Update on Melody

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am glad to hear that the infection is breaking up! That is really good news! Yes, they can get so full of infection that it is hard to 'hear it'. Has your vet had Melody breathe into a plastic bag (like a grocery sack)and then he/she listens to her lungs? Does her breath smell like poo? When our little one had pneumonia at 3 months age, she had a terrible odor coming from her mouth. And, I might add, she has never had any further trouble with anything- healthy as an ox- and she is now two yrs old! So, your baby may never have any further issues after she recovers.
default_smile.png

Once our vet traded us some hay for their services. Talk with your vets- they may surprise you about how much they will help you out financially.

Hoping to hear good news tomorrow!!

Peggy

Last edited by a moderator:
Peggy,

The vet had Melody breathe into a plastic bag the very first day she went to the vet. There was never any noise. I bet there is now though. Thank you for the encouragement. I will need it if she makes it through this. My husband will need some encouraging too
default_rolleyes.gif

I am praying your girl makes a full recovery. I hope to God she doesn't have issues with ulcers/GI track issues. That is another nightmare in itself.

Keep focused on the positive but make sure your vets are BRUTALLY honesest with you. Nothing is worse that a vet that sugar coats things.

As far as GI issues and ulcers, they can lead to a horse that is succeptable to GI bacterial infections and Enteritis, The horse seems to have mild colic, but has gut sound and poops, and may pick at feed/hay, but doesn't really eat it. They greatly reduce or go off their water. Usually they have reflux when tubed because of the inflamation in their small intestine. It progresses from there, esp. if not given fluids and taken off thier feed.

That is a whole issue in itself, I don't think it is anything you care to hear about right now. It is just important that the vets are hopeful but not misleading you about what can happen, especially if she pulls through but they tell you she does have ulcers/ enteritis/ or GI issues.

I am sending you the very best thoughts and prayers for a positive outcome.

Carolyn

Brandi, I feel so badly for you! I just want to give you some positive thoughts about sick horses: I have had a few, one weanling filly that had colic surgery, came through it doing great and is now nine years old and has given birth to gorgeous foals, and is "healthy as a horse". I've also had a horse that suddenly came down with ulcers, it seemed very drastic and awful, but I gave her a course of Gastrogard (and retired her from showing) and she's never had another problem. Another, a foal born awfully early, he had problem after problem, including pnuemonia, but with intense loving care he recovered and grew up to be a healthy, sassy (tiny) colt.
default_smile.png
Just because a horse has health problems doesn't mean that they always will, although you have had WAY more than your share of health problems just with Melody. Try to think positively, and know that there are many, many of us praying for you both.
default_yes.gif

The vet called awhile ago and said that she seems more alert today and she ate her breakfast. She is still showing signs of abdominal discomfort so he is going to do an ultrasound on her abdomen to see if there is fluid in there. He said the trachea wash results most likely won't come back till tomorrow. They have also stopped the banamine now and she is maintaining a low grade fever but nothing too bad. I was really hoping the trachea wash results would be in today. I will not be able to see her today because I have a tube in my nose, down my throat into my stomach. It's a PH test and I have to carry this box around that reads how much acid I am producing over 24 hours. I can't take a shower until they take it out tomorrow morning so it is best if I don't see Melody. I don't want to get the new guy sick again. At this point I am becoming numb to all of this. I hope we get some kind of news soon.

Check into CareCredit.com ASAP. Also ask your vet about making payments directly to them. I'm sure there'll be other ideas shared here soon.

I am so glad to read your post! i was starting to get worried! I know you must be completly drained by all of this! This sounds like good news to me! i am hoping the abdonminal discomfort is just due to not eating properly for the past week and the oil.

PH test!?? Tube in your nose
default_new_shocked.gif
I have never heard of such a thing! I hope that turns out fine. Keep us posted.

Shelia B.

[SIZE=12pt]Brandi-[/SIZE]

Just a thought - I don't know what they are feeding her now that she is eating again, but I had a mare who had chronic ulcers until I had her scoped the end of last year. That doctor (Dr Porter from the University of Florida) said to keep her on ulcerguard for 6 weeks - her diet was to consist of NO sweet feed as that irritates. She lived on soaked beet pulp and alfalfa for a couple of months and then I moved her to Safe Choice by Nutrena. That was what she was on when I placed her the end of the year and I guess it is still working as I've had no bad news. I'm still paying vet bills from her bouts with ulcers (of course, the vet didn't diagnose the ulcers - our Robin Cole suggested it to me). Anyway, I am rambling - good luck with Melody.

Barbie

Barbie,

She does get a ration of omolene 300 at each meal. I have thought about taking her off of it completely but she just loves it. She eats it before her pellets and then throughout the whole meal kicks her bucket trying to get more omolene to magically appear :DOH! Once I know what we are dealing with here I will def. make whatever changes are needed. I just want her to get better.

Shelia,

I too hope that the abdominal discomfort is just a side effect to whats been going on. I am really worried about it being ulcers. The vet told the insurance that it is highly unlikely that ulcers alone could cause what she has been dealing with. Of course the insurance wants the results back from the trachea wash. I am almost hoping the trachea wash shows something because then at least we would have an answer and I could breathe a little easier knowing that the insurance is going to pay for at least part of this monster.

Magic,

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I am going to need them even once she is better! I need to believe that this kind of thing isn't normal and that she can be healthy and not run us into the ground. I need to believe it so I can make my husband believe it.

And thank you to everyone else for checking in. You guys have been my escape. My family just looks at me in disbelief that I am still letting this go on. What else am I supposed to do? I refuse to put an animal down just because I have other plans for our money or because we might be set back a bit. It gives me comfort that my husband is still hanging in there and on the same page as me.

Dr. Brooks just called and said that the ultra sound of her abdomen looks normal. So that's good except it still leaves us with no answers. He said he just wants to wait for the results of the trachea wash now. He says she has shown improvement over the last 36 hours with the antibiotics. I asked if she has started to show any other symptoms and he said no. Her lungs still sound clear and her nose hasn't continued running. He also said the cough could be from the trachea wash. So pretty much we still don't have any answers other than there is no infection going on in her abdomen.

Wonderful News!
default_aktion033.gif
Sometimes you can spend a fortune on tests and still not find the answers, but if she is getting better that's the most important thing.

Shelia B.

Brandi i haven't been on in a few days, so sorry to be late with my good wishes and prayers for you and for little miss Melody!! hang in there!

and do talk to your vet about payments, when i lost Justice i told mine there is no way i can pay this bill, they are pretty sticky about wanting to be paid right away on the "small" bills but for a larger one they usually understand that most people don't have that kind of money laying around. and if it gets really bad, i will be happy to send a small contribution to help out and i'd be willing to bet that quite a few folks on this forum would do the same. a little bit doesn't hurt any one person and when you add them all together they DO help... so please don't be shy, let me know if you need help!! your stories and pictures of Melody have brightened my day many a time and i would be honored to assist.

and give your husband a big hug and don't be shy about telling him how much you love this horse... my husband would be the first to say that he does NOT understand how i feel or why i feel that way, but he still listens and accepts that i DO feel that way, even if he doesn't get it, and he tries to be there for me. but if i didn't keep telling him, i know it would be different. communication!!!

I am so glad to hear she has some signs of improvement. Sorry for being a downer in my prev. post. I too have done all I could for a horse or two in the past. Trust me, the bills were crippling. One had a great outcome, one not so great. I am still sending in payments.

It is just nice when a vet can be honest enough to say, we will do all we can but this is the situation.......

Glad to hear good news

Thank you so much Susan for your generous offer. It really is a great feeling when someone you have never even met offers help in such a big way. You are truly amazing
default_yes.gif
I am hoping that the insurance will cover most of it and it won't come to anyone doing without. I won't ever forget your kindness.

Brandi, I would be happy to also help in a monetary way if required, as well.

Thinking outside of the box.....and it likely is something beyond our capability........ but as a "Forum Community" if we were all to contribute a small amount every year to a "Forum Hardship Fund" held in a bank account ,with say, 3 of the moderators, for instance, being the "gatekeepers".

It would be in place for cases where we have fellow members who are in very dire straits and without any hope.

I worked for a financial institution who had something like this for staff and it was a wonderful help and never abused.

Cases were presented and all or part of the need was provided depending on the individual cases.

Just thinking....................

Thank you Genie!
default_wub.png
I too think that would be a great cause. I would be happy to contribute to such a fund. If it could even keep one owner from having to put their baby down just because they can't afford it, that would be wonderful
default_yes.gif
I think it is a very interesting idea for the future of LB. It would bring the word "family" even more into play when it comes to this forum
default_yes.gif

I don't have an update on Melody yet. I plan to go see here in a little while. I am hoping for a BIG improvement
default_pray.gif

Brandi,

Whats the news on Melody today?? I have been checking to see how she is..

Missy

Latest posts

Back