A problem horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thathorsecrazychick

Way to much time to spend on my horse
Reaction score
Ok this is not my horse but my friends. She has a mini horse named ash and he has been going after her dogs, chickens, and has reared up, kicked, and bit her. She said she is going to try a calming medicine but idk what this little mini needs. I’m concerned someone or something might eventually get really hurt.

She said he seems to get stressed out, but also maybe out of the blue when their hanging out seem to go after her. It also seems like he’s scared of a good amount things, very sensitive, and seems just more untrained. She’s had him for a good while.

What do you think he needs, more training?, separation from other animals… Or what does he need work on. Just wanted to ask to see if anyone has delt with a horse like this?

You are absolutely on the right track when you mention training, and your concern over someone, person or animal, being injured is justified.

This little guy needs some educated and firm training, not harsh or brutal, simply clear, consistent, and firm. Medication has its place but is not a long term solution. Is Ash a stallion by any chance?

Does your friend have access to an experienced horse person? By now, she may be intimidated by him and not able to be consistent in his daily work, which is understandable. Sometimes we all need that neutral party that can take an objective look.

Ash needs a daily routine starting with the most basic steps, walk, halt, stand, tie, be brushed, go on a walk on leadline, and working up to being the good horse he no doubt can be with time. Minis are little to us, but mentally they are all horse and need to learn how to live and work with people just like their big cousins.

Good for you in reaching out on their behalf! I think you will get good responses with ideas and suggestions you can share!

There is also no shame or blame in rehoming a horse that just isn’t a good fit!

You are absolutely on the right track when you mention training, and your concern over someone, person or animal, being injured is justified.

This little guy needs some educated and firm training, not harsh or brutal, simply clear, consistent, and firm. Medication has its place but is not a long term solution. Is Ash a stallion by any chance?

Does your friend have access to an experienced horse person? By now, she may be intimidated by him and not able to be consistent in his daily work, which is understandable. Sometimes we all need that neutral party that can take an objective look.

Ash needs a daily routine starting with the most basic steps, walk, halt, stand, tie, be brushed, go on a walk on leadline, and working up to being the good horse he no doubt can be with time. Minis are little to us, but mentally they are all horse and need to learn how to live and work with people just like their big cousins.

Good for you in reaching out on their behalf! I think you will get good responses with ideas and suggestions you can share!

There is also no shame or blame in rehoming a horse that just isn’t a good fit!
I’m pretty sure he is a gelding. I don’t know how attached she is to him but I wanted to help her out if I could. thank you 🙏

An animal that goes after other animals usually needs to be separated from them. I've never heard of anybody successfully teaching a horse not to be a jerk when he or she is loose. As far as his behavior with his owner, he needs training and probably an owner with more experience, or some training for the owner. I don't think any kind of calming supplement is going to fix bad training. Although it might make the training go easier.

An animal that goes after other animals usually needs to be separated from them. I've never heard of anybody successfully teaching a horse not to be a jerk when he or she is loose. As far as his behavior with his owner, he needs training and probably an owner with more experience, or some training for the owner. I don't think any kind of calming supplement is going to fix bad training. Although it might make the training go easier.
I agree. Calming supplement is not the answer. Some owners just don't have the time or training for a "problem horse". Another factor to consider is pain: I knew of a horse that had a personality change when his painful dental problems were addressed. The owner could try a dose or two of banamine and see if he acted better; this would be an indication that his behavior could be pain related.

How old? Is he the only equine she has? Gelding or intact? [Did she witness the gelding procedure, or did he come as a "gelding"? Might need to have him checked out (by a vet) and make sure someone didn't pull a fast one and only remove one, cause the other was retained, a retained testicle can be a cause of crappy behavior.] How much experience does she have? Not that diet is a cure all, but what is the horse's diet? All the details.

Ok this a lot at once but, he came gelded, hes 13, yes he is the only horse but has goats chickens etc with him, he also kicks when you pick up his back feet, it dosent seem like its pain related before his feet were not done and that was causeing him discomfort their done now, she has done a lot of things with horses but those were more riding related not anything with minis, he came from some people who let him just live his life more just like a wild pony in the field, his diets just hay right now I think. He has always been a single horse for the most of his life no herd mates. His behavior has always been more dominant from day 1 he has had "problems" with his feet getting handled, leading, and being caught.. I think you can get him haltered now when you approach him. He didnt use to go after the animals execpt maybe biting the dogs and all that but that just seemed like behavior that was more normal, you know the dog comes in his space etc. But now it seems like he targets them and now the chickens well I dont know about the goats. Their are some things that are just not known so its hard to understand this horses story of why he acts this. But this a lot of the details I remember.

I’d get vet out to check it’s nothing physical eg hearing, eyesight etc, or pain related. Then go through process of elimination … could he be bored, need to be out where he can’t access the other animals when loose etc. I agree with then getting advice to have exercises to do with him & maybe have someone come to coach owner & mini or have mini go away for training with someone else.

Please do not suggest ‘getting rid’ of him unless you give full disclosure of his behaviour & that he would go to an experienced mini handler

Last edited:
I’d get vet out to check it’s nothing physical eg hearing, eyesight etc, or pain related. Then go through process of elimination … could he be bored, need to be out where he can’t access the other animals when loose etc. I agree with then getting advice to have exercises to do with him & trying (righter have some one come to coach owner & mini or have mini go away for training with someone else.

Please do not suggest ‘getting rid’ of him unless you give full disclosure of his behaviour & that he would go to an experienced mini handler
I definitely don’t want to suggest that at all because I know she probably doesn’t want to do that so I wanted see if their something she could do about these behaviors if she really is wanting to keep him. Because I have a mini to but I did not go through this behavior with Rosie. She was different I made a problem by me getting scared to pick her feet because she nipped me once and being inconsistent with her so she would nip me almost every time. I’m not scared of stuff like that anymore though just cautious. Rosie’s taught me a lot. But I also lucked out as well. So I don’t know again what you would do about these things also because he is not my horse and I don’t know him that well. But I decided to try to find advice so hopefully no one ends up getting seriously hurt.

Horses are so very honest about who they are, we just aren't very good at paying attention, you know? No discredit to the current owners.
My good friend has acquired several "wild" ponies, minimal handling, haltered in a chute, never had feet done, that kind of thing. The most recent came intact and on a mission. He would come at her biting or wheel and double barrel. It was all fixed in very short order though with a quick understanding of YOU WILL NOT address me that way. How do horses tell each other their behavior is not appropriate? By the means they feel is necessary. A horse in a herd understands that. Anyways, she addressed it once on the front end, and again on the hind end, he learned quickly that there was no harm to come of him and he quickly became friendly and respectful.

I would encourage a situation like this for the human to become the LEADER first and the friend after, when it's safe to do so. By displaying the "nonthreatening" behavior, the horse becomes the one in charge and that can be just dangerous. Perhaps your friend doesn't have the confidence, skill or experience to deal with it - it's not for everyone! But to start with the general boundaries of YES and NO and to be incredibly consistent will help that pony out a great deal. If they can't do it, perhaps an established herd of mares could... cause old girls don't put up with any nonsense!

Lots of horses will chase animals out of their space. That's just something they do, and if the other animals don't get out of the way fast enough, it can get ugly. As for the rest of it, if she is firm on wanting to try to fix this herself I suggest she take on one behavior at a time, and bring a whip or lead rope into the pen with her at all times. It's natural for a horse to want to bite, kick and rear. It's your job as the person handling the horse to teach him not to do it near you.

Oh Bentley had a lot of these behaviors when I first got him. He was very dominant, lived with goats, and would walk circles around the previous owner while constantly biting her. Not good. We have had to have several discussions along the way! He wasn’t nice to her goats either.

The first thing I did was geld him. The second thing that really helped him was having another horse friend to put him in his place. He still gives my Stormy a run for his money, they tend to bicker a lot, but Stormy is still in charge and Bentley is only 2 and a half yo or so. Bentley hates being at the bottom of the totem pole, he thinks he should be at the top 🤣🤣

And the third thing that helped him was me to put him in his place 😁 I would carry a whip at all times. The first time he tried to bite me, I went after him like a CRAZY woman! He didn’t try to bite again for a very long time. Now every once in a while he will kindly test the waters and I do gently remind him that yes in fact I am still in charge. Any behavioral issues or bad habits I have had with him towards humans has been fixed in a very short time. There can be only one alpha mare at my house 😁😁

For some horses, goats are enough to keep them company, but for my Bentley he NEEDED other horses. Might be the case for your friends horse 🤷🏻‍♀️ He still hates dogs and cats in “his” pasture, I cringe when my cat goes in there, but it is his pasture after all. Horses can be very territorial!!

Yes the horse needs training but so does your friend on how to discipline a horse. Might be too much for her, she may need to rehome him and find a calmer horse. If she rehomes him and gets another horse and if she isn’t a strong leader, this could happen again with a different horse.

Sorry, I don’t care if a horse is sick or in pain, this type of behavior is NEVER allowed!

I also agree with a lot of this advice. It honestly what I would do if Rosie started acting like this… she would be at the other end of the field if started with this behavior. I don’t think she ever will though she actually doesn’t like running or being that high of energy on general anyway 🤣

Latest posts

Back