to here that Melody is doing poorly, I hope you can fine out what is wrong with her soon. Big virtual hug for you!

I couldn't help but go back down there and see how she was doing. I think the staff is getting a little annoyed that I am there so often but oh well. The vet did come in and update me. She said they were getting ready to oil Melody because her stool was a bit hard and she is showing slight signs of colic. She said she isn't charging for it so it shouldn't affect my insurance coverage (THANK GOD)! She also said that she spoke with the other vet and they decided to start Melody on some antibiotics. They are also, as we speak poking a hole in her trachea to retrieve a sample to send in to the lab. She asked me to leave since they were getting ready to do all of that. I gladly agreed. I was just happy they are doing more testing. Melody did look better than when I saw her this morning. She wasn't trembling anymore and she seemed a little more perky. Still pawing off and on and she even bit me
default_rolleyes.gif
She usually knows better but I guess she knows she can get away with it right now. Maybe she was releasing all her pent up frustration. The vet is supposed to call with an update later this evening after they have completed everything they were going to do.

P.S. Honestly, you guys can't even imagine how many times I come and check this thread. Your support means so much to me.

I am glad to hear that she was at least feeling better than this morning. I keep think that this virus has to be ending soon! Melody is a strong little girl and she is getting the best of care. I will be waiting to hear the update. All of her counts have remained good. That is a good sign! Once the fevers stop she could get back to normal very soon! Did they tell you how high her fevers got today?

Shelia B.

Shelia,

I think the highest her fever was today (so far) was 104. something. So it wasn't quite as high as it has been but then she added in the trembling and colic like behavior. The vet is surprised that her poo is a bit dry because she has so much liquid going into her body from the IV. That's why she wanted to go ahead and oil her, just in case. Before today Melody had shown no signs of colic. Maybe the stress is getting to her.

With the fluids they are giving her maybe they just were getting to the right places with her fever being so high. The oil and water will help get them there. I just feel so bad for! I am glad her fever is starting to spike lower. I hope this means the virus is on it's way out.

Don't worry about them getting annoyed with you! You know your little girl better than they do! You may even see something they don't see. In my opinion you are helping them because you are watching when they are not. I am sure Melody finds comfort in you being there. i bet she bit you because she was just so happy you were there and just didn't know how else to let you know. I will be watching for your update.

Shelia B.

Sheila is right Brandi. Dont worry what the vets think of you being there. Im sure Melody looks foward to your visits.

I know first hand how much your forum family can help at times like this. Just know we are all here for you.

Still praying and sending positive thoughts.

Karen

Australia

It sounds like your presence does Melody a lot of good. I am sorry she is still struggling, but she's in good hands (theirs AND yours). I'll be looking for a positive update tomorrow!

It's so comforting to know that Melody bit you
default_wacko.png
It means she still has some spark left in her little fighting spirit. Brandi, she is a fighter, full of life, so she will pull through just fine. And who cares what the vets think with you visiting so often. If it were my horses, I'd set up bed beside them! I'm sure the vets would be concerned if you didn't visit. You are just be a responsible, caring owner. Your love for your little girl will get her through this.

I'm thinking of you both often.

xox Leonie xox

The vet called and said they just finished with everything. They had a hard time doing the trachea wash because she is so small but they got it done. She said she is waking up now and is already wanting something to eat. They got the oil in her and started her on her first doses of antibiotics. She is one every 6 hours and another every 24 hours. I hope it helps! I probably won't find much out tomorrow since it's Sunday but I will let you guys know how she is doing once I get back from visiting her. I am really hoping her temp is down by then.

Maplegum,

When I was sitting on the stall floor this afternoon, Melody was being pushy and trying to walk all over me again. I took it as a good sign because she usually is pretty bossy
default_rolleyes.gif
But the biting I wasn't so sure about. I don't think she has ever followed through with one of her bites until today. At any rate I know she feels better when I am there so that's why I keep going. I was wondering how it must look for a grown woman to be going into the stall and sitting with a miniature horse for hours. But I really don't care. I wish more owners would do the same. No one likes to be alone when they are sick. I just feel bad. She is just a baby and doesn't understand anything that is happening to her
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back