Un breedable mares..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a mini mare that almost always never catches and has had 1 foal but the mare is a National Champ. at driving so she stays here and is driven. Now, big horse wise all our mares have never caught or cant breed or we dont want bred. One mare under the 3rd catagory foundered and the barn owner doesnt want that much stress on her poor feet.

Nothing breaks my heart more than to see older mares -- in their 20's -- going thru' an auction. I remember one very big sale that had a mare who had produced some wonderful babies for a farm. When she hit her 20's, they sent her to a sale.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

This doesn't happen only in minis... I was at a sale and there was an older (early 20s I think) saddle horse went through, a little thin and obviously a little arthritic. The seller rambled on about how the horse had taught all his kids to ride, and all the other wonderful virtues of the horses... Then they sold it for peanuts. I about hit the roof, I have enough horses, so I can't take on any more, especially one with special needs. But that mentality just burns me. Why not let the horse live out his life in peace and comfort or euthanize it, rather than run through an auction to get a few dollars for it.

Oh, and on topic. I do have one mare that will never be bred, and may never be more than a paddock pet. I have a young mare that foundered, due to corn in her beet pulp (I don't buy from that feed mill anymore). She is doing great now, just a little over a year since she could barely stand due to pain from founder. I refuse to breed her, as I would hate to see the weight of pregnancy cause another founder episode. She may or may not be sound enough to train to drive, but we will see.

:aktion033: Woo Hoo I love this topic!!! And I'm showing it to my hubby who thinks I'm crazy for having minis in the first place!!! Hehehehe!!! :aktion033:

And to answer the question, yes I have 2 mares that won't ever be bred living here. I only have 2 girls and both will live here for ever. One is 23 and she is retired from that life and the other is 5 with an off bite so I believe she should never be bred. So my girls just walk around and eat grass, get pets, and thats about it!

How awsome it is to hear and read that we have these girls to love and enjoy! I know I would not trade my girls for anything! I love them!!
default_wub.png
:

Leya

Last edited by a moderator:
I do, several mares and they will all be staying right here. All are breedable, but I prefer not to breed them, I have 6 between the ages 16 and 20. I hate to see where old mares are just put up for sale because they no longer are any use. (Ohhh, dont even get me going on that :no: subject) I have a few 4H girls that come out and love to just be around horses and they will brush and take them for walks, etc. Makes the horses and girls both very happy. I could of sold a few of them, and not for no $100.00 each, but still refused. Here at home I know, they will never be bred, be happy and content. No guarantees if they would be sold. Kitty and Tami, I can join your retirement farm. I have plenty! I also have a gelding party in Oct, planned. THose boys will be staying too. Corinne

Last edited by a moderator:
I NEVER get rid of my old girls or guys.The older non breeding stallions are gelded and kept or broke to drive and given to a kid who will fool with them.The old mares are here until they die.I always evaluate a breeder of any animal by the way they deal with their senior citizens.I have a drop dead gorgeous Bond Chauncey who will be 21 in the spring.Her last foal this year was a red bag colt who didn't make it.She would not adjust anywhere else since she is not very trusting.she is just 1 of several who will be buried here when the time comes, but I hope not soon.she looks like a 5 year old.NICE THREAD.It is so nice to see so many caring Mini owners. As an old former brood mare myself,I am glad I'm still around and have a job.

I am tickled pink that there are so many people out there keeping these old girls around..Pat yourselfs on the back!! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Ever came across a sales addy..20 year old mare bred to a super dee dooper stud..baby will pay for mare..you go check the studbook and this mare had like 200 foals for them..it makes me soo sad. :no: :no:

Yes, I have a wonderful 10 year old silver dapple named Gracie - she is AMHA registered, from the Just bloodlines (probably my favorite lines). I owned her mother Misty, and also her full brother Cody.

Gracie's bite is off, she has a club foot and possibly has inherited IR tendencies from her mom. Those are huge reasons for me NOT to breed her, coupled with the fact that I am not willing to take the inheritant chances that comes with breeding/foaling out.

I don't need to breed her, she does know how to drive but "prefers not to" - so she does what she does best, which is to be a sweet, loving companion and she'll be with me for life.

Liz R.

We have a 9 yr old mare that we're not sure if will ever foal for us but we're going to try one more time with her. If she doesn't foal she'll be done and stay as she's my 3 yr old son's favorite. We also have a 21 yr old mare... if she doesn't get in foal (she seriously wants her own babies) she'll still stay and be a nurse maid to the weaners.

It is great to see so many responsible breeders out there! Nothing upsets me more than to see people run through an auction the mare that has 'given me so much . . .' that they're selling at age 19-24. Maybe it's a smart business decision for the bottom-line, but these aren't cars or paper hats, and I really believe they've given and deserve a spoiled rotten retirement!

Saying that we have a gang of retirees here - two at the young age of 24 - 16 & 15 foals each, and then 3 more retired between 16-22 yrs. I was very fortunate last year to have a off the wall sale - a lady with a back injury, so had to give up riding called and wanted a mare with one more foal in her (wants to raise the foal and keep dam/foal together as companions). She lives about 10 minutes away, and we talked ended up letting her take one of my mares (she's 20 now) with the caveat that if the mare hated it/she couldn't keep her whatever she came back here. The mare had been in the same herd for 16 years and we weren't sure she'd like it there, but she loves it! Goes in the house and has her own place they have chairs in there to visit with her as well as 2 kids - she's spoiled to the max! Those type of dream homes are wonderful, otherwise the horses will retire here that need it.

whew. i have avoided reading this thread since it was started because i was afraid it would be sad... but :aktion033: :aktion033: it's wonderful to hear about all of your "keepers". if any of your old gals have the personality for it, call up your local retirement homes and see about going to visit. the old folks around here LOVE my horses and they can't get enough. lots of people visit with dogs, cats, rabbits... but oh, to see their faces when a little horse comes off the elevator or into their room! my one "keeper" is Foxy, she is only 12-13 but for whatever reason has never gotten pregnant. but she will NEVER leave, she is my extra special visit horse
default_wub.png
: so sweet and gentle, whenever a resident who used to have their own horse wants to hold a rope, it's Foxy they get... one old guy wanted to lead her and the staff said OK so of course it was Foxy he got, and you should have seen the change in her demeanor as soon as he tottered off... she seriously tiptoed, she was being so careful not to put any pressure on that lead rope and maybe knock the man off balance... SO SWEET
default_wub.png
: and he was so happy :bgrin

the "been there done that" mares (or geldings for that matter) are also GREAT first horses for small children... and with a buy-back clause in the contract, i admire the willingness to share with children who otherwise wouldn't be able to have a horse... i was approached by a residential eating disorder treatment facility and decided to sell them one of my mares, she is a hard keeper yet hated to be separated from the herd, now she is a pampered princess with endless 2-legged friends (as well as a few other equines but she does have her own stall to eat so she gets enough - SLOW eater) and they are about to start teaching her to drive... i still put the buy-back clause in though just in case but i don't think we will need it...

Latest posts

Back