Un breedable mares..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlesteppers

Reaction score
I have 4 mares around that will never have foals again..One is OLD and has very bad joints..she has been used as a baby machine..I got her when she was 16 and she had 11 folas :new_shocked:

One had a Bad dystocia when she had her very first foal..foal died..she has extensive scaring..vet said she will never have another foal..One gave me 5 foals and is Now 19..and one just never took..No matter how many times you breed her..

Well I am very fond of these ladies and they will just stick around the rest of their lifes.

Has anybody else ladies just sticking around..and babysitting..or mowing lawn?

from a business point absolutly rediculious..BUT good for the HEART!!
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

I've got 4 gals hanging around that either aren't breedable for a medical reason or aren't breeding quality. I'm afraid to ever offer them for sale or for adoption because since they have no "function" some people may lose interest in them and who knows where they'd end up. I know I just can't keep taking on more and more charity cases but where are they going to go? I worry what the future holds for them. :no:

I only have a small place but have one of my 3 mares that is 5 and has not yet carried a foal to term.

The only clear thing I know is that the owner I got her from bred her once and she slipped about a 1/3 of the way in.

IF she doesn't take from the breeding we did about a mth ago she will be shown.

I am new to minis but don't think every mini needs to be bred or are of breeding quality... I think between the low cost and easy temperment as well as alot of beginer (or just people that ALL they want are pets) alot of people seem to bred minis for the sake of it.

I applaud you for keeping them

I know that there are alot of us that have minis more for the HEART of it then the dollars and cents part.

We also have several mares we have chosen not to breed for various reasons. One had a C section this spring, one outgrew her A papers and she is not R registered, and one has nerve damage in her hips and she doesn't need to have a baby. They are all good girls and will have a lifetime home here as living "yard art." We may breed the one who outgrew her papers to a mini donkey, but we haven't decided yet. There isn't a health issue with her, she is just too big for our mini horse breeding program. Then we also have three little fillies who aren't old enough yet to breed. They are all keepers. Even if they aren't breed worthy, they are love worthy.

Yep, I will have an several mares that I have had most of their lives and they won't leave.

I have a mare that is 20. She'll have her last foal next year and I'll retire her. She deserves it in my mind to have a good home for the rest of her remaining life. So she'll stay at my place.

I think with the older mares and some with medical problems, if you can find them a home where someone wants them just for pets, let them adopt them. The younger ones can still be shown. A great amatuer or youth home.

But like posted above, sometimes its best just to keep them if you aren't sure about where they are going. Its hard sometimes to find good homes becuase you never know if the person is telling the truth. I know a few of those types of people who will claim to give them good homes and then sell them in 2 months. Horse traders is all they are.

Yes, we, too, have a mare that has lost two foals. She won't be bred again, and she will be with us for life. She's 29.75" and is the sweetest mare ever!

Pam C.

I have two beautiful, wonderful mares. I don't breed them, I just love them. They will be will be always. They are more valuable to me as my wonderful friends than for anything they could ever produce.

Yes in my thoughts is a extension of the other posting.

Again it is the breeders responsibility if the mare was a good producer and is unable to continue producing, to let them live out their lives in a familiar environment until they die.

Look at Dell Tera's Ms. Indepedence. That mare went thru 8 owners until we got her and was 21 years old. I called every one I could to figure out why they sold her. The answer. Couldn't catch her. We owned her 8 years and she had one foal but heck it wouldn't have mattered to me. She was a legend. Produced the sire to Adonis. That alone give her the right to a home that cared.

It took me 2 yrs to get her to trust me. Even in the end she would take off at a slow trot ( couldn't run anymore because of being foundered in the past and arthritis) from strangers. But she knew if I can out I wouldn't give up and she would just stand there and get a treat.

And Painted Sue is 18 yrs old. Nancy from Woodstock North knew last year when I got her as I give her my word that Sue will remain here forever. Sue deserves that.

All mares deserve that. I have alot of mine that I would never sell and are in their mid teens now. My best producers. They will stay here forever.

Aww!
default_wub.png
: It's nice to hear so many people are giving their girls forever homes. It's very distressing for me to see the ads for 20+ year old mares. We have a retired herd of mares. One is a super sensitive mare--chronic founderer that had her last foal at 12 years. She had three for us, and while she's a great producer it just took too much out of her. She's been retired for six years now and is doing well with R&R and a lot of personal attention. Another is a 15 year old ex-show mare that has a genetic defect that has caused her back legs to twist as she ages. We never bred her, never will--we love her, but couldn't with any conscience risk passing such a sad disorder on. The third had two breeches. Several years apart, with three healthy foals in between, but that second one was the red flag. She's a robust 23 this year (retired for seven years now). There's a fourth girl that we just didn't consider breeding quality anymore, but she's currently leased out to a cousin as his daughter's first pony. So that's our little herd of queens.
default_wub.png
:

I fully agree..many of these grand ol' Ladies deserve it..here is to the OLD Broodmares!! YEAHHHH..

We have several older mares - one 28 and still a independent little stink! We will give our older mares away to pet homes - references are checked and a contract is signed that if ever the home loses interest, can't afford care, or just plain doesn't want the animal anymore - it comes back to me - and I will take care of the transporting, etc. That is the only way we will give one away. Most of ours are very used to children and even at 20+ are great to put the little grandchild on for a walk around; we have had one go to a friend that teaches riding - she uses the mini to teach the children to groom before they even begin to ride. That mare gets groomed, etc several times a day and loves all the attention. I'm not against giving them away if good homes are found and you can part with them. Old Ginger I will never part with - can't think of what life would be like if I didn't have her to argue with
default_smile.png

We have an older mare who will be 18 years this spring. She is currently in foal, and this will be her 13th baby. So far, she's in great condition, and her foals do really well, but when the time comes for her to stop breeding, she has a home here until she dies. The only other person we would give her to would be her previous owner. We are her 3rd owners. She can be an old bag about some things, but it's not too difficult to deal with a 33" old bag :bgrin

We have several older mares that will never leave and a couple of mares that due to injuries will never carry a foal - we cherish them. As I look at my pastures and reflect on the ages of many of my girls it is quite evident that before too long I will no longer be breeding because my stalls will be filled with retired mares - it is a choice that I will gladly make, the right one for me. It is hard to find homes where these girls will be loved and cared for as they will be here.

Oh no Stacy we may be in the same boat! But between you, me and Tami Z. there will be alot of old girls that will be spoiled rotten. Maybe we can start the first offical retirement farms for old miniatures.

We have a mare of our breeding that had a bad distocia with her first and only pregnancy and she's never been pregnant since, but she is with us and will remain with us. Our very first mini (a mare) will be retiring soon and will stay with us forever as well.........

MA

I have 3 mares that will never be bred again. They are here for life!!!! Pandora was a brood mare and some of her foals were National champions. She is known as the B***h and doesn't get along with anyone but my non horsey DH. Panda is 24 yr's old. Peaches, who is 12 had 3 foals before a really bad dyscotia. She is my foundered mare. She is here for her life. The other grand lady is Missy an 8 yr old minimal dwarf. Those three and my geldings are here as pets for my great grandchildren and I. I don't know what I'd do without them.... :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
Here, too :bgrin Here, tooo :aktion033: 'GERIATRIC ACRES' will soon be the new farm sign :eek:

Have five mares here who are 19 - 21, excellent health and enjoying life. Gets better.
default_rolleyes.gif
: 2 yrs ago I bought back a little stallion I had owned several years, sadly sold with condition of first right to buy if sold. He was 24 in February :eek: and 5 of the six are 27-28". The other is my 19 y/o, 32" Buckeroo daughter. I am considering one more foal from her.

So, picture THIS --- the little fart squeels and nuzzles through the fenceline and they tease him. Everyone of them is healthy enough to breed, has produced well and all are fertile. Come to my farm and you think they're far younger. It's a hoot. And I am thrilled to have had them all these years.
default_wub.png
:

Added: ooops....mine are not unbreedable, just unbred .
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We have way too many "Lawn Ornaments" who will be here forever -- mares and geldings.

Nothing breaks my heart more than to see older mares -- in their 20's -- going thru' an auction. I remember one very big sale that had a mare who had produced some wonderful babies for a farm. When she hit her 20's, they sent her to a sale.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Absolutely keep them around until their time has come.

I love my beautiful lawn ornament. If she was not also slightly arthritic, I would consider driving her.

JJ

Latest posts

Back