Uh oh, early foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know the heating pad will help get her warm! I'm glad the vet visit went well
default_smile.png

Give them a hug for me!
default_yes.gif

Sending prayers your way, and I hope little "nooodle" pulls through!
default_wub.png

Sounds like you've got everything covered and your filly is in good hands. I'll certainly be praying for you both!
default_pray.gif

I had a colt born last year with a cleft palette, and the vet used a tube that looked almost like fish tank tubing (soft and flexible) she actually had to circle it around his ear and stitch it to his head in a couple of places so he couldn't pull it out! Bear in mind he was full term, but we gave him anywhere from 30 to 60 cc's of milk every 2 hours.

Your filly should be getting one ounce of milk per 10 lbs of body weight per hour. So if she weighs 20 lbs, she should be getting 2 ounces per hour or 60 cc.

Thank you Becky!! The vet and I think she weighs just ten pounds at most
default_new_shocked.gif
but I will see what I can get into her, The vet did stitch a nasogastric tube into her, and she was a bit hypothermic, so she's now lying on a heating pad (folded inside a towel) wearing a fleece baby blanket, and directly underneath the Kalglo heater which is set on high. I'll have to monitor her temp at least hourly and see how she does.

The vet asked me how often I could feed her: eight times a day, four times a day? I thought "I can do way more than that" and I said "whatever it takes!" and I decided I will be feeding her every hour all day, then probably cut back to every two hours for part of the night. It's just me here, hubby is working out of town, so I'll just have to get some naps here and there in between feedings. I've done it before for foals, and heck, I've had kids, lol!
default_laugh.png
Noodle will need twice daily Naxcel shots too-- I hate that, poor babies end up like pincushions, and when they are this early there is next to no muscle at all on them to put the shot into. :DOH! The vet told me that I could take Noodle to the clinic if necessary, but I told her that I've got experience running an IV if Noodle should need it, and I have cameras in the stalls, and nowhere to be but here.
default_wink.png
She said that it sounded like Noodle would be better off at home than at the clinic.
default_wub.png

The vet will be back tomorrow to do an IGg test, and she took blood to see what her proteins and stuff are at right now. It's almost time to feed Noodle Baby again, and I did take some pics of her, I just haven't downloaded them yet or posted them on Photobucket, I'll do that when I get back inside again. I'll start a new thread introducing her, since now I think that she WILL make it. In fact, I refuse to accept any other outcome!
default_wub.png

Thanks SO much for all the support, everyone! I will have to keep rereading your posts when I get so tired I think I can't take it anymore. I got only two hours sleep last night, but strangely enough I'm still going.
default_saludando.gif

I am glad things are sounding so positive! I know you have a lot of work ahead but I truly believe she will be just fine. I know it will be hard on you but I know you have done it before with the outcome being happy healthy normal foals.

Just make sure you do nap in between(that is why they have alarms right
default_wink.png
) so you don't get sick and eat to! Anxious to see Noodle

Thinking good thoughts that Noodle comes thru all this...poor baby! But, with a "mommy" like you, she should do fine!!
default_smile.png

You can definitely add me to the list of people saying prayers for your little Noodle. Please let us know how things are going. I don't know how much help I'd be but would offer it in a heartbeat if I was close to you.

Thanks for the update Lori. I just know she'll make it...afterall, she is in the best of hands there with you! Hang in there, and
default_luck.gif

I am praying for little Noodle. I know she is in good hands!

Beth

Check out Gails topic regarding the ng tube.\

We too had a foal that had a suck reflex, tho a little weak but could not latch on due to seizures from what the vet speculated as a red bag delivery. I found them only minutes after the mare had given birth. My vet sewed the tube in as I just could not get the hang of doing it myself. It was left in for 5 days, we syringed milk from the mare into the tube every hour for the 1st 3 days and then slowly lengthened the time between feedings,,on the 5th day I took her back to the vet because the tube which had several holes in the bottom had gotten clogged and I did not use the force needed with a syringe and water to unplug it, at that point we decided to let her get really hungry and see if she would nurse and on the evening of the 5th day she finally nursed.

Hang on little Noodle girl.....Lori, you must be so exhausted! I keep hoping for the update that she's stronger and turned the corner.

Back